Guidance notes for bringing dogs/cats from the UK into Mauritius

Hi everyone - well only 2 weeks to go and myself and 3 dogs will be joining my husband in Mauritius from the UK.

I hope I am not breaking any law etc by doing this but I have scanned all the guidance notes & import forms that I have received from Mauritius and DEFRA in the UK.

I know it is very difficult to get hold of these notes due to the sheer amount of workload the Veterinary Dept has to do so maybe this will take a little load off their shoulders.

If anyone would like copies of these notes please Private message me with your email address and I will forward them on.

My vet has been absolutely great working out relevant dates etc and I am using a UK based Pet Shipping Company to also make it easier, so that everything is done correctly.

Kind regards

Hi there - how did the journey go?  I too am moving to Mauritius and will be bringing our border collie with us. Callie is with us in the UK from Canada originally. 

Who did you use to fly the dogs over?  Would you recommend them? 

Have you found a good vet in MRU?  Decent dog food? Groomers? 

Hundreds of questions!!!

Hope you may be able to contact m, I'm at [email protected].

Kindest regards
Lana

Hi Lana,

Have you read in the forum under Pets - Julian's question about the formalities for bringing your pets into Mauritius? I have posted a very full and comprehensive answer to this - outlining everything that you need to do coming from the UK.
I think this will answer all your questions and more :)

Have a read through it and anything else you want to ask please do.

Dog food: Not as easy to get the brands that you get in the UK, but my dogs now eat Pedigree Chum - chicken - only one that suits them here and Royal Canine dried food.

Vets: There are many excellent vets here in Mau, We live in Tamarin on the West Coast and although I have not yet used him have heard that vet Eric Bestel is very good and lives locally to us.

Groomers: I have had my dogs shaved because of the heat and its getting hotter as summer is almost here. They are now much happier. One of the ladies on this site was a Dog Groomer in the UK and she kindly came to my house to cut mine. So I suppose you could contact her and see if she is willing to do your dog maybe.                                                               

There is also a very good groomer in Bambous. I am  sure there are many more around the Island but that's all I know.

Hope this has answered your questions anything else please ask, if I don't know the answer plenty of people here on this site will :)

I have sent you the forms required for import etc