In need of an advice:)

I'm new at this forum so hello to everyone first:) My name is Neya and I need some help... My boyfriend is Thai and has been studying, living and working most of his life in Europe. But now he kinda got tired of it and wants to go home...AND he wants me to come with him. He basically has a job offered and found one for me as well, and we also found a good university for me to study. SO...my questions goes to all of you who are lining in Thailand, especially Bangkok...I have a very difficult time deciding what is the best thing to do...to go or to stay? I love new, exciting things but I am afraid how will I deal with the culture difference and everything that comes with it...I guess I'm just afraid I will be miserable once I get there and realize I made a HUGE mistake...So...any advice what helped you decide?
Thank you for all your help:) I appreciate it:)

If you have never gone out of Europe before, the cultural impact its big.

Specialy when you have in your mind that you going to be here living with no friends and without knowing the language, the very random stuff that happens in thai society, and the incapability to be able to communicate effectively that shortens your - let's say - "leash".

This "panic" will last - or it did for me anyway- about a week when you realize that it is actually sometimes a country much better than any in europe, and you also somehow are not letting yourself open to your new surroundings.
I have not regret coming here to live, it was one of the best decisions that I have ever done.

But I would recommend, instead of cutting all back where you live. Come here for a short term vacation and check it out. Find the pros and the cons, and if you like it or not, and then decide whether you would like to come to live here or not.

( btw, i dont recommend that if you come here for a visit you stay in the house of his family -  stay at a hotel where you can actually understand the people and no need for translation 24/7 which is a quite frustrating)

Dear, believe you...you will be much happier with him in Thailand, and since you will be locals, your point of view will be different than any 'TOURIST' although bangkok is not my favorite, as I hate the city life in general, but if you wanna compare city lives around the work, bangkok is one of the best, its active, its amazing, and Thai's are just god send.... you'll at least be dealing with pure genuine people, who respect their culture very much, so you dont need to worry about culture shocks....coz thai culture really rocks hehehe....

one of the most big advantages in thailand is the different styles of living and nature....u want mountains and chilled out laid back nice boutique life, you head north to Chiang Mai, you want beach, party and having a lot of crazy fun, head east to the beach, you want serenity and spirituality then head south....

I mean there is something for everyone here in thailand, and the easy access to all makes it even worth it...

I have worked in tourism for almost 15 years, I traveled the world, and lived almost everywhere.... to me Chiang Mai  is literally 'Heaven on Earth', and Bangkok is close to that heaven... ;-)

I hope my information helped you a lot.

for more details check...

activeminority.com

LuisF and Hugh_Asia thank you for your comments they were very helpful:) As far as Thailand goes, I've been there before for a month...but just look at it as this amazing place, with amazing culture, food... but never looked at is as a place to live. I guess at the end of the day it's just fear that makes this decision hard. Well anyhow, thank you again, I appreciate any experiences or views you share:)

Hi Neya
I have lived in Thailand for 7 years now - and yes i remember the first time i set foot here from Europe - It was a definite WOW!
This place is just so .....

Louis and Hugh touched down on some great pointers - and whilst everyone is different and will do different things while they are here. Some will stay for years whilst others will stay a year or two.

When i was in the same dilema as you - deciding on whether i should make the big move or not... The best advice a friend gave me was...

Don't think about it - just do it...
The rest of the story will work itself out
And if you don't like it - then change the chapter.
Nothing is ever permanent ;)

All the best
and see you soon