Inflation in Portugal in 2022

Hello everyone,

In the various media, inflation in Portugal is becoming increasingly important. This is becoming a concern for some, with fears of an impact on day-to-day budgeting.

Today, how does inflation in Portugal impact on daily life?

Which products and services have increased the most (insurance, shopping, petrol, electricity etc.)?

Have you had to review your budget? If so, what are your priorities?

What solutions have expatriates found to curb the impact of inflation? Did they use specific aids?

Thanks for your future contribution

Kind regards,
Mickael
Team Expat.com

Hi Mickael,

while I see/hear/read that larger parts of the Portuguese are already suffering from in inflation, I would say that none of the expats I know have significant problems with the rise in overall costs. However, I notice that the number of thefts and robberies in more affluent areas (Lisbon, Cascais) is on the rise, which might give us a feel of what is to come.

Rising energy prices mean that everything will - sooner or later - get more expensive. Rising prices also mean that the product is still available at all. I would be more worried if e.g. natural gas isn't at all available to Portugal anymore, because other countries are able to pay a better price. This already happened to countries like Sri Lanka.

Greeting to Ile Maurice

Dear Michael/nz7521137

Thanks for sharing such great topics been discussed, as we are new bird soon to fly Portugal , inflation going through Europe slightly increasing we read in news but still cost of living , weather do better compare with other europe.

i think we we have to open debate and share old expat's views who been here from few years.

I hope get back good understanding by sharing thoughts from old expats here.

Thank you

best regards;

Ahmed

Resident of Portugal recently returned to New Zealand for summer, noticeable rise in costs NZ it's crazy … inflation worldwide, nowhere to hide .. except to stock up & be mindful ..

correct me if I'm wrong but majority of Portugal oil & gas import from Africa not Russia .. European Union advising PT to stall this arrangement) ??? Crazy ..agricultural country PT would buy local

50% of the gas consumed in Portugal comes from Nigeria. The remainder comes from Algeria, Qatar and the United States.

Crazy ..agricultural country PT would buy local
-@vanmac007

Well, Portugal imports a huge amount of its foodstuff from abroad. And when travelling through the country that is easily visible. I remember that there is an EU statistic that shows how dependent EU countries are on food imports.

Quickly I could find this from the US about Portugal https://www.trade.gov/country-commercia … al-sectors

Diesel and petrol have increased que allot, people that live near the Spanish border go to the neighbor country to refill.

people that live near the Spanish border go to the neighbor country to refill.
-@Bruper

That has always been like that. As far as I can remember.

Invest in TIPs, commodities, REITs, worldwide equities - all of these have always done well on the long run in times of inflation. Avoid bonds.

Last year a pallet of pellets for sixty-five bags was 227.50 Euros delivered to the house.  This year the same pellet was 617.50.  Went from 3.50 per bag to 9.50. 

@Gary Sarazin And 10.99 Euros per 15 kg at Leroy Merlin