Inflation in Dominican Republic in 2022

In the various media, inflation in Dominican Republic is becoming increasingly important. This is becoming a concern for some, with fears of an impact on day-to-day budgeting.

Today, how does inflation in Dominican Republic impact on daily life?

Which products and services have increased the most (insurance, shopping, petrol, electricity etc.)?

Have you had to review your budget? If so, what are your priorities?

What solutions have expatriates found to curb the impact of inflation? Did they use specific aids?

Thanks for your future contribution
Kind regards,
Mickael
Team Expat.com

Like all countries we are being impacted.   The biggest impact is anything imported!  Stick with local as much as you can  and it does not hurt as bad!  Not to suggest it does not hurt, just not as bad.

On an interesting note,  the gov't has kept  most  fuel costs stable!  This has helped many here in the short term and is going to hurt in the long term!

Supermarket has been definitely a big factor.

Hello everyone,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Supermarket has been definitely a big factor.

@DRVisitor could you please tell us a little more about that? 1f914.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Food costs all seem to have increased - including locally sourced food. We haven't yet seen the increases due to the loss of crops with the hurricane.

As Planner said, anything imported has gone up significantly - including building materials and related items. As an example, since it's recent and I know the numbers - we got a quote for a pool heater last week, and the price for the same heat pump, from the same installer, increased by almost 50% since February. The price of the pump and other materials were the bulk of that, but the labor cost increased as well.

I visit the supermarket every visit and have seen the bill increase in last few years and usually buy most of the same stuff. Part is also currency exchange for me but you can see it.

I've noticed the prices of the things I usually buy  in the supermarket are up around 30-40%  and I too usually stay with basically the same list every week … I've also noticed the cost of cinder blocks  are up and cement  is up roughly $2 dollars a bag never mind 2 by 4s ….

I will also add crime is on the rise in many areas as people struggle to survive with inflation vs wages.

That's all true!  Crime has risen here!  And as Christmas approaches it will get worse!

@planner sticking with locals is the absolute best thing you can do!

@DRVisitor I agree with this statement. I have been coming to DR since 2012. This year I have noticed a significant increase in the supermarket. I'm not sure if it is the currency causing this problem.

It's a little bit the currency but mostly the state of the world economies.  Wars. Shortages. Shipping issues. Etc etc

Welcome Todd. As this is the DR forum we will keep it on topic.  We will also not be having a political conversation in this thread.

Yes, I also noticed that food prices are the most noticeable change. I'm originally from NYC and then California for over 20yrs, the cost of food's higher than both of those places with a major difference of quality too. Due to the stress of safety and constant gringo up charging too, it's not much fun. Due to a health emergency, I left the DR two weeks ago- at this rate, I will not return for a long term stay.

I retired and moved to the North Coast in September. I find the lesser (not steak) cuts of beef to be cheaper than what I paid in the US and decent quality. Hamburger is cheaper (154 pesos per pound = $2.82 usd) than what I paid in Virginia and leaner. I make a lot of tacos, spaghetti, and pots of chili. Pork and chicken are comparable to the states. Seafood is expensive. Buy local produce.

Thank you all for your comments.

My contact tells me one of the safest places for an expact as far as good "security" is in the Punta Cana area.

I was going to buy a small farm but I have change my mind because of personal "security".

Thanks again

Larry

Thank you all for your comments.
My contact tells me one of the safest places for an expact as far as good "security" is in the Punta Cana area.
I was going to buy a small farm but I have change my mind because of personal "security".
Thanks again
Larry
-@reaestate24hrs

Some of your best contacts are here 1f60e.svg

Lets stick to the  topic of inflation. There are other threads about safety!  Thanks. 1f609.svg