Hi looking for some comments about Jeddah

Hi all.

Well, this is my first post on the site so Hello  :)

I am currently living in england and find out in 2 weeks if I have been accepted for a new job, working and living in Jeddah.

I dont know much about the place, only what Google tells me.
I would welcome any comments you have about the place and also the compounds.
I have hear talk of the compounds - how big are the, how many houses, how many people etc ?

My wife is obviously slightly concerned as this is a huge change for us and our kids.
I have 2 son's - aged 9 and 13 - is this a good place for them to grow up and also to be educated to a good level ?

Please feel free to write anything you think will give me a good sense of what to expect...

Thanks in advance

Hi Geordie77

My husband will be in Jeddah on Monday and I will follow as soon as the family visa can be sorted.
Still trying to find a compound for us, but my husbands company will help with that. We are looking at Arabian Homes, because it is right next to the American school. We have a 7 year old son ( he will be 8 when we move )
Compound is the best place for a expat...your wife will be able to wear her normal clothes and not the abaya ( inside the compound)
I myself are a bit nervous about the move (it is surely a big one) but we are going into it by being positive. I am sure the kids will be fine, they can adjust to new things so much faster than the adults.
I am a housewife and do not have a drivers license ( personal choice) so I do not think living there is going to affect me so much.
It is a new chapter for us and we are looking forward to it. Find the Saudi way of doing things a bit slow...for example, my hubby is leaving in 6 days and has spoken to his new company a few times about everything he needs before he leaves South Africa and they just said for the medical he needs to go for a HIV/Aids test and a Hep C.....today we found out he needs a very extensive medical..Stool sample included....goodness, he is not a happy chappy...and there is only 3 working days left.

The education system there is wonderful (or so I believe ) and I am looking forward to my son growing up without all the violence we have in our country.

Best of luck, hope you receive good news in 2 weeks.
Please feel free to ask if you need any help...I am not in Jeddah yet, but once hubby is there I can pass info on to you from his side,

Hi Geordie 77,
So where in NE are you from, I am from South Shields... long ago.

My family are moving to Jeddah at the end of August, so where is work going to be?

Recently returned from Jeddah, please feel free to ask away!

tc.

Roy.

Tazz....
I am from Newcastle but now live near Ryton in Gateshead.

Will let you know the details of the Job once I get confirmation its happening.

I just wanted to get a general view of the place and how big the compounds are. Dont want to feel like its living in a prison if you know what I mean ?
Its important that my kids get a good standard of education and that they can meet new kids etc too, any info you could give me would be great

Yolande.....
Thanks for your info, when I get the go ahead I will let you know and let you know what area/compound we have been offered
thanks

if you live in a nice big compound and send the kids to SAIS-J or now known AIS-J you guys should be happy and feel no different than home..

Hi Geordie,

I'm Abdullah and I'll be so happy to tell you any thing you need about Jeddah and you are welcome :)

Geordie77 wrote:

Tazz....
I am from Newcastle but now live near Ryton in Gateshead.

Will let you know the details of the Job once I get confirmation its happening.

I just wanted to get a general view of the place and how big the compounds are. Dont want to feel like its living in a prison if you know what I mean ?
Its important that my kids get a good standard of education and that they can meet new kids etc too, any info you could give me would be great

So..... did you get the job then Geordie???????

[Moderated: please post in Jeddah classifieds]

Still waiting !
i will let you know as soon as I find out....fingers crossed...