Security Deposits

Hi all,

I'm moving to Budapest this month and have a question about the general cost of moving into an apartment.

Is it a standard practice for apartment owners/managers to ask new tenants for two months rent as a security deposit, in addition to the actual first month rent (totaling three months of rent to move in) ?

Thanks

My security deposit was one month's rent (June this year). One landlord I visited asked for 6 weeks deposit. Can't recall any request from others for two months deposit.

AFAIK, it's not against the law. Generally tenants have the upper hand in negotiations - except at this time of year when you're about to join the inflow of many other uni students.

I've gathered that some of the upmarket apartments are going with a two month deposit.

Raoul,

Apologies, I seem to have misinformed you. As you've asked again, I've checked my rental contract and find I HAVE paid a two month security deposit.

Initial payment was a bit drawn out at the time as I needed to withdraw from bank, which has daily withdrawal limits.

On this point, it's worth checking if you're landlord wants full payment on the day of your arrival. In this case, you'll need that amount in cash in your pocket if your home bank limits daily ATM withdrawals. Cheapest to change your foreign currency to forints once in Budapest, tho' some landlords may accept euro.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info angol. I've been doing a bit more research and am finding that most of the apartments i've inquired about require two months as well.

Hi,

Yes, 2 month rent is pretty standard.
If you are renting from a reputable apartment complex or firm, you'll probably get it back fairly.

If you are renting from an individual with no contract, tax and receipt, you'd better factor it into the price, because the landlord will make up silly excuses to keep it anyway.

Yes, all of them ask for a deposit of 2 months.

That's usual, 2 months plus the first months rent.