Learning to speak French

Hello all,

We live in Quatre Bornes. Any idea of a good French conversation teacher here? Someone who is willing to take classes thrice a week or so? We already have some command over French, but need to gain confidence with regular practise.

Hi Kuhelisen. I suggest that you contact l'Alliance française de Maurice (the French equivalent of the "British Council").

http://ambafrance-mu.org/france_maurice … article283

(L'Alliance française de Maurice used to have an antenna (with a library) in Quatre-Bornes, just in front of the municipality, but they closed it.)

Almost everybody speaks french in Mauritius. I shouldn't be a problem to practice. I didn't say it would be easy to learn, but it's not impossible ... "bon courage!"

My wife dont speak french, n she finds it very hard to learn,
i have a friend here married for 8 yrs in the country
she still dont understand or speak.

Everyone is different, the point is to open your ears and
give yourself time to learn, be opened to a new language

That's true samiejoe. I started learning Italian (which I consider to be the most beautiful language in the world) by watching the news on RAI every day. I must say that I was encouraged by the charming ladies who presented the news. :lol:

But, as I said above, if you are looking for a conversation teacher, then, you should contact l'Alliance française. They will be glad to help you (they also have a library in Bell Village).

Not looking at learning French, as I said, we already know a bit of French having done 100 hours in AF (another country). Problem is everyone here speaks in Creole (and not French as is presumed widely). Need to converse with someone for that and have not heard good reports about AF here.