Pets

I need to know about pets in Ecuador. My mom has a 14 yr old cat she wants to bring and it tearful she may have to leave him behind. What are the procedures of getting a pet into Ecuador? Costs? Any information would be very helpful! Thank you!!!

Sharlied

I would like to adopt a kitten about 2 months old. Color and breed is not a concern. Please contact me at [email protected]

For the first poster:  Go to the USDA site at  http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/v … ador.shtml  and follow the links for Ecuador and Dogs & Cats.

And for Kitty4Me2:  Stop over at the local Vet and tell them you are looking for a kitten to bring home.  They should be able to help you find a purrfect kitty and make sure they are set with all the shots they will need to be a healthy and happy companion!

Thank you--I will try that.

Unable to locate a vet in Cotacachi ???? Any other sugestions on how to adopt a kitten.

Try the rescue group Amigos con Colas

http://amigosconcola.blogspot.com/

which you will have to put through translate.

But do look for a vet in your area or look in Otovalo or Quito. If you had a pet medical emergency you need to now where to take your new kitty!

There is definitely a vet in Otavalo, so try there.  Slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed a distinct shortage, if not near total absence of cats in Ecuador?  I see loads of them for sale on Mercado Libre, but I have never seen single cat in Ecuador, except the one owned by an Expat neighbour in a gated community.  Dogs roam the streets everywhere but I have yet to see a cat outside.  What is that about?  We are cat lovers and plan to bring our feline child with us when we move permanently, but I am extremely curious about the apparent lack of cat sightings!!  Is it just me???  :huh:

Deb

I have also noticed the shortage of cats in Cotacachi ???  With the number of street dogs running amok on the streets I would guess that they kill every cat that gets out of their protected area or they get run over by the vehicles.If I ever get a kitten it will be strictly a house cat.

I have finally adopted a little kitty--Ceniza. Now the next step is traveling with her back and forth to the USA and Ecuador. Is there any place that you can purchase travel approved carry on carriers in Quito ?? Also any advice anyone can give me on the procedures to take to make this an easy trip for all. Thanks..

(Moderated: No free ads on the forum please. Please register in the Business Directory in Cuenca)

I have a question on pets, I now understand we can bring pets and that it will probably be a unfurnished house or apartment, but I need to know, how did you get them from the airport to a hotel, and did some hotels let you keep them there until you got an apartment or home?  Do they have vets that will keep them for you?  How did others that brought pets manage through to the "We've signed our apartment lease" with multiple pets?

Hello Denise,

You have to decide through with airport are you coming to Ecuador, Quito or Guayaquil, and then find a hotel that allows pets, you have the option to find a hostal for dogs, too.

Remenber that once in Ecuador, your dogs had to pass an inspection and paperwork to allow them enter in the country.
Is a short tramit, one day, if you have all the docs.
Then, is important to know at what time you arrive to Ecuador because the dogs can't leave the airport until the tramit is done.
I don't know of anybody who does this tramit in Guayaquil but I know a good one in Quito. If you're interested, I can give you his email.

Also notice Guayaquil is 3 hours from Cuenca by car and 8 hours from Quito but you have the option to take a plane with the dogs and only takes 30 minutes.

Good Luck
Vinny

vinny66 wrote:

Hello Denise,

You have to decide through with airport are you coming to Ecuador, Quito or Guayaquil, and then find a hotel that allows pets, you have the option to find a hostal for dogs, too.

Remenber that once in Ecuador, your dogs had to pass an inspection and paperwork to allow them enter in the country.
Is a short tramit, one day, if you have all the docs.
Then, is important to know at what time you arrive to Ecuador because the dogs can't leave the airport until the tramit is done.
I don't know of anybody who does this tramit in Guayaquil but I know a good one in Quito. If you're interested, I can give you his email.

Also notice Guayaquil is 3 hours from Cuenca by car and 8 hours from Quito but you have the option to take a plane with the dogs and only takes 30 minutes.

Good Luck
Vinny

Hi Vinnie 66,
Can you tell me more about this process?  I am travelling with my dog in August and have been reading extensively on the process and paperwork to bring her in and this is the first time I've heard this word: What is a Tramit? What is this process?  Is it above and beyond the standard customs process we will go through? I have been reading about the USDA docs I will get from my vet and have stamped by my local consulate.  I have this all lined up to happen within one week of leaving.  What else do I need to be prepared for?
Our current plan is to route through Guyaquill into Quito.  Do you know if we will have to do it in the first city or does it happen in Quito?  Any help you can provide is appreciated!  I have high anxiety about this process and want to be prepared for every step!
Thanks

Hello Ltlrvr

What you need to bring ypur dogs to Ecuador is:
      International Health Certificate (APHIS 7001 form)
      Rabies certificate valid for less than a year.

I think this docs have to aproved by an ecuadorian consulate.

In the airway bill isued by the airline, were it says CONSIGNEE they should write your name, passport mnumber and the name of the broker who will do the customs clearance in Ecuador.
In DESCRIPTION they should write "Personal effects/pets"

Keep in mind that airlines has diferent policies about shipping dogs, someones doesn't accept sedated animals or when the temperature is too high.

Rules for the ecuadorian airports

No pets to arrive on Fri, Sat, or Sun!! No exceptions!
-All pets will clear Customs as cargo (can not clear at PAX terminal even if accompanied by PAX).
-All pets will stay overnight in UIO warehouse until Customs opens the next day.
-Broker is required for Customs clearance.

If your flight stops in Guayaquil first, are you changing planes? Or is just and stopover? it is just a stopover and you don't get in the airport you will do the customs in Quito.

Vinny