Taking Students

Does anybody here take students?

What are the pros and cons, is Attard a good area, etc etc?

All the usual questions but would love to here from those that are doing it.

Thanks
x

Hello lucyanya!

Could you be more explicit please?

Taking students for what?

Thanks for bringing precisions.

Harmonie.

My apologies Harmonie,

I am aware that there are many host families in Malta that provide accomodation for limited times to language students coming to study English in Malta.

I was curious about it and wondered if anybody on the forum had had experience being a host family.

Thanks
Jules
x

Hi Jules,

nobody seems to be replying to your post.

Are you looking for information on the actual procedure (certificates and regulations) or are you looking for some personal opinions and experiences?

I know a few Maltese who take in foreign students. I can ask them about their experiences.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thats it exactly, its more personal experience I am looking for feedback on.

If any of your friends could help with some thoughts that would be great.

Many thanks

Jules
xx

Ok!

Give me a day or two to get some info.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Jules,

I got a first opinion- from the 'con' side.

They are a Maltese couple and had hosted students for 10 years until last year. At the beginning it was ok and the 5 LM the school pays per kid and day worked out. You sign up with a school and can take a maximum of 4 students.

But the school was still paying the same 5 LM last years and it didn't work out moneywise anymore. The costs were much higher. The schools charge the students around 20 €/day and pass on about 12 € to the host family.

The students have become very badly behaved and the school passes the responsibility on to the host family including disciplinary action when they don't get back until in the early hours. Many had drinking and drug problems and were causing damage to the house,leaving lights on all the time and generally being a hassle.

You have to supply the necessary meals on the tight budget including electricity and heating in the winter months.

They were also not sure if non-Maltese families qualify to host students as the students are supposed to get to see Maltese family life and culture during their stay. So you should look into that.

I'll try and get a second opinion from someone I know who is still hosting students.

Cheers
Ricky