Learning Italian....

I have been living in Italy for 9 months with my Italian girlfriend who speaks Italian and English. I only know english and to be honest have no recollection of how I learned that. At first I was excited about learning Italian and it appeared easy and logical. Then these "Irregular Verbs" appear, which aren't that irregular at all!! :) All of a sudden for one verb I have to memorize around 20 different mutations!! And after the novelty has worn off and you have to get down to business it is extremely boring to learn another language, I mean look in a dictionary and memorize words. I actually start getting drowsy after 5 minutes and fall asleep.
My girlfriend and I always try to start only speaking Italian in the house but after around 15 minutes we unconsciously revert back to english. Don't get me wrong I do understand quiet a bit of Italian, I can read Italian much better than understanding someone speak it. Thats another thing, some people I can understand 75% of what they say but others I don't have a hope. Italian is a beautiful language but it all sounds like one long word because it flows so smoothly.
When I try to understand people talking I try to translate it in my head into english, comprehend it, then find the words in Italian for a response but I think this mental procedure is taking to long and it is either because I am stupid or I'm learning it the wrong way. By the time I have finished translating the first sentence they are on their seventh sentence and I have missed everything in the middle :) I used to have a Brazilian friend who didn't know much English and used to tell me I spoke to fast and I could never speak slowly enough for them and couldn't understand, Now I Do!!!
Anyway, if anyone knows the average time it should take to learn Italian. Is there anyone who has/had the same problems? I was so cocky before I left country that I would learn it easy in 3 or 6 months tops :)

heheheh...that's cool! i can feel how you felt, since my boyfriend is an italian too...

he want me to learn his language and i fond learning on it by watching movies with translation below and listening some italian music on it...

if you love to learn it would be very easy for you...

and now..im looking for some new friends who are already in italy who can help me an invitation so i can come there and surprise my bf...since i knew his address..

good luck for both of us :)

ciao

Ciao, I know how you feel!  We've got two children who have been totally immersed into local schools and picked up the language within 3 months! On the other hand my husband and I don't use Italian in our work and speak English in the home to keep the boys English up to speed and we're still struggling speaking it after 2 years!
If you aren't forced into using Italian then you'll never actually be able to speak it properly.  It is a real effort and the only way you'll be able to achieve it is by forcing yourself not to speak unless it's in Italian.
I've found Benny Lewis from Fluent in 3 months a fantastic inspiration, his story and the way he goes about learning different languages is practical and really quite logical, although I haven't implemented his methodology yet I do plan to this year when the boys get back to school.
Regards
Peta

ciao peta...grazie for your advise...that couold help:)

peta maybe you like to have some baby sitter or aupair? i actually look for a job in italy as an au pair...or maybe you have some common friends who are looking for an au pair...i am willing to worki with you guys..

anyway, i am a single mom with one son, filipina...and i love kids so much...

looking forward for you reply...

[Moderated]