Censorship and shipping stuff into Egypt

Hi there

We are moving to Cairo over the summer - two starter questions:

1.We have been told by the logistics people in my organisation that we need to provide a list of all CDs, DVDs and Books (name, author and ISBN) and that there is a sort of unofficial banned list of stuff.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? Did you have stuff confiscated by the censor, if so what was it?

2.We are going to need a kennel for our two dogs when we arrive until we get settled into a flat. Does anyone have any recommendation?

Thanks

Definetely , you need to list everything in detail ; and I recomend to use best movers and insure all your belongings (better to say is more expensive than usual) ; because Egypt customs are one of the most corrupt ones in the world , and will check everything you will bring , even if is sealed or packed , take out from boxes and puth them in in a completely disorginized way , breaking delicate stuffs and "confiscating" stuffs (I call it stealing and destroying your belongings
And then they say they did not do such a thing and felt insulted (can you believe that ?? ....wellcome to Egypt!!!)
Better solution....?? don't bring anything to here , just you and your clothes

I had over 610 pounds of books shipped along with some personal effects.  The shipping company I hired individually wrapped each one of the books (approximately 300) in tissue paper.  I was lucky that the guys at customs could not be bothered unwrapping each and every one.  My stuff had been shipped air freight and there were some things broken, but this was due to improper packing.  My packing slip was not detailed at all (as far as listing titles of books) and this did not seem to cause a problem at all either.  I think it depends on the shipping company you use and the receiving agent.  My packing slip just said "Household items and personal effects".  They estimated the customs fee and it was far less than I had expected to pay.  If you have under 500 pounds worth of stuff to ship, you are better off sending it by air freight as opposed to sea freight.  Things clear up customs much faster at the airport than at the ports in Alexandria.

I moved my dog over also, but have not used any kennel services yet.  But if you contact this organization :  esaf.info/  they can give you the name of some boarding kennels.  There are plenty in Cairo and 6th of October area.  Let me know if you need the name of a vet (I know a good one in Maadi).  Also if you will live in Maadi I know of a great pet store for dog food that delivers.