Current Conditions in the Bavaro region -- OKAY TO VISIT??

Hi, all.

Lisa and I were setting up for our annual Jan-Feb excursion to the DR...but our long-reserved Airbnb canceled on us "due to hurricane flooding, cannot be occupied" until the owner fixes it.  So, we're now without a place to stay, and are looking at the usual resources for options.

This now raises questions in our minds:

IS THE BAVARO/PUNTA CANA REGION IN GOOD ENOUGH SHAPE, POST-HURRICANE AND OTHER RECENT STORMS, TO VISIT FOR A MONTH OR MORE starting in January 2023??

We've inquired about a several condos, apartments and/or houses, and in particular have asked about power/electric reliability within the unit/complex.

• No one will just give us a straight answer. What answers we get are very fuzzy -- "our power in the complex is as good as any other condo/apartment/house in this area" is the typical response.
  • None will just say, "Yes the power is reliable." They dodge the question or answer incompletely or indirectly. Or, they attempt to change the subject.
  • We care about this because we are both reliant on CPAP/ASV machines. (Me in particular; I lost a brother to untreated sleep apnea about 7 years ago.) FYI: ASV machines are essentially CPAP/BIPAP machines on double steroids, reserved for patients who often just stop breathing during the night.

We had quite the exchange with one host, about whether or not they had "hot water available at all water taps in the unit." They kept saying, "yes we have hot water available," but simply wouldn't answer whether it was "at all water taps." Finally, they did answer after a number of messages back and forth, and sure enough, no hot water at one of the bathrooms.

• That would have been an acceptable answer early in the process, but the intentional avoidance of details (while stressing how much fun we would have) definitely put us off that property...and maybe the entire region.

THIS HAS REPEATED ENOUGH TIMES, THAT WE ARE WORRYING WHETHER Bavaro (in particular) or Punta Cana (in general) were hit harder by the hurricane and more recent storms in the DR than we had thought.

SO...PLEASE OFFER US YOUR OPINION / ADVICE:

• How are housing/accommodations conditions in Bavaro and/or Punta Cana right now?
  • Is the electricity reliable, or not? (understanding that "reliable" in the DR means something quite different than in the US. "Normal" short power drops a couple times a day are expected, but we don't want to spend whole days without power.
  • So, do we have "normal DR tourist-zone" power in Bavaro, or "worse-than DR tourist-zone normal" power/electricity, at this time?
  • We can work around the typical short power drops, but extended time without electricity becomes a major health issue for us.
  • Has there been significant flooding or wind damage such that many restaurants and attractions won't be open for us to enjoy?
  • Are propane delivery schedules reestablished and reliable? Will we be able to cook our meals?
  • Have restaurants, stores and tourist attractions returned to "normal?" Or will there be little to do?
  • Have the beaches and flooded areas been cleaned up? Or does one find "flood stink" wherever one might wander?

Many thanks to anyone/everyone that can shed any light on these questions for us!!!!! We just don't want to travel down there and have a bad experience, especially with airfares how they are right now.

1f604.svg1f604.svg1f604.svg1f604.svg1f604.svg

Your comments gratefully accepted as posts, or as direct/private messages thru the forum.

Respectfully,

Jim

ExpatRusher

Hello,

Everything is normal in Bavaro. No real damage and business as usual.

Electricity is pretty much 24/7

Be careful there......'pretty much 24/7' isn't a guarantee !!!

Try the North Coast!  Puerto Plata's beaches are beautiful! 

Certain areas had much more damage than others and even within communities. Much has returned to normal but you still have some restaurants and hotels that have not reopened.

@willieweb:  Absolutely correct, but I don't know of anywhere worldwide where 24/7 is guaranteed without having a specific backup unit in place to accommodate medical emergencies.  It doesn't exist in this country unless you have your own home and have that designed and built in and even then it's NOT guaranteed.

@Expatrusher:  You may not be getting much advice because people are afraid to tell you the truth because of your medical condition.  Noting what I said above, electricity is as reliable as anywhere in the DR in the Bavaro Punta Cana area.  More reliable than in most areas.

Business has returned to normal, there is no worries from hurricane damage at this point, most everything has been restored, except a few trees that are healing otherwise everything is working as usual.

I manage and rent apartments, I can accommodate you, no guarantees on electricity but yes it is reliable 99% of the time, hot water in all faucets, if you want more info on that just PM me.

Cheers.

If I had to put a % on how much time electricity is running in Bavaro it would be...

99.998% of the time it's working and running.

It probably go down on avg 2-4 total hours per month

Dominican Mike

The OP seems to want 'definite' answers... not just any old response....

Hates waffling.......

That's why I posted that.....sorry to confuse anybody

@DominicanadaMike

Very generous.  I will contact you via private message.

@jeanchris101 Very helpful, thank you.

@WillieWeb Not confused at all.

So that my friends here aren't confused, I am definitely a planner.  YES, we travel with a modest emergency battery backup for my ASV unit, but it is only good for a couple of nights at best.

So, it's not that we're insisting on perfect electrical power...because it certainly doesn't exist in the DR, nor even here in rural Idaho, where we have power blips on a not-infrequent basis. 

We just want to be sure that it wouldn't be more than a couple of nights IN A ROW.  That would not be a good experience.

I guess brownouts and/or spiking power would be a concern, too, due to the possibility of burning out electronics.  But from what everyone is telling me, I don't think that's a major concern in Bavaro right now.

FOR EVERYONE:  Thanks so much for your comments and inputs.  I think I just encountered a couple of shady owners/hosts that got me over-thinking the situation. 

For posterity, I'll try to post about our experience after we complete our trip.   Just to update other travelers/visitors about Bavaro conditions as of Jan/Feb 2023. 

AGAIN, THANK YOU, EVERYONE, FOR THE INPUTS!!

@ExpatRusher...1f609.svg

@ExpatRusher  just returned from punta cana. All seem fine. People are still fixing certain things but overall, no issues