30 Day Tourist VISA now 45 Day (01 Oct)....Question ???

Hello,

I'm a USA citizen, 50+ yrs (currently living in Malaysia) who plans to move to Thailand on 01 October. My original plan was to go the VISA-O route..ie..apply of a 45 day tourist visa, request an extension,, and then request visa 50+ retirement 1 year renewable.   

My question: Now that the traditional tourist visa is 45 days starting on 01 Oct, In Theory...I should be able to complete all the visa -O requirements during the initial 45 day tourist, plus extension (rental, bank deposit 2 months, etc...) on just the Basic tourist entry visa ???

Thank you, Dave

When you get your O Visa, you also will get a 90 day visa the kicks in first. This is because you need to have the money required in a Thai bank for 90 days before the O Visa becomes valid. Since you don't have a Thai bank when the first enter the country and banks won't give you one without a long-term visa, this is a way around it. This way, once the 90 day visa expires, the O visa kicks in. I shouldn't put this online, but the first time I did it, my immigration lawyer opened the bank account for me and deposited the money himself n the account. After the visas were approved, he removed the money, then the account was all mine. This way I had time to transfers the money on my own. Sounds shady, but it's Thailand, so roll with it. I really recommended getting lawyer. There's no way I could have done it on my own.

Hello,
I'm a USA citizen, 50+ yrs (currently living in Malaysia) who plans to move to Thailand on 01 October. My original plan was to go the VISA-O route..ie..apply of a 45 day tourist visa, request an extension,, and then request visa 50+ retirement 1 year renewable. 
My question: Now that the traditional tourist visa is 45 days starting on 01 Oct, In Theory...I should be able to complete all the visa -O requirements during the initial 45 day tourist, plus extension (rental, bank deposit 2 months, etc...) on just the Basic tourist entry visa ???
Thank you, Dave
-@WiredTight

There's no such thing as a 45 days tourist visa. It's a visa exempt. A tourist visa is 60 days. The bank account is the most important thing. 45+45 days is enough as long as you have the 800k in your account the day you apply for the change of visa at  the local immigration office. Then you need the 800k in your account 2 months prior to the day you apply for the 1 year extension. In my opinion

it's better to start with a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa. Much easier and less visits at immigration.

Thank you both for educating me...!!!

Visa Exempt...I stand corrected (Admin you change the subject line error).

According to the TR visa requirements (see I'm learning) I need to show "3 month paid rent/hotel statements before approval".  This is why I asked about entering on the "new" 45 day Exempt visa,  plus one extension, and then take care of all the requirement for a VISA -O retirement. 

I currently plan to stay one week at a Service Apartment-hotel, and then hopefully move into a condo/apt at the end of a 7 day week. I already did a recon on the ground last week (Chiang-mai), and had rental agents show me around. Hopefully after a few more days of seeing what is available on the rental market, I then sign a 1 year rental lease.

As for the Bank Account requirement (Visa-O retirement) My bank here in Malaysia is CIMB Malaysia (CIMB Thailand branch in Chiangmai), I'm going to check with the bank tomorrow if they can provide a introduction or some type hand shake to open a CIMB Thailand bank account (hopefully done without a TR visa stamp).

Am I under or over thinking this too much ???

Thanks again, Dave

Thank you both for educating me...!!!
Visa Exempt...I stand corrected (Admin you change the subject line error).
According to the TR visa requirements (see I'm learning) I need to show "3 month paid rent/hotel statements before approval". This is why I asked about entering on the "new" 45 day Exempt visa, plus one extension, and then take care of all the requirement for a VISA -O retirement.
I currently plan to stay one week at a Service Apartment-hotel, and then hopefully move into a condo/apt at the end of a 7 day week. I already did a recon on the ground last week (Chiang-mai), and had rental agents show me around. Hopefully after a few more days of seeing what is available on the rental market, I then sign a 1 year rental lease.
As for the Bank Account requirement (Visa-O retirement) My bank here in Malaysia is CIMB Malaysia (CIMB Thailand branch in Chiangmai), I'm going to check with the bank tomorrow if they can provide a introduction or some type hand shake to open a CIMB Thailand bank account (hopefully done without a TR visa stamp).
Am I under or over thinking this too much ???
Thanks again, Dave
-@WiredTight

Well, it's Visa exempt,nothing else.It's not a Visa.

You have misread the tourist visa requirements.

There's no 3 months paid rent requirement for a 60 days tourist visa. Don't confuse the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa with the 60 days TR Visa.

@Leeds forever!

My bad,

Thai Embassy, Kuala Lumpur website:

TOURIST VISA (TR)

Remarks: Only tourists from low-risk countries/areas are allowed to apply for this type of visa

Required Documents:

1. Original Passport with at least 6-month validity and 2 blank visa pages

2. A completed visa application form with a passport size photo

3. A copy of passport (ID page)

4. A copy of reservation/confirmation of transport tickets to and from Thailand

5. The applicant's bank statement or bank book showing the account's name and number, balance and history of transactions for the last 3 months

6. Proof of payment for accommodation for the whole period of stay in Thailand (the receipt must state the tax payer number of the relevant hotel/accommodation)

Visa Fee:

It doesn't help when the requirements for a tourist visa are worded differently, depending on the country from which you are applying. The Thai Embassy in London (https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi … urist-visa) asks only for "Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand" and says nothing about having to pre-book accommodation for the whole of your stay in Thailand. I don't know how they would react if you submitted proof of booking for your first night's stay only, but I should think most tourists don't have their itineraries planned so inflexibly that they know in advance where they'll be staying throughout a holiday of 60 days or more.

It doesn't help when the requirements for a tourist visa are worded differently, depending on the country from which you are applying. The Thai Embassy in London (https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi … urist-visa) asks only for "Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand" and says nothing about having to pre-book accommodation for the whole of your stay in Thailand. I don't know how they would react if you submitted proof of booking for your first night's stay only, but I should think most tourists don't have their itineraries planned so inflexibly that they know in advance where they'll be staying throughout a holiday of 60 days or more.
-@Retiree

I have read the requirements for some of the visa issued in Malaysia and they are actually not correct. Maybe they haven't changed them after July 1. No one on a 60 days TR visa are supposed to pay for accomodation the whole period. So, entering on a 45 days visa exempt in October might be a good move.

firstly it isn't a "tourist visa" - it's VISA EXEMPT entry.

It has been extended to 45 days (from 30) for the 50 or so nations that are signed up to this arrangement.

However it isn't clear how long and extension to this will be given.

Previously 1900 baht got you up to 30 days. Will they give you 15, 30 or 45 days under the new arrangement? I suspect it will be only 15.

It has been extended to 45 days (from 30) for the 50 or so nations that are signed up to this arrangement.
Previously 1900 baht got you up to 30 days. Will they give you 15, 30 or 45 days under the new arrangement? I suspect it will be only 15.
-@Khunwilko

You will get another 45 days when extending the initial 45 days visa exempt. It's already been announced.

Hi everybody. I plan to enter in Thailand soon with 45 days visa exemption, at a land frontier point (Koh Kong, Cambodia). Will I be asked for a return ticket (air flight ??? bus ?). Thanks in advance :-)

Hi everybody. I plan to enter in Thailand soon with 45 days visa exemption, at a land frontier point (Koh Kong, Cambodia). Will I be asked for a return ticket (air flight ??? bus ?). Thanks in advance :-)
-@Laurent futur Nha Trang

I have never heard of anyone being asked about any type of return ticket when entering Thailand by land.

-@Khunwilko
You will get another 45 days when extending the initial 45 days visa exempt. It's already been announced.
-@Leeds forever!

Today thai immigration announced that after a border run that will give you a 45 days visa exempt,it can be extended another 30 days at the local immigration office. Very strange because in September they announced that you would get another 45 days when extending it.

@Leeds forever! Hello mate, please can you advise on this issue (bear in mind I have never had an issue in 10 years travel to Thailand on visa exemption): I was denied entry 2 weeks ago because I did not have the 20,000 baht in cash on my person (quoted 10,000 baht recently but that's immaterial now!) the officer at immigration came across very irritable and was rude (having a bad day explaining to stupid british people) but most pertinently was very strict implying that I did not come for tourism and i had been on many visa-runs.. I have re-booked for 26th October and hopefully will be allowed through on a visa exemption but will have the cash and other documents to hand if required. My main bugbear is that I fave booked return for 30th March 2023 as I normally stay for 6 months. Is the fact that my return ticket exceeds the limit returning to the UK to be a problem? I have booked a week to Malaysia 30 days after my arrival too. TIA

@Leeds forever! Hello mate, please can you advise on this issue (bear in mind I have never had an issue in 10 years travel to Thailand on visa exemption): I was denied entry 2 weeks ago because I did not have the 20,000 baht in cash on my person (quoted 10,000 baht recently but that's immaterial now!) the officer at immigration came across very irritable and was rude (having a bad day explaining to stupid british people) but most pertinently was very strict implying that I did not come for tourism and i had been on many visa-runs.. I have re-booked for 26th October and hopefully will be allowed through on a visa exemption but will have the cash and other documents to hand if required. My main bugbear is that I fave booked return for 30th March 2023 as I normally stay for 6 months. Is the fact that my return ticket exceeds the limit returning to the UK to be a problem? I have booked a week to Malaysia 30 days after my arrival too. TIA
-@Dermot Gallagher

The return ticket shouldn't be a problem and you have a forwarding flight to Malaysia 30 days later. The only problem would be the reason you were denied entry the first time. But you won't probably run into the same immigration officer again. 😁 Immigration started denying people entry around 2019 because of multiple border runs. Then came the pandemic. After that I would have thought that Thailand wanted tourists and they did recently extend the 30 days visa exempt to 45 days. So why starting denying people entry all of a sudden? The only thing to do is try again.

@Leeds forever! Thanks for reply. The rude lady at immigration did mention "visa runs" but, when I went to my local immigration (who I got to know well) they were always extremely diligent and it would appear the officer at Bangkok was undermining their decision. I have never been asked about the return ticket but, as you can imagine the experience has made me doubt that very much. I am going to have to amend my ticket for another 7,000 baht to within 45 days and then amend again if and when necessary and hopefully only once more. The Thai immigration officer seemed intent on denying me entry and effectively deported me for not having the cash on me. As it stands that is 10,000 baht whereas before it was 20,000 baht. I do wonder if the officials know the rules any more (?) but , my attitude (naturally after my experience) is to play it safe and see what the lay of the land is there. It could be described as fluid but, i would say it is stringent and punitive and I will err on the side of caution and not expect any form of leniency. My question for the Thai Embassy is do I need to present the return ticket again after i extend and so on or will it be redundant, as you seem to suggest? Look forward to hearing from you, cheers for answering my call!

@Leeds forever! Thanks for reply. The rude lady at immigration did mention "visa runs" but, when I went to my local immigration (who I got to know well) they were always extremely diligent and it would appear the officer at Bangkok was undermining their decision. I have never been asked about the return ticket but, as you can imagine the experience has made me doubt that very much. I am going to have to amend my ticket for another 7,000 baht to within 45 days and then amend again if and when necessary and hopefully only once more. The Thai immigration officer seemed intent on denying me entry and effectively deported me for not having the cash on me. As it stands that is 10,000 baht whereas before it was 20,000 baht. I do wonder if the officials know the rules any more (?) but , my attitude (naturally after my experience) is to play it safe and see what the lay of the land is there. It could be described as fluid but, i would say it is stringent and punitive and I will err on the side of caution and not expect any form of leniency. My question for the Thai Embassy is do I need to present the return ticket again after i extend and so on or will it be redundant, as you seem to suggest? Look forward to hearing from you, cheers for answering my call!
-@Dermot Gallagher
You will never really know the reason Immigration at the airport denied you entry.If it was because of money or to many visa runs.The local immigration office in Thailand might ask you to show a return ticket or a forwarding ticket when extending the stay. It's totally up to them.The requirements aren't exactly the same as they were before the pandemic.They might also ask you to submit a TM30 before applying for the extension.The TM30 shows where you're staying.

@Leeds forever! The paperwork that they let me have (the rest they held on file which again is unfair and not transparent like refusing an appeal) only gave the lack of 20,000 baht on my person as reason due to not having sufficient means to live on which was unfair because I had far more than that in my bank account but could not prove it to them or even go to the cash-point inside. It was a poor decision but I take full responsibility and go again!

@Leeds forever! The paperwork that they let me have (the rest they held on file which again is unfair and not transparent like refusing an appeal) only gave the lack of 20,000 baht on my person as reason due to not having sufficient means to live on which was unfair because I had far more than that in my bank account but could not prove it to them or even go to the cash-point inside. It was a poor decision but I take full responsibility and go again!
-@Dermot Gallagher

If you had shown them 20,000 baht in cash,they could easily have said you've had to many visa runs. Do they really think that 20,000 baht is enough for a 30 or 45 days holiday? If money is the most important thing,they could take you to the closest ATM or ask you to show your bank account on your phone. I have several friends visiting Thailand once or twice every year. They have never ever been asked to show any money on arrival. Normally when arriving, people goes to the closest ATM after going through customs.

@Leeds forever! it does not exist - trust me I looked, its on the other side...i take your point though and plenty of food for thought.

@Leeds forever! it does not exist - trust me I looked, its on the other side...i take your point though and plenty of food for thought.
-@Dermot Gallagher

I said the closest ATM after going through customs. It's on the other side.