Where on the Pacific coast is the best to live?

Hi all, My husband and I are thinking of choosing Panama as our retirement home. We are excited about this and look foreword to visiting possibly in December to check it out. I like Pedasi but don't know much about it. Can anyone out there help? Also, how about retirement communities? Which are best and how do I check them out on the net? Talk to me :) What do you like and dislike about living in Panama.

Thank you,
Georgia
Living in Alaska

My husband and I have just bought 3 hilltop oceanview acres 20 miles past Pedasi. It overlooks Isla Canas. We looked for 4 years, traveling extensively in Switzerland, France, Italy and Costa Rica. We spent a total of 8 weeks looking in Costa Rica, 4 trips, and were getting discouraged by the prices and the greedy real estate people we met.
We knew exactly what we wanted and found it on our first trip to the Azuero Peninsula. I initially thought that I would not like Panama because of the deforestation, being somewhat of a tree lover. I was not interested in dry tropical forest where the land turns brown for several months a year.
Now, all that has changed.
Panama has a lot going for it.
Low crime, the dollar, great roads, friendly people who have not learned to dislike gringos, and a Tuscany like countryside with incredible views of the Pacific Ocean and the Tonosi Valley, the Cerro Hoya mountains in the distance. We are thrilled. We bought 3 times as much land for half the price that we almost paid in Dominical Costa Rica.
We were fortunate to meet ethical real estate agents who helped us to buy our Panama phone, open a bank account and a myriad of other things.You can locate them at Panama Pacific Land and Porperty
The young man who is developing the property where we bought planted 5,000 trees before he even cut a road. We took a chance and were the first to buy in his new community. Three months later he has just sold property to another retiree couple. We believe that this area between Pedasi and Tonosi has great potential and it is virtually undiscovered. Google "Ojo de Agua Charlie" if you want to look at the area.
Raw land is even less expensive if you want a large tract and are willing to do the roads, water and electricity youself.
We also adore El Valle where it is much cooler. But the breezes off the Pacific are lovely and it is gorgeous even in dry season.
Hope this helps.
Laurie
Safety Harbor, FL
PS. I have 2 kinds of monkeys in my rainforest!

hi guys,
I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY AREA, CHIRIQUI, CLOSE TO BOQUETE, THE FAMOUS AREA WHERE ALLE THE EXPATRIATES ARE COMING.I THINK YOU NEED TO DECIDE BETWEEN HOT OR COLD.
IN CHIRIQUI THERE IS AN AREA CALLED BARQUETA, WITH USA COMMUNITY, 30 MINUTES FROM CITY, A NICE FURNISHED CONDO CAN BE 300K.
A HOUSE IN VOLCAN 100.000 TO 200.000
BOQUETE 250 UP

IF
YOU NEED ANY REFERRALS LET ME KNOW,

I would like to introduce you to our blog about Panama,

http://realestatepanamagreen.blogspot.c … anama.html

Panama has long been the prime choice for retirees, second-home buyers, and property investors alike. Today you can still find apartments in sought-after areas of Panama City for $80,000 and live well on $1,200 per month.
Panama was the winner for six years in a row of International Living magazine's Annual Global Retirement Index. Modern Maturity, Conde Nast Traveler, AARP Magazine and MSN.com all praised Panama as the best place to retire. The New York Times recently compared Boquete, Panama to California's famed Napa Valley.
British researchers have released a survey called the “Happy Planet Index”. Designed to measure life satisfaction, life expectancy and ecological footprint, Panama ranked fifth in the world. (For comparison, the U.S. came in at #150, and the U.K. at #108!)

Alexander Castrellón

[moderated: no free ads]

Georgia,
If I were you I would look in the proximty of 2 hours from Panama City where you can have access to all the culture, first rate health care and many other things that are offered. There are plenty of wonderful gated communities some of which are in Chame, Gorgona, Coronado and Vista Mar. These are on the Pacific beaches. If you like the cooler mountains try el Valle or Altos de Maria.
We bought in a gated golf course community in Boquete. We only live there part time. We do love it but it is far away from Panama City and many of our friends. It really depends on you personal goals, lifestyle, age and health concerns.
Feel free to ask questions or for local referrals
Michelle

Hello again! Well after touring Panama we chose Boquete`!! It was surprising after having our hearts set on the ocean's front!! The climate in Boquete` was perfect and we especially liked the living indoor/outdoor part. I am a gardener too and will love growing coffee there. We almost bought the lot next to youin Las Canas though!!! It was so beautiful but there the need for AC is a must and in the end it was Boquete` :) We are selling everything, the house vehicles etc and working toward being there this May. Beings that it is currently -20 here in Alaska and way too early you can only imagine that I cannot wait to finally get there. If anyone there knows of a very nice home, for sale by owner let me know. We do have a good realtor but are going to look around at the for sale by owner homes there too. We had made an offer on a home there but in the end the owner wanted 1/2 down, in 30 days and we just couldn't swing it. So, we plan to move to Boquete` and just rent first while we search for our home. We live the Volcancito area best. Any tips?

G from Alaska

Can anyone give me info on the Santiago, Penonome, El Valle , and Pacific Coast area to relocate? Thanks in advance [email protected]

Georgia,
Panama will undoubtedly be a change from the Alaska climate you are used to, but you will love it just as much as other expats that have now relocated here. As in other posts, Panama provides alot with relatively safe atmosphere, inexpensive living, Democratically elected government, great medical facilities (medical tourism is not getting big here) and of course the relaxing pace of life are all advantages of being here.
Pedasi is a good place for planned communities on the Azuero Peninsula. The area is developed and options are there to please.
On the western Azuero Peninsula, we have mountains, dramatic coastlines, great beaches, lots of fresh water for your house and most of all, a great growing community of expats and locals alike.
(moderated: no ads)
Also, we would welcome any questions even if it is about another region.

Best in your search

Hi Georgia
I'm managing a gated beachfront community in Pedasi...it's really great, we're selling well and have 5 beautiful homes so far almost finished with at least 6 more starting this year...many construction pics on our website. We are on Playa la Garita next to a nature reserve with a 2 mile stretch of unspoilt beach just 3 km's from the charming village of Pedasi.
Cheers!

Lively Lady wrote:

Georgia,
If you like the cooler mountains try el Valle or Altos de Maria.

I could find El Valle, but not Altos de Maria on google maps (it only showed a place in Panama City). How far is AdM from Gorgona? Would it make sense to live there if your kids will have to go to school in Gorgona?