Teaching in Cambodia

Hi there,

Firstly, I know that this type of topic has undoubtebly been done to death on these forums but after searching for a few hours, I just can't seem to find out the information I'm after!

So I figured, I'd just ask directly on the forum and see what you all think.
I have a few questions.

Which would be better to get? CELTA in Bangkok or a TEFL Course somewhere in Phnom Penh? It seems to be an ongoing discussion that a tefl course in Cambodia will only serve you in Cambodia, where as a CELTA course from bangkok will serve you widely accross asia, which ultimately I want to work in Cambodia, but with the option to travel and move around if I please. I'm only 19, turning 20 very shortly so I may wish to move in a few years, who knows!
If so, what course do YOU personally recommend?

What is the general cost of living / expenses? I have read that 100 - 200usd$ for a room is a good estimate, but if you guys are living there, who better to ask? Having looked at the classifieds, it seems to be on about par, ofcourse dependant on location and quality of the facilities available.

I'm not just looking to get this job to live in another county, ultimately, I want to make it my career. I've always been interested in teaching and teaching english. I may be young, but I see that as a personal advantage, maybe I'm lacking in life experience, but I have travelled around quite a bit for my age too.

Anyways, before I write an essay, I do appreciate any input to this, so thankyou :)

Cameron

Hello Cameron and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will soon have replies to your queries.

Harmonie.:)

Thankyou, I hope so too, I'm eager to learn heh :)

Hi Cameron, I've also just started a topic asking similar questions.

What diid you go for, did you earn your accreditation in BKK? What was it like and what did it cost. Are you in Cambodia now. I'm interested to find what's happened.

Sean

That's what I have heard as well: qualifications obtained in cambodia would only help you in cambodia... I've been here two years and it sounds highly reasonable :-$