Rent a flat or a house in Belize

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Belize. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Belize.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Belize?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Belize?

How to find a home in Belize: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi Christine. My company, Red Roof Property Management in the Cayo District of Western Belize, was created because I found it so hard to find a rental home when I moved there.

Rental homes go quick in most of Belize.  In San Ignacio Town, you'll find mostly homes, or apartments over a home.  Up until recently, there were no classifieds for rentals (the newspapers don't have a classifieds section), so a nice Belizean couple started one, and we advertise our rentals in there, as well as on our website.

In San Ignacio, you can get a 2 bedroom/1 bath home for $250 USD. On the island of Ambergris Caye, the same home would rent for $1000 USD!

Renting can be very informal in Belize, with no contract at all, which I think is bad for both the landlord and tenant, so Red Roof Property Management uses a lease to protect both sides.  When I looked at my rental home, the landlord literally handed us the keys and let us go show ourselves - yikes! That would never happen in the States.

If anyone would like help finding a rental in Cayo, please drop me a message.

Sharon Hiebing

Hi Sharon,
I and my wife want to check out Belize and most likely move there. I have been reading about increased crime in Belize. Is it really a problem? When we are ready, within a month and two can you help us to get a rental?  Lou

Hi Lou!  I just wrote a blog about crime in Belize on my Wealth Ships' site - you can find it here:  wealthships.com/2011/06/29/belize-crime-a-real-expat-concern.

Yes, when you're ready, let me know, and I'll see what we have available.  You can also sign up for our email subscription on Red Roof's Home page (upper left corner) - we let everyone on that list know immediately when we get new rentals, so you'd be first in line.

Keep in touch!  Sharon Hiebing

Hi there, I lived just outside Belize City 2000-2002 accommodated through my previous employment. I am looking to relocate to Belize but I am now self employed so will be doing this under my own steam.

I will be travelling to Belize in the new year to stay for about 6 weeks for a holiday/recce prior to settling as I am sure that some things have changed since I was there.

I would be looking for 2 x 3 week rental properties say one set of 3 weeks in San Ignacio and the other set somewhere coastal plus hire a car for the duration.  Can anyone recommend a company for accommodation & car hire that charge sensible local prices as opposed to tourist ones?

Many thanks
Sorisa

Hello Sorisa and welcome to Expat.com!

I may suggest you to post an advert in Belize classifieds > accommodation section.

It may help,
Harmonie.:)

My wife and I are moving to Belize in about a month. We are going to need; first an inexpensive short term rental (1 to 3 months) somewhere south of Dangriga while we get settled and look around, and then longer rental somewhere. Also looking to contact expats in the same region. Michael

Hi Soresa,
Not sure if you're coming to the Corozal District, but if you do, I have the perfect little place.  Copa Banana is a little bright yellow bed and breakfast type place just off the water in Corozal Town.  The place itself is terrific, but it's really the owners who make it.  Greg is very friendly, knows everybody and would be invaluable should you decide to stay there.  I can't remember their contact info, but you can find it on the Trip Advisor website under "Copa Banana" in Corozal.  Good luck!
Toni

My husband and I are also moving to Belize this November to Placencia.  We have a place rented for November, but will be needing a long term, furnished place starting in December.  If anyone knows of a place, please let us know.  We need high speed internet, one or two bedrooms and at least one room with AC.  Thanks!

Susanne:)

Thanks Harmonie I will check that out.

Pica1 - I'm not sure if I will be staying in Corozal as yet, thanks for the link but those prices are way to expensive.

What is the average monthly vacational rental for a furnished two bedroom house in Dangriga?

If I were interested in renting a small unfurnished two bedroom cottage by the sea in Dangriga Town, how much can I expect to pay per month?

mmme and wife looking to retire in 3 yars..should have around 150000 bye that time..will be 53 years old then...hopfully that last till 62 for ss

Hi my name is Kevin and i live in montreal i am interested in relocating but need to make a friend / contact who can help me

i am living a small pension i am 57 in April single

perhaps you could direct me as to who i can speak with trust etc

You mention rentals 250 a month us  but i have no idea of the location you meentioned

I look forward to your comments
regards
Kevin

My wife disabled daughter and I are considering a move to Belize.  We are looking for an area near the beach but do not have a large amount of money. In the next few months we are planning on a visit to Belize.  We think living in Corozol would be the best bargain.  Are we correct? Will it be possible to find someone to help us look at potential home rentals in various areas?  We would like a minimum of a 2 bedroom 1 bath home hopefully under $1200 per month.  Thank you for any help.

Hello phxmike8 and welcome to Expat.com!

The Housing in Belize section could help. You can post an advert there. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

i really am tired of california-- and i want to see something different--something more calm than living in this rat-race so i was thinking of belize for a year.

Looking for something to rent im looking to buy

Hello All,

@traceyrandolph : Did you chek out our Housing in Belize Section? You may find something that suits your needs.

Regards

Kenjee

Good morning,

My name is Toya, and I will be retiring from the United States Air Force very soon. I have chosen Belize as the place where I would like to hang up my uniform. I am interested in rentals. There is not much on the web in regards to finding rental property, if you have any additional help that would be awesome.

Hello Toya and welcome on board  :cheers: ,

I kindly invite you to browse through our section Properties for rent in Belize,  you may also drop in an advert there if you wish.

Regards

Kenjee

(moderated: no free ads here please)

Hello Toya,

I am planning to move to Belize this year. I will be visiting in June 2015. I am also retired. (Navy) Stay in touch

[email protected]

Hi, my husband, myself and 2 dogs are planning to move to Belize late May or early June.  We would prefer to rent a 2 bedroom house, hopefully on 1 level.  It would be nice to be somewhere part-way between the beaches and the mountains.  Otherwise, within 20 miles of the beaches.  I have cancer and we would need to be fairly close to Doctors and a hospital.

I'm am trying to research moving to Belize for three months with my dogs and driving there to accomplish it. I'm looking for an unfurnished pet friendly studio while I look for property.

Is this thread too dead to get anyone to come back and maybe give me some tips or contacts?

Unfortunately for you, many rentals are word of mouth in Belize.

If I were in your position, In addition to Googling names and contacts for Realtors in whatever area of Belize you are interested in, I would look at listings on Vacation Rental‎ by Owner www.VRBO.com, and www.AIRBNB.com.

H20Gerl wrote:

I'm am trying to research moving to Belize for three months with my dogs and driving there to accomplish it. I'm looking for an unfurnished pet friendly studio while I look for property.

Is this thread too dead to get anyone to come back and maybe give me some tips or contacts?

did you read the thread before you posted a repeat question.

Did you see the dates of the posts?

I'd like to be current on my information and I know how quickly things change.

Are you after a place to rent or are you after an impression all the links that have been listed up above likely have not changed that much have they