Is the immigration office always so difficult?

I was just wondering if its a common thing for the Icelandic Immigration offices to toy around with people?  Taking them weeks to respond to emails along the process.  Losing Official documents from a complete packet and then requesting new ones, and this time the originals.  Are they going to lose those too?!  How frustrating?  Has anyone had or having similar frustrations?  If so what can I do besides complain and be sour?  Here I thought dealing with US offices and official paperwork and forms was a headache.  Iceland Immigration Office, Congratulations to you for hitting the hothead mark! :mad:

In a word, "yes".  :)

They're pretty famous for it among the other foreigners I know. The last time I was in there, there was only one other customer in the office, and he was already being helped by one of the three employees. Unfortunately, I spent 20 minutes watching the other two occupy themselves, one by digging through her purse and the other with eating an apple, both standing right behind the one person who was actually working.

On the bright side, every other government or other official office I've dealt with has been incredibly helpful and friendly, but Útlendingastofnun is a train wreck. I've never had them go so wrong as to start losing documents, but I've heard of it happening.

some of the woes I've had:

1) when I first applied they were in the process of changing the rules. I submitted all the paperwork according to the rules at the time and then a few weeks later they said they needed me to get a medical checkup in my own country before they could approve me. At much expense (no insurance in USA anymore) and effort I got the paper, only to have them approve my application before they'd even received the supposedly required examination results.

2) I have spent several summers being technically illegal here because I didn't receive my renewed visa in time. I always submitted the papers early but they never sent my approval before the old one expired. Made for some nervous moments during my summer travels as I stood in the passport control lines.

I never had problems with papers goign missing though. One thing I definitely recommend is CALL THEM, don't email. Their phone hours are short but it's harder to avoid you if you're speaking directly.

ECS- what happened in the passport control lines? Did you ever get any trouble for an expired visa in Iceland?

I always brought the receipt from utl and if I was ever asked, I could show that. The passport control at KEF often seems to be quite relaxed- often I'm not even asked what I'm doing in the country, but I guess I don't look like their expectation of someone who'd be sneaking in illegally. Even when I came from the US WITH a valid visa, I don't remember being asked to show it more than maybe one or two times.

in comparison I always feel like I'm going through the third degree when I arrive in the US and am asked to explain where I live, what I'm doing there, why I don't want to live in America, where I'm visiting in the USA and whom I'm visiting, how long I'm staying and so on and so forth.

[Moderated: off-topic, please start a new thread on the forum]

Regarding the customs and passport control in KEF, when I first moved to Iceland, I showed up with my luggage and the letter that was supposed to get me in the country until I could get my actual permit card, and I was paranoid that someone was going to stamp some form wrong and throw me back into bureaucratic hell. So I found someone in a uniform to ask, "Excuse me, I'm just moving to Iceland, and I wanted to make sure I had all the paperwork correct before I get through here and mess something up." Only, I only got as far as "Excuse me, I'm just moving to Iceland..." and he interrupted me to say, "Why in the hell would you want to do that?"  :)

That is golden. I don't know why I was worried. Thanks :)

I'd just like to add that while they seem to be pretty relaxed in general, I still always made sure to have the correct paperwork, since I do know people who got on the wrong side of the immigration office/passport control people. Some got stuck outside Iceland, some had to leave or almost had to leave until they scrambled for a fix. It's not a risk that I'm generally willing to take. You never can be sure, and IMO it's best to err on the side of caution in situations like this.

Yeah I'm just curious because a lot of people have been bringing it up in conversation lately and with those letters in the Grapvine from people who got detained at KEF for no reason, my American paranoid started acting up. When you come from a country where it's normal for police to arrest a person for taking a photo or skateboard or something, you tend to be a little on edge.

Good to know that others can relate on some basis.  Oh well, all in all I have to stop and think that is probably one reason why there is not a population issue in Iceland.

Oh the joy of being strip searched in Keflavik airport on New Years Day by Icelandic over zealous customs officers.
Be careful and add time to your trip when you visit Iceland they may just hold you on their never ending search for narcotics.

Hi Bullet,

Just a suggestion.... don't show up in the immigrations line-up wearing the army fatigues and mask that appear in your avatar, it could make all your worst nightmares turn into realities.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

naomiexplores wrote:

Oh the joy of being strip searched in Keflavik airport on New Years Day by Icelandic over zealous customs officers.
Be careful and add time to your trip when you visit Iceland they may just hold you on their never ending search for narcotics.

it seems the photo wjwoodward commented on has been removed, but your experience does sound rather unusual for travelers to Iceland. I've gone in and out of the country hundreds of times over the past 9 years with no problems, and none of my friends and acquaintances coming through have ever reported such a search. I've had occasional random checks where they sweep electronics for chemicals, but that's happened to me in other airports and never takes more than 2-3 min.

I have been traveling back and forth to Iceland for nearly two years I live here part time and in the US the rest of the time . I have never had any issue so far at Keflavik airport either , as compared to my return trips thru  Seattle it is a pleasure , I speak a little Icelandic and so far I breeze thru the customs each time and they only asked how long I would be staying one time.