Newcomer questions :)

Hi Guys, these few questions have been running in my head for a while...hope you guys could help me out ;)

I've browed thru the forum and seems that different ppl hv different suggestion on the monthly cost of living...I m an easy going person and if everything goes as planned, I will be coming later this year n working in Mauritius for at least 2 years!

I hope this is not exhaustive..

1. I understand that the income tax rate of 15% if applied on monthly remuneration (after deducting Income Exemption Treshold), paid accomodation n utilities ...is this paid accomodation & utilities add-on strictly enforced? coz if it does, i need to pay more taxes

2. On top of the 15% tax, we still need to deduct another 3% social security from our monthly pay?

3. Bank account - what's the account type for non-citizen like us?  Are we free to send money home every month without any restriction?

4. Occupation Permit - Understand that with an OP, it enables me to work n reside in Mauritius, rite?  Do they normally get renewed when it expires 2/3 yrs later?  What documents they need? I learned that for professionals, the application need to be supported with academic transcripts, is it true?  if yes, i need to bring them with me!

5. Transportation - some forumers say the public transportation in Mauritius sucks, especially after 6pm.  Hence, is it a must to rent/buy a car (my office will be at Cyber Tower, Ebene, PL) for daily commuting?  If yes, rent or buy is better?  Some agency charge MUR20k-30k a mth for a decent small car n i think i can buy one with that kind of money, agree?  well, i do know that the petrol there is expensive too

6. What is the average estimated Monthly cost of living there for a single person like me? accomodation (studio apartment with gd security, flic en flac perhaps?), food (3 meals a day, exclude indulgence), car (small decent car), internet, mobile, utilities, gas, sundries, medical, any other needed payments, etc?  Also, i know that we need to pay for the satelite TV but do we need to pay for the regular local TV show?

7. Are the locals nice ppl n welcome expats like us?  How about the crime rate?

8. Sorry to ask but I used to shop in large supermarkets (tesco, carrefour, ikea, jusco, etc), are there any there?

9. When taking a flight home for visit, do i need to get my employer's approval in advance to obtain clearance from the airport authority? Any such restriction? or I could just fly with a valid passport n air tix?

10. Other than working on weekdays, what does mauritians do on weekends for leisure?

Thanks for helping ya :)

I'm asking the same questions. :)

Hi there, I am Anna and live in Flic en Flac. I can only answer some of the questions. :)
Flic en Flac is pretty expensive as any tourist destinations. So living here will be very nice but shopping and rental a bit more expensive than in center of the island. If you want an appartment or studio with security, pool and all furnished will be around 20 000-30 000 MUR.  ADSL internet is around  900-2000. Electricity can go up to 3000 if you are using a/c
There is no direct public transport from flic to Ebene you have to chnage the bus somewhere in quatre bornes I believe. one way bus ticket will cost you around 20-30 MUR. There are quite big supermarkets hypermarkets in here. Once you have the working permit you can freely fly home and back with your working permit as long as everything is up to date.

If you have any other questions about Flic en Flac let me know. I can also send you some  local links to the listings for long term appartment  rentals, internet, etc.

Hi Anna, thanks for the info.  May I ask besides Flic en Flac, is there other cheaper alternative location that provides good security n convenience?  Seaview n beaches are not a must but its good to have :)

I will try to answer some of the questions:

conface wrote:

Hi Guys, these few questions have been running in my head for a while...hope you guys could help me out ;)

I've browed thru the forum and seems that different ppl hv different suggestion on the monthly cost of living...I m an easy going person and if everything goes as planned, I will be coming later this year n working in Mauritius for at least 2 years!

I hope this is not exhaustive..

1. I understand that the income tax rate of 15% if applied on monthly remuneration (after deducting Income Exemption Treshold), paid accomodation n utilities ...is this paid accomodation & utilities add-on strictly enforced? coz if it does, i need to pay more taxes

It's PAYE (Pay As You Earn) system on a monthly basis; 15% should be the threshold, I don't think you'll have more to pay.

2. On top of the 15% tax, we still need to deduct another 3% social security from our monthly pay?

Try this website : Mauritius Revenue Authority; it'll help answer the tax related questions!

3. Bank account - what's the account type for non-citizen like us?  Are we free to send money home every month without any restriction?

Savings or current account. You can apply for a Foreign Currency account as well. You have major banks like the Mauritius Commercial Bank (MCB) MCB website, the HSBC HSBC website or  Barclays Bank Barclays MRU website. YOu have other banks as well; most expats use the services of the MCB. You are free to send money home every month; but if you are sending more than Rs 500,000 then you hav to see what the regulations are.

4. Occupation Permit - Understand that with an OP, it enables me to work n reside in Mauritius, rite?  Do they normally get renewed when it expires 2/3 yrs later?  What documents they need? I learned that for professionals, the application need to be supported with academic transcripts, is it true?  if yes, i need to bring them with me!

Contact the Prime Minister's Office PMO website regarding Permits, unless some other blogger has any updated info on the subject.

5. Transportation - some forumers say the public transportation in Mauritius sucks, especially after 6pm.  Hence, is it a must to rent/buy a car (my office will be at Cyber Tower, Ebene, PL) for daily commuting?  If yes, rent or buy is better?  Some agency charge MUR20k-30k a mth for a decent small car n i think i can buy one with that kind of money, agree?  well, i do know that the petrol there is expensive too

If you live near Ebene public transport is fine!Yes after 6pm you might not find any transport; then I assume it would be up to the office to arrange for it. Otherwise if you're planning on being here for two years; deal a good car package with the company in order to buy one. Rs. 200,000 will get you a good one!

6. What is the average estimated Monthly cost of living there for a single person like me? accomodation (studio apartment with gd security, flic en flac perhaps?), food (3 meals a day, exclude indulgence), car (small decent car), internet, mobile, utilities, gas, sundries, medical, any other needed payments, etc?  Also, i know that we need to pay for the satelite TV but do we need to pay for the regular local TV show?

7. Are the locals nice ppl n welcome expats like us?  How about the crime rate?

The natives, as an expat referred to the locals as, are not an unpleasant bunch - you will come across some cracked pots here and there, but you should be fine!You'll blend in with the Sino-mauritians.

8. Sorry to ask but I used to shop in large supermarkets (tesco, carrefour, ikea, jusco, etc), are there any there?

You will find good supermarkets here; and more is on the way!

9. When taking a flight home for visit, do i need to get my employer's approval in advance to obtain clearance from the airport authority? Any such restriction? or I could just fly with a valid passport n air tix?

I don't think you need the employers written consent, as long as your permit is valid when travelling from Mauritius and back; otherwise you will not be able to go through immigration.

10. Other than working on weekdays, what does mauritians do on weekends for leisure?

Chill...go to the beach, aqua sports, mountain climbing, clubbing, go for a drink, meet people, go on dates, walking with lions, quad biking, horse riding...anything you fancy as long as it's not illegal ;)

Thanks for helping ya :)

Hope this helps a bit!

To conface: I don't really know prices on other coastal areas you can try  this listing site www (dot) lexpressproperty (dot) com/ and see if you can find one.  I know that the cheapest  apartment I have seen in Flic  with security was 14K and didn't have a table just  two plastic chair near the bar in the kitchen.  :)

Thanks alisa n anna, you guys r superb!

Hope other forumers can help to answer the remaining questions... ;)

So this is my quiestion:
what is about internet there? apartments for rent are usually equipped with internet conenction or not? are there free wifi zones?

how's teh internet connection works in Mauritius?  still using fixed line or using mobile broadband/USB modem?

fir internet options try:
http://www.orange.mu/internet/broadband.php
and
http://www.emtel-ltd.com/data.php?category=13

Andrew