Ramadan 101 for Expats newly arrived to Kuwait

This is a post specifically for anyone newly arrived or anyone expected to arrive within the coming month of August, which happens to coincide with the 9th month of the Islamic Hijri calendar, Ramadan, the month of fasting for Muslims.

A little background info on Ramadan:

It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which participating Muslims refrain from eating and drinking and is intended to teach Muslims about patience, humility, and spirituality. Muslims fast for the sake of God and offer more prayer than usual. Muslims view Ramadan as an auspicious month for the revelations of God to humankind, being the month in which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Those of you who are part of the working class will have already received your "timings during Ramadan" email at work, or will have seen the notice put up.

During Ramadan, working hours are cut short in an effort to aid Muslims in their fasting (points to those who are not fasting and enjoy shorter working days). Mosques are jam packed with worshippers.

Some consider it ill-mannered to eat/drink infront of someone who is fasting, not me personally, I do not see how it affects me fasting if someone is eating. However, the law of the land has taken that into consideration, and it is formally against the law for anyone to eat in public during fasting hours, which are from dawn till dusk, i.e. roughly 7pm-ish, at the Maghrib call to prayer, or the 4th call to prayer of the day (Fajr, Duhr, Asr, Maghrib, Esha). When I say against the law, I mean if you are drinking water on the street or even eating in your car and someone spots you and reports you, you may find yourself facing a 100KD fine and a 30-day jail term (the latter may be suspended, or may be just to scare people, but the former is enforced).

This also means that your office boys will stop serving tea/ coffee, in some places.

Restaurants and coffee shops will be closed until dusk, and once opened, there will be a barrage of hungry diners awaiting service; hence it is prudent to book in advance if you so wish to enjoy eating outside. Supermarkets will be open as usual, however are most likely to be jam packed in the hours after work and before the call to break fast (3pm and 7pm, anytime in between may be better).

In any event, Ramadan is an auspicious time of year, very enlightening for those wishing to learn more of the Islamic culture. Hopefully you will get invited to break fasts by your colleagues and co-workers, maybe even your department or company.

Some will use their fasting as an excuse to slack off of work or demand less work etc. completely disregarding the true purpose of Ramadan. In every group there are similar minded slackers, pay them no attention. Fasting is not meant to deter one from their work.

So, be cautious of the "no eating in public" rule, as well as in your car, when you are in the comforts of your own house, feel free to gorge as you see fit.

In any case, I see Ramadan as a good way to meet new people, and hopefully, maybe, organise a luncheon for all, at some restaurant or other, to be discussed further (hopefully here), but as mentioned above, confirmed attendances must be reached, as exact parties have to be informed to the restaurant prior.

So, I wish you all a good day.

NB to those like me who are addicts to coffee, the first day of fasting is a day of migraines, hence, it is prudent to cut caffeine in the form of coffee now from your diet, where you have the ability to use water for the migraines, green tea will not hurt either. Steer clear of the dreaded java for these last few days leading to Ramadan :P

Excellent Legacy......this is great info.!!! I had no idea as a non-muslim I won't be allowed/fined if I  eat/drink during day time in public!

This is really good to know, thanks for 101 :P

Please keep sending more useful info. like this.

Cheers
C

:D

will do ;)

JiC anyone thinks im BS-ing about the penalty:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/NewsDeta … fault.aspx

KUWAIT CITY, Aug 7, (KUNA): The Interior Ministry Saturday warned citizens and expatriates against eating or drinking in public during the fasting month of Ramadhan, due to commence in few days, because “it will be illegal and contradict Islamic teachings.”
Ministry spokesman Brigadier Mohammad Al-Sabr said any person seen eating or drinking publicly would be fined KD 100 ($347) and jailed for a maximum of one month or one of these penalties. Al-Sabr also called on shops and restaurants to abide by the law or face closure.

thats y i love middle esat

isn't it true for young children and for traveling you are allowed to break your fast?

Thanks for the great run down on Ramadan.

I would also like to know if shopping hours change during Ramadan. For example, will the malls be open during the same hours?

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on this.

In peace....

@Kona808 yes, children are omitted from this law, those travelling are also given an exception whilst fasting, provided they make up for those days at a later date.

@Susan F. for some reason i forget a year after about Ramadan timings, maybe anyone reading this and working for al-shaya can shed some light on the situation :)

altho, given that everyone else will be working less hours, i believe the same applies to the service sector. i think that the shops (asides from restaurants) will be quiet from about 6~7:30 or 8 (timing of breaking of fast).

is it true that there's a lot of sales during this month too or is that a rumor? thank you in reply guys and gals..

its not specifically during this month, there are sales almost all the time in Kuwait. best time to buy would be February, but Ramadan, not sure.

a little addition for those wishing to know more of the meals during Ramadan:

There are 3 different types of meals during Ramadan, the breaking of fast, the "ghabka" and the Suhour. Suhour is the last meal meant to sustain through the next day of fasting, Ghabka is a meal inbetween Iftar and Suhour. An invitation to any will see a 3 course meal, plenty of sweets and sugary drinks.

it is a great time for sharqi sweets, those delicacies sold in all sweet shops, be prepared to see Konafa prices soar dramatically, and remain so after Ramadan!

Qatayef are also exquisite, and mostly only available during Ramadan, crescent shaped "thingies" stuffed with nuts or cheese or cream.

Maybe any culinary experts can shed more light on the situation? :P

exemptions from fast was made since travelling in the old ages was not easy .they had to cross mountains ,deserts ,caves and many more situations that a normal human cannot do properly while staying fast.they didn't have air conditioned planes ,cars , or trains.today most of them do fast while travelling because most of the travelling is just sitting in a vehicle.the first day is found tougher,but it goes well after that.it is mad o make us experience the hunger of the poor.

immature children are exempted but if they reach their maturity,then it becomes obligatory.the premature children can fast if they are so much willing to fast seeing the adults.(you must have noticed some kids don't like to eat,and they prefer to fast.)

As for shopping hours i would say most of he shops will be open after9:30 or 10 am, and remain open.this does not include restaurants or any food stuff selling shop.but they will be open after the after noon prayer,they remain open but the shop keepers may go for braking their fast for an hour (this will include Iftar and ghabk ) having or so and after that they will be open till 2 am, restaurants remain open till the Suhour time.

there are sales because the shops and the retails and other selling businesses tend to provide many offers in this month.since this month is a month of doing good deeds as they are rewarded more in this month.this is month for forgiveness and seeking forgiveness and mercy. that y you might notice Muslim people giving more charity ,helping more and worshiping more as all these have greater vale than in other days of the year. its a great feeling.

its sad that some people find reasons not to fast, and their reasons are also lame.

Great post, thanks Legacy! Ramadan Kareem (Happy Ramadan)! :)