Just moved to Panama City coming from Florida

Hey everyone, I just moved to Panama City coming from Florida. I am working at an international school in Brisas del Golf and enjoy all but the way people drive here! My goal is to work a few more years and travel around Panama for a possible retirement home. I cane here with three pets including a 92 pound German Shepherd. If you have questions, I am happy to share.

Star

@ssmith338 Hi Star,

Did you have to quarantine your pets? If so how long? Are you enjoying Panama?

Patrice

@patrice999

I did not have to quarantine my pets.  Just as a suggestion if you are bringing pets in, be very diligent with which airline or company you use.  I used Petsgoglobal even though my Schnauzer is only 22 pounds.  Some airlines have become very strict so I used Marla Paul's company and she made sure everything was in place and my furbabies were delivered happy and healthy.  I was told that you are supposed to quarantine your pets at home but that is where they were going anyway.  Panama is nice but I do not drive in Panama City, the traffic is totally unbelievable.  Uber is an easy way to get around because of their app.  There is lots of great shopping - I did not ship anything but just purchased what I needed when I arrived.  My plan is to continue to work here in Brisas Del Golf for at least three years and start looking around at the different towns to see if I would be happy retiring here.  The people here are very accommodating even though I do not speak Spanish.  I also like that most services are provided at your home.  I have had the mechanic, vet and groomer all come and provide needed services here at my home.  Groceries are about the same except cheese, and sodas I have noticed to be a little higher especially if you buy American made products.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Star

Hello everyone,

Great news, Star !

Thanks for offering to help, it is very much appreciated.

I have created this new thread on the Panama forum from these few posts for better interaction. The other thread was a topic about cost of living.

@ Patrice feel free to start your own thread should you need specific infos about quarantine  : Panama forum

all the best,

Bhavna

@ssmith338

I am kind of curious how you survive socially since you state that you do not speak Spanish. :)

I just moved to Panama City and rent a house in San Antonio. I do speak Spanish, but I am still trying to sort out how to structure my life in these new surroundings. Yes, Panamanians are friendly, but they also have a life (job, spouse, children, grandchildren...), and as a recently retired person from Europe I find that some of my days may be long and boring.

Geir Lie

I can understand the days being boring, especially in Panama City.   I work at an international school and I also have a position as an online adjunct instructor for a college and tutor so I am generally very busy.  My problem is that I want to go places but I am scared to death of driving because people here drive so aggressively.  I have a car and I get around my area but would love to see more of Panama.  I am planning a few beach trips once the rainy season ends and would like to visit some of the popular retirement towns.  I live outside of Panama City and am only a few miles from my school but I always leave my house 30 minutes early just because I want to not be rushed and stressed!  I also have pets so we walk a lot.  I am also by myself so there are lonely times.

Star

@ssmith338

If you live close to Brisas, we are practically neighbors since I live in San Antonio. If you should happen to have long and boring days, do not hesitate to contact me. :)

Hello Geir Lie,

That's nice! 1f60a.svg

Feel free to send a message to ssmith338 by using the private messaging system if needed.

Since you are new here, I invite you to introduce yourself on the following thread >  New members of the Panama forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

As you can see, this thread is dedicated to new members, let's tell us more about yourself. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Geir Lie

I have found some great excursions and want to go but did not want to go alone.  Maybe we can team up?  I am not sure how to private message and am very busy this week but if you can send one, I will get back.  I have to work long hours Thursday and Friday and finally found a pet sitter to take my dogs out so I meet her tonight.  If she works out, I can go on day trips and just have her take them out while we are gone.  I am off the first week in November and really want to get out and get to know more about Panama.  Just let me know!

Star

@ssmith338

Perfect. I did not know either how to send direct messages, but I found out and just sent you one. :)

Yes, I am also interested in getting to know Panama.