Updated 6 months ago

Would you like to do an internship in California? This article provides you information on the requirements for an internship.

To do an internship in California, you need to find a sponsorship organization. This organization will provide you with the DS-2019 form that will allow you to apply for an internship visa also known as the J-1 visa. To check if the field in which you want to do an internship is allowed in California, you can visit the U.S. Department of Education and Cultural Affairs website.

Types of visas

The J-1 visa is divided into three categories: the "Intern" visa, the "Trainee" visa and the "Work & Travel" visa. You must first decide in which category you need to make your visa application.

To be eligible for a J-1 "Intern" visa, you must be between 18 and 38 years old at the time of your internship. You must be a student or graduate for less than twelve months and the field in which you choose to do your internship must match your studies. The "Intern" visa is valid for a period of twelve months and is renewable.

To obtain a J-1 "Trainee" visa, you must be between 18 and 38 years old and have graduated within the last twelve months. You will be entitled to a non-renewable 18 months period visa. If you have a degree in teaching, you must provide proof of at least one year of experience. If you do not have a degree, you must have five years experience in the field of the desired course.

You will be entitled to a J-1 "Work & Travel" visa if you are between 18 and 28 years old at the time of your internship and if you are a student. However, your internship should not last more than four months.

For more information about this, please consult the following link:

Find an internship

To find an internship, you can consult an employment agency abroad. It will handle all the formalities for you (fees will be required). You can also go through the Internet. Here are some useful links:

My Internship Abroad

Career Builder

Career Path

Monster Board

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.