Rent a flat or a house in Mauritius

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Mauritius. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Mauritius.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Mauritius?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Mauritius?

How to find a home in Mauritius: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi Christine,

Here is my experience or rather my knowledge

Almost all types of accomodation are available in Mauritius.
from the basic studios to the most luxurious beachfront, pool villas. So if someone sets his criteria clear, then the real estate guy can give advice and guidance particularly with respect to budget.

It should be quite easy to find a house as in my opinion supply is currently exceeding demand in general though demand in the north is high so it may be harder to find a house in the north. My advice is that expats should bear in mind they are in mauritius and that standards differ from that in Europe but houses of european standards do exist but you should be ready to place the budget or adapt to local houses.

Classisfieds is one way as there are a lot of owners and estate agents who are registered on expat-blog. Real estate agencies are also reliable as it is their job, it should be easier to guide you to your future home but then commissions apply. its either pay it and find quickly or have time to find on your own and it do work however though the estate agent will guarantee a quality and service.

Rentals will range from Rs 8,000 to Rs 125,000 depending on house type, region, facilities, size etc.   

required docs, for a long term rental, a contract is made by the estate agent, between the owner and the lessee. Each one tries to lists most information about the house and its facilities and agreements between owner and lessee are put on paper. The owner will also try to have the most info about the lessee, id number, work, telephone number and vice versa

Hi neervanatravel!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Armand

pleasure

cheers
Steven

One option is to have a look at the L'express site and you will be able to find a range of properties and sort by price/size/location