Toe in the water so to speak...

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the expat forum/blog and am hoping to connect with ex-pats and locals currently in Santiago.

I've long been drawn to Chile, Santiago in particular. Who knows why, it's just one of those karmic attractions I suppose.

I've planned a trip down in the New Year with friends and figure this will give me an impression of the culture and allure of the city. My friends are Chilean and have lived in Santiago for many years so I'm very lucky to have their support and hospitality.

In the back of my head, I'm pondering what it would take to relocate? What's the employment market like for someone who isn't fluent in Spanish? And most importantly, is the culture as warm and balanced as I think it is?

I've lived in Toronto all my life and although I enjoy our multiculturalism, I do find North America in general really draining. So much effort and focus goes in to work, ambition and material success. Thus my suspicion I belong in a place/culture that practices a better balance between work, play, culture, arts, physical pursuits and personal pleasure etc.

So now that I've rambled on here, if anyone has any personal comments or suggestions they care to share, I would really enjoy reading about your life in Santiago.

Be well and please excuse my clumsiness if I've posted the above in the wrong place!

Cheers,

K

Enjoyed your thoughts about leaving North America! I share them and am planning a trip in December if all goes well.

I will let you know what I find...hope you do the same...Bill in Montana, USA

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Katyusha :)

I moved your message to the Santiago forum for better visibility ;)
Hope you will obtain some advices soon!

Regards
Armand

Thank you Armand, Billinmontana.

Appreciate your warm replies.

I'll be sure to share my experiences and developments. The more I read, the more I want to go.

Be well gents.

K

Hello Katyusha.. i'm from Chile, and.. wow.. this is the first time that i read that someone want to go to Qatar... sound like an great adventure... the arabian people have a special way to live... they have many problems in Europe... but you know.. is their way to live... i would like to know Qatar too... ey Katyusha be careful with the burkas jejje

ricardopadro wrote:

Hello Katyusha.. i'm from Chile, and.. wow.. this is the first time that i read that someone want to go to Qatar... sound like an great adventure... the arabian people have a special way to live... they have many problems in Europe... but you know.. is their way to live... i would like to know Qatar too... ey Katyusha be careful with the burkas jejje

hi ricardo!
sorry its taken me so long to reply...i haven't checked this form for a while.
i'm very keen to see more of the middle east in general. i'm drawn to that part of the world...almost like a reincarnated sense i suppose...sometimes places and people just speak to us..and chile is still one of those places.
i've put my trip there on hold for now. i've been offered a business opportunity but to be honest, i just don't feel its the right time. and timing to me, is near everything.

hope you continue to enjoy your travels around the globe. its a wonderful place!

cheers,
k