Inflation in Panama in 2022

In the various media, inflation in Panama is becoming increasingly important. This is becoming a concern for some, with fears of an impact on day-to-day budgeting.

Today, how does inflation in Panama impact on daily life?

Which products and services have increased the most (insurance, shopping, petrol, electricity etc.)?

Have you had to review your budget? If so, what are your priorities?

What solutions have expatriates found to curb the impact of inflation? Did they use specific aids?

Thanks for your future contribution
Kind regards,
Mickael
Team Expat.com

@Mickael

As Barack Obama once said

( although he seems to be the pot calling the kettle black) "Don't underestimate how much Joe Biden can F**k things up".  American is bringing pain to the whole world and unfortunately I believe it will continue.  Inflation in Panama is a direct result of America's mishandling of their economy. It will continue to trickle down more pain and discomfort.  And unfortunately, Panamanians cannot endure it as well as Americans.

I was going to reply to your post with a counter-argument but now feel that in this forum one should avoid political commentary.

Not that I'm pontificsl but there is no valid counter argument that would be tenable so nothing lost. What I said is of critical importamce to all that live in Panama and in my opinion will continue to get worse.

Sorry for the typo.  I meant to write Pontifical

Hello everyone,

We should not discuss about politics on the forum !

We are looking information that can be relatable in our every day life.

All the best,

Bhavna

Thank you. I am here to learn more about retiring in Panama. Thank you for monitoring the posts.

Can anyone in Panama tell me how much electricity costs now?

@Mykolas1975

Hi! I'm Panamanian. My electric bill in Panama City comes out between $0.14 to $0.16 per kWh but it's currently subsidized since Covid started. For those that are of retirement age (60 for men, 55 for women) there is also discount of 15%.

@jimig Comments are all valid. Additionally, the never-ending trillion-dollar deficit spending by both parties, in my view, is a significant contributor to the current US inflation spike.

Tony

Please... enough with the politics in this forum! Some of the 'analyses' here regarding  current global economics and inflationary pressures are overly simplistic and are clearly biased (inflation is affecting everyone on the globe right now, not just US citizens who by the way, are faring better than some who live in other countries).