Name change

Hello, I am currently living in the UK and would like to move to Cabo Verde next year. The process for changing my name here in the UK before moving looks unnecessarily complex, so I am considering doing my best to change it once I have moved.

I have been struggling to find any type of resources on the matter, so if anyone has any information about how I would go about doing this after moving to Cabo Verde, do let me know. Thank you for reading 😊

Hello, I am currently living in the UK and would like to move to Cabo Verde next year. The process for changing my name here in the UK before moving looks unnecessarily complex, so I am considering doing my best to change it once I have moved.
I have been struggling to find any type of resources on the matter, so if anyone has any information about how I would go about doing this after moving to Cabo Verde, do let me know. Thank you for reading 😊
[email protected] Xavier-Hendrix

Hi Zylen,

You cannot change your name in Cape Verde. To even entertain the possibility, you must first become a citizen of Cape Verde. Becoming a citizen requires that you wait for 5 years after you become a resident (residency visa) to have the right to apply for citizenship.

Citizens of Cape Verde only have the right to change their last name upon marriage. This is done by adding the last name of the spouse to the original name. In other words, they cannot change their original name (at the time of marriage), only add to it.

Other than marriage, there is no defined procedure for changing your name in Cape Verde. The only possibility under the law is that when you (a citizen of a foreign country) apply for Cape Verdean citizenship you can request to change the name in which you applied for citizen, but only if you can show that you legally changed your name in the country of your residency/birth before you came to Cape Verde.

To make it simple, you should go ahead and complete the process of changing your name in England. It's not possible to do it here.

Regards,

Angelo