Plan on moving to Barcelona in summer 2012...need help!!

Hey guys!!! very excited to join this forum!!! My name is Karlen! I am Armenian, living in Boston, USA right now. My girlfriend, and I have decided to move to Spain for next summer around April or may, for about three months. If we like it, and can make a living. We plan on moving in for good! I am really excited, as I am a big fan of Spain. Basically what i need from you guys #1 is friendship! and some good useful
information for our trip to Barca. We are both 24 years old. I am already learning Spanish on the side slowly. She is ok at Spanish also. I would appreciate all, and any help from you guys! thank you so much ahead of time! I am going to have a lot of questions about work, living areas, social life, possible certificate degree programs, and also how i could start my own business type of thing, and the laws. thank you so much again!!! i will actively keep in touch! don't be strangers!

Hello Karlen and welcome to Expat.com!

You should ask specific questions (one by one), so that you get detailed replies.

I hope that other members will help you too.

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Karlan,

I am an American who has been living in Barcelona, Spain for almost 7 years now. I can help you with most of your concerns.
First of all you definately need to learn Spanish. Most people here don't speak english. So keep up the studies.
Secondly you will need to figure out where you want to live. It all depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Do you want to live in a tourist area or do you want to live in a totally Spanish neighborhood to get the real experience of living here?
When you choose an area then you will need to find an apartment(piso).
If you arrive in April you will have a better chance of negociating a good price for your piso. Most of the tourists will arrive at the beginning of June.
You will need a cellphone and it is much better to get a prepaid cell phone here in Barcelona than trying to get a good price on an international plan. I am not totally sure but you should check with your provider to see what they have to offer for an international plan.
Any other questions that you have just send me a private message and I will help you out.

Saludos!