Visiting Dubai for the first time

Hi,

I currently work for a private bank in the UK, in wealth management. My boyfriend is a lawyer. We're both interested in moving to Dubai, to achieve a better standard of life (enjoy the sunshine and to hopefully make a bit of money). As a UK lawyer, the options open to my boyfriend overseas are limited and the UAE is one of the few options open to us where his qualifications would be upheld. We're also keen on being in a secular environment, and from what I've heard and read Dubai seems to fit the bill.

We are looking to visit for a week or so, to experience the city for ourselves and to see if it is indeed as we imagine, prior to making the move.

I would be grateful if someone can answer the following questions:

1.We're looking to stay in a nice, clean hotel, at least 4*, with close proximity to the beach. What are the good areas, districts wise, if we want to remain close to the heart of the city?
2.What's the most cost effective way of booking flights and hotels from the UK?
3.UK based agencies such as Hays Legal and Hays Banking have offices in Dubai…are they good? What local agencies are good for banking and law?
4.As we're not married yet, will my boyfriend and I face any problems with regards to staying in the hotel together?

I would be grateful for answers to the above. Thank you.

Being close to beach there is Jumeirah Beach but you may not be close to the heart of city.

Better options being close to heart of city is any hotel located in Bur Dubai Area. You may find one in web site try search Hotels in Burdubai in web search engine.

Legal firms are many and options for BF is working with such firms or banks and even any consultancy or advisory firms he and you may try your luck. getting job these days is pretty difficult. Banks were good but now crisis has crushed them.

Yes staying in one hotel together could be a issue and not accepted by hotel management since being unmarried. So need to occupy two rooms.

Cost effective way is to come through travel agents there is Al rais, Emirates, Gulf Air and many others.
Thats all regards
Callme

Yes staying in one hotel together could be a issue and not accepted by hotel management since being unmarried. So need to occupy two rooms.

Or...get some fake wedding rings and register as Mr. and Missus. I doubt they will ask for more proof.

nothing go head

If you want a beach hotel you're not near the city centre, you're about 30km away. All the beach hotels have unmarried tourists staying all the time, they're international chains such as Sheraton, Hilton, Le Meridien, Ritz Carlton.

The city hotels along the Creek, such as Radisson Blu, Sheraton Dubai Creek, are in the centre. The areas you need to look at for city centre location are Deira and Bur Dubai.

Dubai is much more liberal than most Gulf states but don't be fooled, it is not secular, it is Muslim state governed by Sharia Law. Many visitors, and even expat residents, fall foul of the law because they don't understand that fact.

I've always found that booking flights and hotels online myself is the best method. A good hotel site is hotels-of-dubai.com