Driver Hire v Contract Taxi in Delhi

I am considering how I can travel from Delhi to my place of work in Noida. Ideally I would like to travel by car.

The options as I understand them are:

1, Hire a driver and buy a car

2, Arrange a contract with a taxi company

Hiring a driver will require the purchase of a car, paying for fuel, insurance and maintenance. How much would that typically cost for a small car?

Arranging contract hire with a taxi firm sounds attractive by agreeing a mileage limit per month, but again how much would that typically cost from a South Delhi area?

I am trying to decide which is the best option for me and which companies to approach.

I think the best option is to have a taxi driver. I know some one who can do this job for you.
If you need call me on this number: 9650965761

you can buy a small segment car for 4-6 lacs INR. and a decent driver for around 10-15 thousand INR per month.
there are many taxi services like MERU etc they charge 15 rupees per km.

South Delhi to Noida is around 15-30 kms depending on where exactly you are putting up in South Delhi (its a huge area). Most AC radio cabs charge Rs. 15 per km. So, depending on the distance you can expect to pay around Rs 225-450 one way from S.Delhi to Noida. Both ways that adds up to around Rs.450-900 per day. So, on a monthly basis, for 22 days of travel it can cost you around Rs 10000-20000 per month. Even if you buy a small car, still you will end up paying around Rs 12000-15000 on fuel, driver's salary etc. monthly.

By the way, did you ever consider taking the metro to Noida ?

Thanks a lot Sandeep.
The best option is Metro.
I hope the person will get a new idea now.

^^ You are welcome, mate. But taking the Metro also depends on where you live in South Delhi.

Thank you for the replies so far which is greatly appreciated.

I have thought about the Metro given that it seems very reasnably priced. The over crowding is a concern and have warned about that by Indian colleagues and it can take a while to get to the platform. If the frequency of service increases overcrowding should hopefully ease.

I have used the Metro on a Sunday which was quite crowded into Delhi but ok leaving after 6.30pm. But that is a Sunday.

Luke, have you asked your company about taxis? depending on the size of your company, many offer a home pick up and drop service..although the time may get extended in terms of travel..this is usually the cheapest way..

further more you could try car pooling with colleges at work if possible?

otherwise i think the suggestions given above would suit..

@ Luke

Where exactly are you based in South Delhi and where is your office located in Noida ? If you can access the Metro, I mean if its nearby, then it is still the best mode of transport. It is crowded, since 2 million people are using it on a daily basis, but if you can withstand the crowd, you can do okay.Any way, by the year end most Metro trains on the Noida & Gurgaon route will get six coaches in each train from the current four, so that should ease up the overcrowding issue to some extent.

Other than that, as Bally said, ask your company whether they can provide a cab for pick-up and drop everyday. Most companies in Gurgaon and Noida provide home pick-up and drop services to their employees staying at far off places from the workplace location.

I have stayed in Noida for 2 years, now based in Gurgaon with my parents, but still working in Noida for the past 3 years.Although, I will switch to Gurgaon soon.

I am currently staying in Mayur Vihar in a company guest house but am looking for places to live. South Delhi seems the best option, but need to resolve issue of transport. I work in Sector 2.

Company will help negotiate a contract hire for a taxi. At present I get a lift using company drivers, dont think it will extend to me moving out of the guest house.

Car sharing would be a good option. I dont know if anyone would share. There are a few expats but none of them are staying for the period I am. Well not at the moment.

Hi Luke,

Well, if you are planning to move to South Delhi, then I suggest that it will be better if you look for a place to stay some where along the Ring Road areas like New Friends colony, South Extension, Green Park etc. They have a direct connectivity to Noida through the DND expressway and South Extension is also close to the AIIMS metro station. Green Park has metro station by the same name.

It always comes in handy that you stay somewhere near to Metro stations, so that if you can't find any other means of transport or if the traffic bogs you down, you can take the Metro to Noida.

By the way, traffic on the DND expressway will always be heavy during morning and evening peak hours. There's nothing no one can do about it, since traffic situation in Delhi is really bad.

I think you must go with a taxi service because if you choose ow car you will pay lots of money on fuel, maintenance, insurance and even others charges & you also get tired after drive.
So just hire a taxi & get chill.
To get a taxi deal just dial 01148000000

Hello riyawheelz.

To note that this thread is dated 2011. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie