Health risks of living in Aktau

Hello,

with more oil companies moving to Aktau I wonder if there is any information available on health risks of living there: seemingly a lake contaminated with pollutants and radioactive materials, an open pit uranium mine and lots of radioactive scrap metal laying around. At least that's the impression I get when searching on the net.

What are you supposed to do when it's windy: Close the windows and don't go outside? Do you have to avoid certain areas alltogether?

Is there any information available at all? I have the feeling companies post positions with amazing benefits, but don't say anything about health risks.

Hi and welcome on board soss!

I hope other members will tell you more about it soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Armand wrote:

Hi and welcome on board soss!

I hope other members will tell you more about it soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Thanks a lot Armand.

Lets see if someone knows something.

Ive been offered a position in aktau.
My conclusions are:
- in the city there is no radiation
- should there be southwards wind, the lake holding the uranium ore, which is currently half dry, it will carry the exposed pollutants to town..
- the water table is polluted with arsenic and other by products of  uranium mining up to 5 km around the lake (town within reach). Most likely the Caspian area around is also polluted, but in constant flux
- storage of uranium in the decommissioned station should be safe but not sure
- you're not allowed in kazakstan with geiger counters (that is, they have something to hide.. otherwise why have such a ridiculous law?)
- There is no early alarm or monitoring systems for radiation in Aktau. If something happens, you find out too late...
- government is an obstacle to setting this up (oil companies have been trying)
We decided not to go.

[Moderated]