Vietnam - general info please

Ok I'll admit it,

geographically I have no idea of Vietnam.

I'm looking for a quiet place on the coast somewhere, cheap accommodation, beer and internet are my only requirements.

Recommendations anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Nha Trang is a beautiful city.  Nice clubs and restaurants.  Beautiful beaches.  A little outside the city are some inexpensive places to live.  Internet is fairly cheap.

Thanks for the info Perry.

I don't need to live in the city, but within view and easy access of the sea would be good :D

I'll probably be on a budget of around $1500 a month - will that suffice?

Thanks,

Lee

That is more than enough, IMHO.  The forum for Nha Trang is https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=688.  You can contact "Owee" on the forum.  He is Canadian with a Vietnamese wife.  They run a very nice hotel across the highway from the beach at the north end of the city.  I met him during my last trip in February.  He is very nice and helpful.  Tell him I said "Hi."

Warmly welcome you to Vietnam Lee! Hope you have a great trip! :) I love beach too :), You can consider Phan Thiet city with Mui Ne Beach, not far away from Phan Thiet downtown. It's my hometown too :) Best wishes

I know a lot of foreigner living there . Phan Thiet is a great place for you !

Thanks all for the useful info, a bit more reading up on Vietnam needed first I think ;)

Visas, areas, dos and don'ts.

I'm used to living in different countries and like to research them first, but to begin with I want to do a couple of months in various countries - cambodia, bali, phillipines, vietnam to get the flavour of where else I may like to settle.

My current base is in Egypt and I'll be keeping it as a base for the future, but I have a 2 month block in October/November where I want to get away.

I'll be working while away (I work remotely) so I just need a cheap hotel/short term rental near the beach.

Thanks again,

Lee

Hi Lee,

With that budget, you can stay in almost any coastal cities in Vietnam.  The important thing is your language skill:  how is your Vietnamese?  Unlike most of their Asian counterparts, not many Vietnameses speak English.  Also, how well do you adjust to different tastes and ways of doing things.  The foods here and the cultures here are quite different. 

Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is access to medical cares.  The farther you go from the main cities (Ha Noi, Da Nang and Saigon), the worst the medical facilities and services get. 

I hope that helps.  Best of luck, Lee.

Regards,
Howie

Thanks Wild,

I speak no Vietnamese, I've spent the past year and a half learning Egyptian arabic ;)  I intend to learn the language wherever I go though.

Different cultures I love.  I generally mix with the locals, doesn't matter about language, we can always communicate.

I respect local customs and culture and love different food.

Medical care - I have no insurance anyway, if something happens, it happens ;)

Regards,

LC

I think Phu Quoc is a great place to live, the beach is nice, clean and everyone is friendly. You can find more information in this blog:

http://saigonstay.wordpress.com/2011/07 … 1c-island/

Hi Lee,

Yes, Phu Quoc is a nice little island.  That is where I would settle if I don't have other obligations. 

I am quite certain, if given the time, you will mix in just fine.  But, please be aware that Vietnamese aren't as patient as others around the world.  You can look up the topic "Getting to know a typical Vietnamese" on here and learn about these guys.  There is some really good posts on there.

Medical cares here are cheap.  No worry there.  It is the condition of the facilities and the serious lack of professionalism on the part of the staffs that throw many people off.  I am not referring to the foreign-owned and -operated facilities in the major cities.  I am talking about the Vietnamese facilities in the smaller cities, where foreign presence is limited.  Imagine sharing your hospital bed with other, or getting yourself screamed at by the nurse...

Other than that, getting away from the beaten tracks is the way to go here.  There are lots to see and do.

But, you must learn the language.  Things come much easier when you can communicate with the locals.  Hey, with that budget, you might be able to find yourself a translator to help you with communication in the beginning.

Another thing that you might want to look into is a multiple-entries visas.  It saves lots of times and headaches.

Good luck,
Howie

I love you guys!

Phu Quoc sounds and looks awesome.  I presume I'll be ok with a 3G internet USB stick on there?

I have no obligations apart from remote work so I can be very flexible with my location.  I'm really not into cities at all thought.

Thanks again for the info.

Lee

Hey Lee,

That sounds good.  But, before you come, please stock up on the medications (Tylenols, anti-diarrheas, cough suppressants...).  That is how I survived Can Tho the past 2+ years. 

Being able to ride a motorbike would greatly help in moving about where you want to live also.  Yes, there are cars here.  However, traffics and road conditions are poor; therefore, they are sort of an inconvenient method of transportation.

The internet is readily available here, and it is quite cheap, provided that you don't venture too far into the boonies.

Regards,
Howie

Tylenol & Chap Ice are a real need and are just not available. I've been here over 4 years and can't find it anywhere. I have it sent from the States, along with some good old American coffee, just can't get the taste for the local stuff. $1500.00 a month budget?? You got it made here Dude.

I have a small motorbike here in Egypt, so that would be my preferred method of transportation :D

Egypt is also great for cheap and effective medicines so I can easily stock up on paracetemol (tylenol), ibuprofen etc before I come.

Thanks again for the info.

Lee

Also Lee,

If you haven't gotten your shots, namely malaria, then get them before you come.  Mosquitos and bugs are still a problem in Vietnam, especially in the areas that you like.

Another thing is western cusines:  get your fills because they are hard to come by here, particularly beef.  I had to go all the way to Singapore for my steaks and hamburgers.

Enjoy,
Howie

Howie, hike over to the metro and check out the selection of meat they have now. I picked up a couple of packages of short ribs (USA) the other day and in the chill room they are carrying ground beef, although its VN it sure did taste good. I tried to find out if they were going to carry any other cuts of meat from the US but could get there with the meat manger. Maybe you can find out. We had a small BBQ the other afternoon and they ain't nothing like a good old fashion grilling of burgers and ribs topped off by a bunch of cold Buds.

Budman,

I have heard about Metro and its beefs.  I went there about a year ago, but they gave me some hassles over the ballcap that I was wearing.  So, I gave them a piece of my mind and had not returned since. 

Are you sure it's American?  Last I heard, it was Australian beef?  But, either one would do for me.  I have had a hard time getting the proper cuts here with the local butchers, even though I know the major vendor in the city personally.  They just don't cut beef the way we do.  Furthermore, Vietnamese beef is really not as tender.  Anyhow, I will definitely give Metro another shot shortly.  I will let you know.

Budman, don't even remind me of those good old BBQs (Labor Day Weenkend, Memorial Day...).  Ribs, burgers, jumbo dogs...  Mashed potatoes and gravy, with mushrooms...  Buffalo wings...  Must stop now!!!  I don't wanna have to book a flight home. 

I saw some Budweisers in My Khanh.  I ordered one, it was the best I had tasted.  But didn't dare to go for second.  I tried and have been trying to stick with the domestic beers.  Imports, aside from Heinekens, are hard to come by.

Old Lee, I hope you are taking notes, man.  Can Tho is not as far off the beaten tracks as Phu Quoc is.  So, get yours in before you come here.  I don't know how Biudman is doing it.  But I was on the verge of booking my ticket home for Christmas, before I discovered Singapore.

I will definitely give Metro a though run through now.

Good day guys,
Howie

Howie Metro has Bud in cans and bottles. Yep I'm sure the short ribs are USA. Their in the freeze box on the left side as you start to enter the chill room. They used to carry frozen chicken leg quarters and wings by TYSONS, only thing was they were in case lots. A bit to much chicken to buy at one time. They still carry them in smaller portions. On the right side of the chill room in the freezer box. Yes they also have AUS beef frozen and chill.There hat policy drives my wife crazy too.

Yep got all three. As you come out of the chill box look to the first row of grocerys on the left side. They also have ketchup and mustard. I they Co-op has some hot sauce, but it's a bear trying to find a place to park since they made the outside a moto parking area only. If your looking for snacks like chips and crackers. The best selection I've found is at Maximart.

Hi Lee,

Try to get a basic travel or medical insurance before coming. It would be very useful for evacuation if needed. There are only 1 foreign hospital (Franco Vietnam) here, but not enough doctors and facility for serious case (and much expensive also)

Lucas

Budman1,

You are the best, dude!  Thanks so much.  If it weren't for you, I would have had my family and friends send them to me from the States.  I wasn't going to go back to Metro after that hat incident.  But now I will.

Up until the past couple of months, I was doing fine with the Vietnamese foods.  But then, a buddy brought me some New York cut steaks; and I made that trip to Singapore and got myself some McDonalds'; I could not handle it anymore.

BTW, where do you live in Can Tho?  I live in Ninh Kieu district, walking distance to that Coopmart.  Yes, parking is quite crazy there now. 

If you need some Tylenols, let me know.  My sister is a pharmacist at Sam's Club in southern California.  She supplies me with medications every now and then.  I am currently out of Tylenols, but I do have some generics, if you need them.

Let me know, and thanks again.

Regards,
Howie

Howie I'm about an hour or so south of Can Tho. I use it as a reference point because not to many people of heard of were we live, it called Nga Bay. Sidewalks are up as the sun goes down. Thanks for the offer on the Tylenol but I'm pretty well stocked up right now. Glad to be of help on the sauces.

Hi Lucas, unfortunately it's not possible to buy travel insurance from Egypt, oh well ;)

Hello Budman,

Geee...  I thought that Lee was going to venture far off the beaten path.  But, your location is worst.  It is really in the middle of nowhere.

All kiddings aside, you are a much better man than I am, venturing that far off.  But, that is really the way to go, Budman.  That is the real Vietnam.  Unless, Lee pulls a stunner and goes into somewhere that none of us know about, you are the best on here.  Kudos to you, Budman!

And, on top of that, you know more about Can Tho's supermarkets than I do...  Man, you are a beast!!!  You have gotten to give me your number; I must take you out for a beer, the next time I head south.

There are only 2 Americans that I know of in the Mekong Delta.  One is a retired Army guy, from Oregon, with a Vietnamese wife; he goes back and forth every 5+ months.  The other one is a Vietnames-American, from New York; he is in the process of making his stay here a little longer. 

Anyhow, it would be really cool if we can all get together.  Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Howie

Hi Lee,

I forgot to remind you that, when you come here, bring you driver license with you.  If you have a motorcycle license, that is even better.  Chances are, you being a Caucasian, the local police will not toy with you.  However, if you take them lightly and you don't have the proper documents, you will survive but it just won't be as fun.  So, take the time and obtain those before you come.

Regards,
Howie