Rent a flat or a house in Muscat

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Muscat. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Muscat.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Muscat?

How to find a home in Muscat: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Some quick answers :

Q : Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Muscat ?
A : No ! Lately lots of flats, houses, villas and such are available for rent.

Q : How to find a home in Muscat: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?
A : Identify the location where you are interested in living. Drive around and you will find many places with 'For Rent', 'To Let' boards. Call the contact number posted on the flat / house itself. Second best option is to look at the classifieds in the various publications. For more exclusive properties go through real estate agents.

Q : How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?
A : Rents would depend on the area and on the type and size of the property. Broadly, Wadi Kabir is less expensive. So is Mumtaz Area. Qurum, Qurum Heights and Madinat Al Illam are expensive neighbourhoods.

Q : What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?
A : A lot of paperwork is required before a house can be rented. Also Muscat Municipality approvals are required. The landlord will guide the tenant.

Q : Which advice would you give?
A : Now the supply is more and the demand for houses has become less (on account of many expatriates leaving Oman for good). So the choices available are far more compared to 3 - 4 years back when houses were in great demand and hence rents were skyrocketing. Now the tenant can pick and choose properties at great bargains. Advice is be patient and take your time because options are aplenty !

thanks for your message :)

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

Dear Christine,

It's the same in all country, visit it !
But here owner request 6 or 12 months in advance, but you can discuss. Don t hesitate. Advice from Sumitran are good. Take time for visit, I found one in muscat oasis residence, flat or villa in compound are available, speak around you and don't be in hurry, Oman goes slow, adapt you.
Good luck.
JC

and what about schooling a five year old girl ,what is the cost, my husband is thinking to teach english in oman, just so we can move to oman and he finds a better job with his Phd.
Would his wage cover our small family, + would i find work, am I allow to work? I have a back ground in vet nursing and optometrist assistant.

[Please post in classifieds]

Dear Christine,

Below are answers to your question hope you and your visitors find them useful. Good Luck!

Q. Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Muscat?
A. With continuous construction development there are so many new properties around Muscat area so it is much easier to find a house in Muscat now then few years ago.

Q. How to find a home in Muscat: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?
A. Best is to approach a professional Muscat real estate like gulf property world, al qandell and wjt.

Q. How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?
A. Well this depends on the number of rooms required. You may Google for gulf property world or GPW Oman or visit their website on www.gpw-oman.com which is regularly updated and in line with the current rental rates, it will give you a clear picture of latest rental prices according to the areas.

Q. What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?
A. This will depend who will rent the house whether an individual or a company:

1) In case of a person then he/she will need to produce a valid residence card plus post-dated cheques for the rental. This may be paid on monthly, quarterly, half yearly or a year in advance depending on the owner's demand. You may also be asked to pay a one month security deposit depending on the condition of the house, if brand new for example.

2) In case it is the company then they will need to produce commercial certificates in order to have it registered with the municipality.

Note: if the person hasn't been issued with the residence card then he will not have any cheques to issue, catch 22, really. In this case he will need to be issued with a salary letter/certificate from his employer and can come with an arrangement with the owner to wait for his payment. Again this is best to be dealt with a reputable real estate agent in Muscat.

Q. Which advice would you give?
A. You are better off dealing with a reputable real estate company as they fully understand the market trends and can negotiate your offer with the owner on your behalf.

:one

hi! I would like to rent a flat in shaden al hail ...how do i contact the concerned person...any help!!!!

BHAVANA31
please contact me by privet msg to give you more details

want a flat in shaden

Hello BHAVANA31 -> You should post an advert in the Housing in Muscat section. It shall help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

BHAVANA31 wrote:

want a flat in shaden

I will reply u as soon as possible

but how many rooms in flat u want?
and when u will start to live in flat?

I lived in Oman for many years.
In Nizwa and Musanaa. Originally from Ottawa/Canada. ESL instructor.

In the end, I decided it was best to be close to Muscat yet not pay the extremely high rents in Muscat central. So I opted for the new area being built in Maabela!

Yes, it is a very nice area, quiet, clean and I have a beautiful 3 bedrooms with two bathrooms.

I like where I am, it takes me 15 mins to Muscat. There is a new exit on the new highway that takes me direct to my place. It is also announced that a new shopping mall to be opened just like the Grand Mall in Maabela.

The landlord is a very decent gentleman with his family. THe place has new split A/C s. they do the stair cleaning, and very helpful.

I prefer to be close to Muscat (Maabela considered in Muscat), yet not pay the high rental price.

I only pay RO300. Let me know if anyone needs help.

cheers

hi, I've been here in muscat two months now and I'm kinda having a hard time finding a place. I'm working in Azaiba and i tried to find close by but I'm having difficult time. If someone can help it is great pleasure. Thanks. :)

Hi prettycatcher,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to post an advert in the Housing in Muscat section, this might be helpful.

Best of luck, :)

David.

Hi Sylvaoman (or anyone other who has similar case),
I might be moving to Oman very soon. So my question would be why did not you stay away from Muscat?Is the rental more or less expensive in the places you teach? I will be teaching ESL, so what can you tell about your experience in this country (students-parents, schools administration, etc...)?

Best

Renting an house/flat is not an issue.  First find out the location you require.  Classifieds are of great help or drive along to find FOR RENT board.  Normally in Muscat area A two bedroom will cost RO.350.000 on wards to what luxury you require.  Highest flat is available for 800.00+.
Apartments are more expensive, depends on your budget.  Any slab is available which can fit your pocket.

Hi,
It is not at a difficult task to find a house in Oman.  I had found lot of post looking for flats.  If such a basic thing is becoming an issue then you might find your life difficult. If any help you require from me you can ask, i will help you.

Saan ba exactly sa azaiba po Ang idéal location Ang hanap nyo po at Ang budget ng flat mo? Kasi dito me sa azaiba naka matulongan kita marami Ako nakita banda dito. Txt me. 92201909

Flat ko sa azaiba rent near to almeera at zubair automotive.

@ mmilvar > Can you please post in english on this english speaking forum ? It will help everybody to understand and willing to participate.

Thanks

Priscilla    :cheers: