Any British expats affected by the UK pension freeze?

Hello, I am a content writer for Expat Magazine. We are trying to write an article about how the UK government's practice of freezing the pension of expats affects their finances at a time of global inflation. If you are in this situation, how do feel about not getting state pension increases like citizens based in the UK? Your input will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

For context:

https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2022 … be-lifted/

I am not so sure about your questions as each one of us are individuals and we have to take our responsibilities as such! I have I over 45 years of service in National Health Service and Higher education! I get my pension from my NHS superannuation scheme and I get my state pension from my National insurance contribution and I get my University pension because my NHS by default was not transferred to the university/Teachers pension scheme!!  On reflection, I am better off although if I had stayed within the NHS I would havei had probably a better pension.

coming back to your question, it is a matter of choice and planning! As lo g as I am ambulant i want to travel the world and make the most and no one will stop me except an eventual disability !

Honestly, there are rules to follow for your pensions and it is up to you to understand and follow! I do realise there has been fraud from relatives cashing on pensions and benefits after you have passed away there is a way of getting a sworn affidavit to supply to the DWP and related pension services Har you are still alive and well.   The situation has changed with Brexit for those who decided to buy home and settled I. Spain and it is painful to listen or read their stories!!

No issue for me as yet, but it might well be in not many years ahead.

I'm unsure what right the useless bastards we know as the UK government claim in discriminating against expats, but they manage anyway.

The essential truth is expats paid the same in so should be entitled to the same payments out.

Imagine the Westminster lot telling the good burghers of Barnsley to sod off with their paid for pensions - it would be a coach trip from Barnsley town hall to parliament and head butts all round - chip butties served before they got south of Watford gap because soft southerners don't know what good food is.

However, the idiots in Westminster have to line their own pockets and those of their pals, so what chance do a few small people have?

Now, tell me, what did that useless idiot Liz Truss get when she massively ffed up her job of a few weeks?

Oh yes, a fat pension For doing shite all.

Thank you both for sharing your views!

@Vedan Hi Vedan, I agree with some of your points but a freeze in State pensions will be a cut in Pensioner's Pension in real terms if they don't have a Private Pension or a Defined Benefit scheme. This is just my opinion, but depending on a person's circumstance they will be affected differently. Am sure you agree, someone's personal finance can be detrimental to there own well-being.

@Fred unfortunately politicians live outside of the law. There is a lot people can do to preserve there wealth against inflation in the medium to long term. Since arriving in Mauritius the cost of living continues to rise, which can be problematic for the majority but with clever budgeting the impact can be minimised.

@Ameerah Arjanee

I was under the impression UK state pensions received by residents of Mauritius (and certain other countries) were increased annually in the same way as for UK residents.

”The only other countries in which the UK state pension rises in the same way as UK state pensioners are: the European Union countries (which continued after Brexit[5][6]); Switzerland; Barbados; Bermuda; Bosnia-Herzegovina; Guernsey; Isle of Man; Israel; Jamaica; Jersey; Mauritius; Montenegro; North Macedonia; the Philippines; Serbia; Turkey; and the United States of America.”

The FT article you provide a link for quotes someone having second thoughts about moving from the UK to Spain because of his fear of a pension ‘freeze', but according to the UK government website, this would not happen in any EU country, where increases would mirror those received in the UK.