Name Change

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with my confusion on this.

My Wife and I got married here in the UK under the fiance visa, She has now got her BRP as of today.

She is Brazilian and i'm from the UK, We want change her name on her passport in Brazil but in order to do that they require something like a drivers licence to confirm the change.

Due to rules her maiden name is on our marriage certificate, my question is, can she start using my last name here in the UK to build up a profile? Like is it possible for her to open a Bank account with my last name etc?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jack

Hi All,
Hopefully someone can help me with my confusion on this.

My Wife and I got married here in the UK under the fiance visa, She has now got her BRP as of today.

She is Brazilian and i'm from the UK, We want change her name on her passport in Brazil but in order to do that they require something like a drivers licence to confirm the change.

Due to rules her maiden name is on our marriage certificate, my question is, can she start using my last name here in the UK to build up a profile? Like is it possible for her to open a Bank account with my last name etc?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jack
-@bwfc122

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think she can do this, the bank will want ID, so her passport. That said, I don't think it matters, the profile at the bank will remain once she has her new name and passport.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@bwfc122

Usually, in the UK, it's not difficult to change your name after you get married. You just contact all the relevant institutions with your marriage certificate and tell them you want to take your husband's surname.

I guess in your case you mean your wife doesn't have any existing accounts, documents, relationships, etc. She does have a BRP card though so maybe start there and let the Home Office know your wife wants to take your surname - or that she has already. If they ask for the Brazilian passport, you can explain you're in a kind of Catch 22 in that the Brazilian authorities require a UK document in the new name. Since there's a legal requirement to inform the Home Office of any name change within 3 months, they may be inclined to help you.

It may also be possible to register the marriage at the Brazilian embassy and that may allow you to get the passport updated.