New Comer

Hi,

We are in Sydney and looking forward to move to Kuwait. More curious and bit anxious to explore entirely new place. We are coming as a family with 1 toddler so trying our best to  be organized enough to avoid any inconvenience. We would be grateful if anybody give us feedback on the things i am mentioning below.

* My son is 4 year old so we need to get a school first. How hard it is to get admission in standard school?
* Is Getting accommodation a big thing or its pretty straight forward? Which suburbs are considered to be nice for family life? (e.g park-shopping and public interest places close by)
* How reliable the public/private transport until we don't get our own?
* How reliable Multinational employers are? Heard of Arab arrogance and hierarchy, which can challenge our stability there.
* Fruits-Veg are more of imported there so is there bit of crises for fresh fruits-veges?
How much all the white goods(freeze, tv, microvave, washing machine, grinders & all possible stuff for family life) and home accessories (Furniture and home decor)  will cost us if we choose unfurnished accommodation?
I would be thankful for your guidance and help.
Rgds

Hi Gajjars and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will give you some tips soon.

You should take a look at our participative life guide in Kuwait, it may contain interesting articles.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

see the school sticky on the forum,its not hard here to get an admission,things are easy in Kuwait.

yeah you generally get the parking spot if you are taking a good apartment.

in Kuwait its easy to get license if you just fill in the requirements - should be 18+ ,earning above 400 KD or a university student (which i think is not applicable for you) and know to drive which most of the people know here ,i use public bus transport.as concern with the transport is good,Citybus has good buses.but the people in the buses are usually the ones not completing the requirements for licence. you see the problem here is the driving licence here is not tough to get as it might be in Australia.the problem is if the people see a westerner or s white person the they walk closer invading the personal space.some on seeing start to yell at their friends tend to grab your attention and few more such kind of habits people have ,this is wat i usually noticed.and  the taxi guy will see a white person or a foreigner and charge the double what they do to the normally to others.

imported food an veges are fresh at many people,as they are done on a daily basis,its not a problem to get fresh here.

white ware are found in many places here.from the cheapest to the most expensive.the thing is the cheaper ones are unknown manufacturer useless buying them,if you can tell me the specific white ware you would like to buy first i would estimate the price for you. accessories for family life are many.

if  you want to sk an thig else feel free

Dear Gajjars,

So many questions, but very important for a transition into Kuwait.

Here is my contribution:

1.  As with all schools there are good and bad.  If you are an Australian citizen ask your Embassy, but generally make appointment and see for yourself when you get here.  Ramadan is nearly upon us so not much will be happening for August.
2.  Accommodation:  whatever you want it is here.  Salmiya is very popular, but if you are to work for KNPC or KOC then further South is more ideal.  Everywhere is close to a beach.
3.  It is Taxi heaven here (24/7).  The prices are very reasonable and all taxis are metered.  Bus are also good.  No metro system - that is coming.
4.  Your employer, whether he is an Arab, Westerners or whatever will abide by the local Labour Laws.  They are fair to expatriates like us.
5.  Shopping is paradise here.  Food, clothing, furniture etc., is plentiful and reasonable in price.

If you or your wife is British, she can join the BLS.  British Ladies Society.  A great and friendly organisation.

Enjoy your stay.

Paul and Collette.

forgot to let you know that drinking  is prohibited in this country.if you are coming in the month of august,be aware of the Islamic month of Ramadan. Muslims fast in this month so from dawn to dusk most of the restaurants will be closed.if found eating or drinking in public during the fasting hours,will face arrest and charges.Just be aware of it so as to not get in to unnecessary trouble.

Hey Harmonie,ace117, Paul&collette

We are glad for your responses and Thankful for same. Your reply has made things more transparent to us and feeling been informed an adware of  the place. It always sound more authentic when we heard from locally experienced. Its more than sufficient for now  and will get back if needs more to know.

Thanks with warm regards
Gajjars