Beachfront Location Advice Please

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I am seeking some advice on location for a retirement beach house (not for tourism)

I've been offered several properties (size and price relatively same) and would like to know what you all think.

Selection criteria based on, quality of beach/sea, noise from Galle Road, services like fibre interne, garbage disposal, recycling etc

Ahungalla Balapitiya Area

-    Picture-postcard sunsets

-    beaches are clean and wide (not as swimmable as some below)

-    crowd less

-    away from Galle road – so less noise and road reservation

Dondanduwa Rathgama Area

-    Not sure how wide the beaches are during Monsoon season?/ narrow beaches?

-    crowd less

-    away from Galle road – so less noise and road reservation

-    Ugly monstrous Highrise buildings in the distance horizon. (not sure how they got permission)

Kamburugamuwa

-    Narrow beaches?

-    Narrow plots

-    Beaches could be crowdy?

-    Ugly monstrous Highrise buildings in the distance horizon. (not sure how they got permission)

Dikwella/Mawella/Tallalla

-    Beautiful wide beach

-    Swimmable sea

-    Sunsets are not as gorgeous as western beaches

-    Some plots are next to Galle road – so could be noisy? (even though the roads after Matara is not as crowded)

-    Services like fibre internet?

All comments are welcome. Thank you

Hello and hope you're well.

Maybe you can find some professional on our business directory.

Here it is: Sri Lanka business directory

Also, you can look at our housing classifields : Housing in Sri Lanka

Have a nice day,

Mickael

Expat.com - Team

@Mickael  Thanks. I was looking for friendly advice on different beach locations.  Not looking for any professionals :)

Go with the Balapitiya Ahungalla area - people are nice and easy to live around.  We had a holiday home for more than 10 years near Ambalangoda, and never had any problems.  It was our home away from home. 

There's a saying that one shouldn't even take home a kitten from the areas Matara and further.  People tend to be more aggressive and given to holding grudges.

For good swimming and sunsets you can't beat Hikkaduwa and Thalpe, if you can find a spot on the reef. 

Rathgama and Dodanduwa also don't have a great reputation but I have no personal experience to speak of.  Hope this helps.

If I remember it correctly the kitten saying goes like this " One should never take home even a kitten across the Bentota bridge". That means kitten saying applies to even Ahungalla-Balapitiya1f600.svg

Since this is a plan for retirement I would say Dodanduwa Rathgama area because it is closer to one of the best hospitals in SL. And since it is adequate close to the main town of the province Galle probably the chances are higher to get many of the selection criteria of darshanax, however I never have lived for long time in any of the areas mentioned other than staying for one or two nights.             

We live in the dodanduwa area a

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@darshanx Seeing how much the SEA Level hast risen in the Last decade, (maybe you know ypsylon in beruwela, which lost nearly the whole beach) my priority would be on beach wide from the sea and sea far from the house.

Trust me, beautiful sunsets after a year I got blassee so I would rate IT least priority.

Aß soon aß you get Close to a decision, check your beaches in question on a sunday or Public holiday. Only then can you judge how crowded They get, and HOW MUCH RUBBISH the 1day visitors leave.

My English autocorrection is doggy,sorry.

All the best, Helga

@Bimmsje  belated thanks...! Much appreciated

@Gästen Thanks

@ViatronMac How's the beach over there - I have seen lot of big concrete monsters coming up...?

@tortuga444 Thanks Helga, your English way better than my Deutsche...haha Very good point about crowd days and rubbish - unfortunately rubbish is everywhere in southern coast..... But I get your point on sea level rise....

@darshanx

Hi I am yohan, how are you? I have a land in weligama (72 purches) withing 4km to weligama beach. Also near to midigama beach as well. You can live as villages there. Thanks

@yohanlahiru86 Hello Yohan, Thanks for the offer. Looking for on the beach land and most importantly away from tourist hotspots. Thanks

@darshanx, Hello I'm Ravi. You may aware about Koggala and Kabalana area's white sand beach. it's a less -polluted area and good for surfing. ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Your advert should be created in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@ravindaderds123 Hi Ravi, Thanks for the recommendation.  yes....I know the areas...bit touristy /overcrowded and over developed for me.....