Cost of living in Shanghai China?? 6000 RBM more than enough??

Hi, Im looking forward in moving in shanghai china for work? i would like to know the cost of living in shanghai, i live in simplicity. ..

6000 to 6500 RBM/ month ?? is it enough??

Thanks a lot! :)

Theresa

Hi and welcome on board Theresa!

Your message was moved to the Shanghai forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

if you live in simplicity. it is enough.
but if you wanna hang out with friends a lot, such as to the pub or something,it maybe short

hope you have a good time in Shanghai

Depends indeed on your spending pattern: if you hit the clubs every weekend, take taxis instead of the subway, eat out everyday, buy fancy clothes etc...it's far from being enough.

It's a city where you can easily spend tens of thousands of RMB. Let's say 6000 RMB is enough to cover your basics. If housing or other expenses are covered by your employer, i'd say it's feasible. If not, it's still feasible but you have to watch your spending pattern. Keep in mind that the average salary of local chinese is around 3000 to 4000 RMB / month. Some of my Chinese friends make such a salary and they have an 'ok' life.

I read your from Philippines, I think you could still get a little more try to ask for more from your work...

6000 is enough but its not a big salary in SH, if your job gives an apartment is getting towards being an ok salary...if not its quite low, to move to another country living in Shanghai and only get 6000 I would not accept it.

if you worked in a small/middle sized city and got paid 4000/5000 with free apartment I think you could save more money than living in Shanghai with 6000/7000 with no apartment.

an example - When I worked in Jiangsu a Filipino there got 5000+free apartment.

Yes, 6K is enough in downtown in Shanghai. Items in downtown are more expensive than ones in suburbs.

Thank you so much for all the infos..
It really helps me a lot..

I live in simplicity coz my primary goal is to earn and i have friends to share an apartment if ever.. :)

Thanks you all

Godbless!

Theresa

In my opinion, 6k can be quite tight, particularly if you have to pay for the rent. Sharing an apartment with a roommate may be the way to go.

All my friends  with similar income feel the same, no money left at the end of the month!

6000 rmb is a huge rip off. I personally wouldn't take it.

2500: for a apartment
1500: for food
300: for transportation
1500: for fun
200: for other fees

Thats a simple and relatively comfortable life.

Some fool has offered me 25,000 per month.
What sort of lifestyle could I have?
No beer and very little hanging out but one wife (considering a few more) and one kid (5 years old) to get to an international, English speaking school.

That depends on the lifestyle you have. International school is expensive and also if the 25k covers rental, tax etc.

6,000 for Shanghai....unless you have many roomates, it won't be enough.

I have a job offer of 17000RBM a month, okei na ba to?

Fred wrote:

Some fool has offered me 25,000 per month.
What sort of lifestyle could I have?
No beer and very little hanging out but one wife (considering a few more) and one kid (5 years old) to get to an international, English speaking school.

My curent apt now around 30,000/monthly, 2BR,145sqm in jinqiao area, but Brand new. Living expense Still cheaper if compared To singapore. Not a 5stars restaurant, but just decent Place, easily cost U aRound RMB 250/two persons. Well.. 5000-10000/monthly only for food. Concordia school next door around 200.000/annually/preschool (that's for pre school!!). So 25.000/monthly with 2 little monster... Please Fred! That's Suicide!!! Lol!!

Hello Bella_Shu,

Please note that this thread has not really been active since the year 2013.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

I can't imagine living on 6000 RMB a month in Shanghai.
A small apartment is going to run you about 3500 (and that's pushing it). Even renting a room isn't much cheaper. I suppose you could do it, but you will be living on noodles, walking, taking the subway or bus and having nothing left over for extras...