First ATM attempt since arriving didn't go so well

I don't know if I was doing it wrong or there was an underlying Banco do Brasil problem but I couldn't get me Schwab debit card to work on Banco do Brasil ATMs. I notified Schwab I would be in Brazil through their travel notification function.

I tried 3 before finding one that would actually function. No matter what I tried, I kept receiving the message "Daily limit exceeded... Daily withdrawal limit exceeded". Unfortunately, I got this message without getting a single Real. However, I was unsure if I was selecting the appropriate account button since there wasn't a choice for Debit. The options were: Savings, Checking, Credit , Universal Account.

I tried all except Savings and continued to get the same message and tried multiple other ATMs in the bank lobby. We got help from a bank assistant but it made no difference. My Schwab card has a 4 digit PIN and the employee said it should make no difference.

Any ideas what the problem may have been?

Also, with a Schwab Debit card, is it best to use the "Credit" button option?

10/18/22 @seinfo3.  Two questions:

1. Have you used this card successfully at the ATMs of any other Brazilian bank, even on a previous visit?  If so, your card may be linked to that bank now.
  2. Did you confirm that the network flag on the back of your card matches one of the flags shown on the ATM?  If the two banks aren't on the same network, the transaction won't go through.

I did test the card out in the US before leaving for a POS purchase but not at an ATM.

To be honest I haven't used an ATM in probably 30 years but this seemed the easiest method to get cash in Brazil. I saw that the ATM accepted VISA is there anything else I should be looking for?

10/18/22 I did test the card out in the US before leaving for a POS purchase but not at an ATM.
To be honest I haven't used an ATM in probably 30 years but this seemed the easiest method to get cash in Brazil. I saw that the ATM accepted VISA is there anything else I should be looking for?

My US debit card carries a "Plus" flag on the back -- "PLUS" in all caps with three triangles around the "P", that form a diamond. That's what I always look for on an ATM. Other popular networks are Cirrus and Maestro. If one or more of those is on the back of your card, use an ATM that matches.

10/18/22 @seinfo3.  Also, note the difference in the daily withdrawal limits shown in this article from two years ago:

https://salvadorguidebook.com/atm-in-brazil/

I've always had much better luck at Bradesco than at BB -- probably because I always try to withdraw more than R$500! 

One thing that can be easily missed is the machine prompting you for English on the top left button normally, if you fail to press it often says you are blocked, it recognises the fact you have an international card and this seems to double as a prompt.

My card has none of these but just got off a chat with Schwab and they said " anywhere that accepts visa will accept your Schwab Debit card. Also, if the limit was the cause of the decline we would be able to see that being declined on our end". There were also no holds on my card or any attempts to withdraw money. They suggested a different branch..... guess I'll give that a try.

thanks abthree.

I was trying for $1000, maybe that is the problem. Thanks , I did notice the English button.

10/18/22 I was trying for $1000, maybe that is the problem. Thanks , I did notice the English button.
-@seinfo3

$1000 US?  Yeah, that's a no-go.

Initially when I arrived I was only allowed R$300,00 per 24 hours And I mean 24 hours. (if you withdrew money at 14:00 you have to wait to 14:01. Sundays it did not work

I ran my US bank debit card as credit and it worked fine, but that was in Bradesco. Everything our fine friends said above I found to be true as well.

@seinfo3 I know they have a lower daily withdrawal limit here, it's always better to use two cards and take an amount from each. Hope all goes OK for you.

@abthree I meant R$1000... will try Bradesco instead

@seinfo3 Not sure here but last time in Argentina it was 90 Euro/dollars per 24 hours there. I have taken out 500 reais here which is about 120 euro, not sure over that amount, still getting my head around the exchange rates and have been here many times rsrsrs. Can you let us know what the maximum is is you or any others fined out? 

Went to Bradesco and took the R$1200 limit out and was all done in 60 seconds.

Hi guys, I actually use Santander to withdraw money and their limit is 3000 reais per transaction. I have actually already withdraw 6000 reais ( 2  x  3000 reais transaction) in a day. They charge me on their 20 reais for the transaction fees.

There have been some changes in Santander ATM systems, some machines now are only accepting Santander's cards.

I have also used Bradesco bank which has a limit of 2500 reais per transaction, but their transaction fee is 50 reais.

My bank is in Europe.

@seinfo3 did u notify your bank that u were traveling 2 brazil?

Hi guys, I actually use Santander to withdraw money and their limit is 3000 reais per transaction. I have actually already withdraw 6000 reais ( 2 x 3000 reais transaction) in a day. They charge me on their 20 reais for the transaction fees.
There have been some changes in Santander ATM systems, some machines now are only accepting Santander's cards.
I have also used Bradesco bank which has a limit of 2500 reais per transaction, but their transaction fee is 50 reais.

My bank is in Europe.
-@Duroman

Local legistlation in Europe might have to do with you being forked over R$ 50

I\f there is no settlement, between your bank and Brazilian ones, there is no chance to waive it.,

All VISA, Mastercard does is to enable a wire transaction.   R$ 50 is a bit steep