Nervous

Dear All,
        Ive just signed a 2 year contract for work in Riyadh even though my head was saying no my tax free greed got the better of me. Just wanted to say hi and find out what people do socially i.e on compounds or just out in town. Also would be cool if anyone can recomend a football team i can join to play???

Taner

Hey Taner  I feel ya.  I just signed a 5 year contract for the same reason ha ha.  Still have a few months before I move over but still thinking awwwwwwwwwe crap what did I just do ha ha.

:) lets just hope its worth it. Worst case cheap flights to Dubai on monthly basis could be way forward.

Gents

I am sure you will enjoy your time here in KSA. But it does take some getting used to and adjusting to the different culture.

There is plenty of tips on the forum, so search and be happy:-)

Thanks for that im sure well be fine :) and i ve done a bit of research on the site and found that there is a few things to do although there also some negative posts about boredom etc which still make me slightly nervous. Ill be staying on arabian homes compound do you know if thats any good?

Arabian Homes its fine...not the most liviliest but definately not the worst. Stick with it as getting into a compound can be a nightmare situation (long waiting lists). You have done well to secure the compound first. (sign of a good employer...)

hiya...

if you re in a compound then you re pretty much free.  you can bike ride, if you find some breeze fly a kite, swim, barbeque, have dinner at the compound restraunt, visit friends in shorts, rollerskate/blade, walk in the rain, shop at the compounds market which will have extra ordinary items, anything you practically want. Even go trick or treating in halloween :)

Al sounds very family orientated what about social stuff i.e parties , dinners , etc ???

depending on the compound you can arrange that. some compounds have more than 100 villas. So most likely you ll find a group and you do anything you want. YOu can also call friends over. Living in a c ompound is great.

sounds great thanks for the advise lets just hope i make it on to a good compound :)

Hi Cyprus and Ashcroft
Welcome to the blog. The desert will take some getting used to but Im sure you will make good friends,
See ya then

Thanks Sparrow. Will keep you updated on my arrival to the desert maybe we can meet up for coffee some time.

Boy cant be with girl unless they are married - sorry, cant do coffee :(
Rules of the land :(

sorry thought you were a guy not that im gay or anything :)

;) - its ok - fooled a few on here, its my avatar.

not sure what its my avatar means but im assuming its being mysterious ???

Nope, it means my profile picture

fair enough :) thought it would have been deeper than that

Hi Cyprus Trnc :D

Welcome to KSA I just want to say don't worry everything going to be okay I'm Saudi and if you need any help you are welcome to ask me :cool:

In my point of view the first year live in a compound because it will be easier for you to make friends and live your social life and it will make you adjust with living in KSA faster...

That's all for now :rolleyes: