Arrived in Phnom Penh last night

Hi all. Arrived in Phnom Penh from Seoul Inchon Korea last night on Korea Airlines. Very easy process to get Ordinary Visa. I paid an extra $5 and got the visa in the passport in 5 minutes. There were a few flights arriving close to when mine did and I had flown 17 hours so the $5 seemed a wonderful deal to me. I got a taxi service on bookmebus and the driver was a nice young Khmer guy holding a sign up with my name and got me right to my airbnb. I did not notice if the SIM card stands were open at night but I did see some signs for them. I had already bought an eSIM service for my phone which is really easy to use if your phone supports them. I just installed it on wifi at the airport and had data services when I left so I could message my airbnb host and play around on messaging different people I had arrived.

So anyways, the entire process is very easy. I would recommend spending the $5 for the express visa service since you bypass all the lines and I am just a lazy retired guy. Also arranging a ride was easy on bookmebus. 

If you are concerned or curious about the visa on arrival process, it is very easy. Normally it takes a few stops at different desks but the express service removes that. Just be sure if you are gonna get some extension of stay you get the right visa to start with. There are three little forms to fill out and they want US dollars cash. I had exact amount.

Now I am back! Very happy to be in PP. Already messaged Kim to get visa extension. I stay here for three weeks and then move along to SR to live.

Take care all.

Happy all went well. I have been in PP for a month. My first time. I love it here. The Khmer people are so nice. My only complaint are how unfriendly the expat community is. I have only met one Australian guy that struck up a friendly conversation. All other won't even make eye contact. No real issue, I have made many Khmer friends.

@mpmilestogo

Welcome back, have a great time!

Joe

@blueNSX maybe its a Phnom Penh thing. Here in Siem Reap expats are much friendlier, you should try it.

@hdgh29. I believe you. Was in Siem Reap last week. It's a very nice place. Thanks for the advice.

@hdgh29 Been here for one day now and it seems to me that the crowd here is different than I remember before. Last time I lived in PP for some months but mostly traveled around Cambodia and other places so perhaps I did not notice. I stayed at a airbnb the was hosted by an English expat and I thought all the folks there were nice. I do think Siem Reap is more close knit and social and I'l be living there. I do want to get to Kampot and visit Kep again as well before I head to Vietnam for a bit. I'll be glad to get an apartment in SR and kinda settle down or almost settle down. I think the pace of SR life will suit me more than here.

That's great man, I'm really jealous. I'm glad your trip went entirely well. Learning from you guys how to get into Cambodia will be a breeze for me when it's my turn.

@mpmilestogo I was at a live music gig last night. The place was crowded, I recognised most of the people and at least a dozen or so were friends I have met here, although I am not a particularly social person. So yes, it is a bit more close knit, maybe because the city centre is compact and expats stay in the same area, whereas PP is a bit more spread out.

Just an update on the retirement extension for anyone wondering how long, how much, why its best to work with Kim in PP :-). I met up with Kim this morning close to my airbnb. She picked up my passport, validated my visa, took a passport photo and $293. I will get the passport back this Friday with the retirement extension. Of course I went for the year extension.

She had told me initially 5 working days but she let me know it would be sooner. Kim is simply the best! Lets you know the steps, what you need, she met me where I live, etc.

@mpmilestogo

I fully agree.

There are good agents elsewhere, Kampot, Siem reap, Sihanoukville, but for Phnom Penh Kim is the most knowledgeable and reliable agent.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Joe How can I contact Kim? Can I email her regarding a Retirement Visa?

Regards

Sam

@Samz001

Google Call Kim and contact her on WhatsApp.

Joe

Hi Joe How can I contact Kim? Can I email her regarding a Retirement Visa?
Regards
Sam
-@Samz001

Even though Joe Khmer is a regular here and answers usually quite quickly (and seems to answer gladly), it's probably better to address questions to everyone and not just Joe, that's how the forum is supposed to work, and it's also the ‘safer' option (in case Joe isn't available for whatever reason).

If you wish to speak to a member privately, that's a possibility too (direct message by clicking on a member's profile).

cheers :)

Just Google "Call Kim" for all her contact details.

@blueNSX Yeah I also heard the Khmer people are really nice! Hope to be in PP end of this month. Would be nice to know few people once there! Cheers!

@Hyder37 Hi. I am back in PP for a week or so. Just wanted to let you know weather is simply beautiful. Was out walking today and had breakfast with a Khmer friend at this beautiful coffee spot called Chiet Cafe. Has to be one of the nicest coffee shops. Right down by riverside. I like to stop at the Grand River Bar along the riverside but up the street are some wonderful little Khmer places to eat as well. I will be meeting a friend from the US that is going to be living in Cambodia. We will wander around PP for a week and then bus back to SR. I hope maybe this time to find an apartment after the next airbnb. Or I will go to Kampot and bother Joe. Hahaha.

Anyways, I did find a tuktuk driver I had used before back perhaps in 2018 or so and we chatted about the times. Nice guy. Also know a few people here and there in the city that I have visited.

Hope you have a great time. I enjoy Phnom Penh but I will be glad to get back to SR. I miss Viva in the mornings for breakfast.

Take care.

@mpmilestogo Sounds great! Hope you enjoy your time as well. Seems like you enjoy the place means my decision is right to move and live in Cambodia. If you know anyone or how to grab a decent job there will appreciate it. I want to come get a job/transfer my Visa permanent and get a studio apartment for myself. Really looking forward to my stay in Cambodia after hearing all positive news from you all. Hope to cross paths with you and others as well. Would be nice to meet up!

Cheers!