For all you job seekers!!!!

Jobstreet.my

That is the biggest online place for finding employment in KL. As for all of you that would like to come to Malaysia on a tourist visa and stay........ please keep this in mind. You are entering an Islamic country where the 3 main languages are Malay, Cantonese and Indonesian. The English spoken is rare and most don't understand, unless it's at in international hotel such as the one I stayed while visiting Sunway Lagoon. There is enough strife between the Chinese and the Malay already, so unless you can translate any of these languages I would definitely suggest going somewhere else. I don't mean to be rude, but the government is strict in many waysand Malaysia has enough illegal workers already. Just stating the facts. I'd have at least some interviews set up first, and if nothing comes through, enjoy your trip and make sure you have a return flight:)

Hi I disagree. In KL and older people especially speak good English. The language of business is English. I never had issues communication in Malaysia, including a Malay kampung where I once lived. Picking up a little Malay though is a good idea just to be polite.

Malay and Indonesian are quite different, like Portuguese and Spanish which means yes related, but Malay has many English words in it (aktif = active) whereas Indonesia was under dutch rule. Indonesian is flatter in speech and slightly easier to pronouce for a westerner though but vocab building in Malay is far easier.

True don't arrive and expect to get a job, same in UK or USA though! And same regarding illegal workers doing menial jobs.

USA government is strict and imprisons large numbers of black people rather than change the rascist nature of USA. USA invades sovereign states so it's leaders can plunder oil after falsifying evidence. That sounds worse to me! And of course grabs people without evidence or access to a lawyer and tortures them. Good old USA land of torture and imperialism!

If you get my British humour (and the above are facts of imperialistic USA under Bush) you will see he who cast the first stone.....

[edited]

Getting a job in Malaysia with a tourist visa is highly difficult and next to impossible. But finding it difficult to get people who speak English here is not true. However you don't have to expect meeting Malaysian fluent users of English all the way. As for Nemo's view about America, I wont refute your opinion but I will ask you to always remember that US may be bad in some policies but is also much good in other foreign policies. But then, in order not to disgres from the point of Jobstreet.my's post, I suggest you make a post of this issue if you can and then we can argue it

d.carroll, I have to disagree with you. There are lots of people here who speak english. I am a malaysian and while malay and chinese is the most widely spoken, Indonesian is not a main language in Malaysia. Although we do have lots of indonesians working here. Most businesses are conducted in english, unless its a small time sole proprietorship business where the owner may be a not very educated chinese or malay. Most indians here speak good english. As for the goverment being strict in many ways, it is usually only for muslims as they have a tight control on muslims to ensure that they follow all the tenats of islam. If you are a non muslim, then this is a great place as they do not bother what you do or how you live your life as long as its not with a muslim. Meaning if you are a non muslim male, it would be advisable to stay away from muslim woman because if you are caught with her, then you are in trouble. However, feel free to date non muslim woman and you will not be bothered by anyone. But if you are an illegal, then yes you have to beware because if you are ever caught or stopped by a policeman, you will be taken in. Other than that, although corruption is high amongst goverment officials, that would not concern you unless you want to get something done from a goverment department.

Hi,
I am living in Pakistan; I am planning for visit of Malaysia for Job hunting in the field of Finance & Accounting.
I have been visited of UAE couple of time, but I am not aware of Malaysian Custom, & position of Employment out there.
Can anyone help me on in this regards.
Faraz Ahmed

d.carroll wrote:

Jobstreet.my

That is the biggest online place for finding employment in KL. As for all of you that would like to come to Malaysia on a tourist visa and stay........ please keep this in mind. You are entering an Islamic country where the 3 main languages are Malay, Cantonese and Indonesian. The English spoken is rare and most don't understand, unless it's at in international hotel such as the one I stayed while visiting Sunway Lagoon. There is enough strife between the Chinese and the Malay already, so unless you can translate any of these languages I would definitely suggest going somewhere else. I don't mean to be rude, but the government is strict in many waysand Malaysia has enough illegal workers already. Just stating the facts. I'd have at least some interviews set up first, and if nothing comes through, enjoy your trip and make sure you have a return flight:)

Hi Dennis

You mentioned that your wife is from here (I presume she is a Malaysian). Well, I guess she is the right person you might like to consult on the country and its people & culture. I noticed that some of your facts are inaccurate. I have to agree with some of the comments from the rest on the facts.

I hope you will see the truth once you reside here. Malaysian are in general nice and humble people. Welcome to our country!

Cheers,
Chris

I agree with you Carroll

If that women is from malaysia badmouthing Malaysia is not nice at all. I am From Australia been here long time and I could not learn bahasa Malayu( There is no language Malay,there is a Malay race)because evrybody speaks English.
So this women goes to San Francisco most likely after 2 years  officer won't let her in would be correct decision.

Ungreatfull women.Nobody would understand her English in San Francisco.

Well, I haven't kept up with this post in a while, but I was quite disheartened to see how some of the posts have gotten over to my wife? So, let me clarify some things and maybe others may understand a bit better. My wife is chinese and has held a 10 year extended Visa to the USA since she was 5 years old. She studied in London, where she graduated from Manchester University in Business Finance. She was getting her law degree, but in her last semester she decided she didn't want to become a lawyer. Now, please don't get me wrong, a lot of the population does speak English, but most of the English spoken is poor and you can go to many malls, such as the Curve, the Towers, One Utamah and find this. Thinking back I have met a lot of people that have spoken English, and a lot that do not. As I have said before, if I go to Tony Roma's then the English spoken is pretty good, if I go to the restaurant across from my condo, I'm ordering in Malay. Also, the higher the education needed the better the English is spoken. When I got married, I found that in governmental offices, there were people that did not speak English. There are English tuition centers everywhere it seems and many schools where English is taught. But what if the people can't afford the classes? If they speak Malay, do they really need English classes? My wife says English really isn't important unless you want to go overseas to study, therefore a lot of the schools will focus on TOEFL. Unfortunately, some schools teach you "the tricks" to pass, but the student still doesn't know how to use the language. i personally plan on volunteering my time while in KL to teach 2 classes of 10 students each the English language and in turn hope they teach some people close to them. i will also either work for a school there or open up my own. Although I have my own Visa situation taken care of, I do not as of yet, know for sure the laws behind me being able to work in Malaysia while married to a Malaysian citizen. If you have any questions, please ask, this is only from my personal experience. Please keep in mind, everyone's experiences are different. That's why we have forums, so people can hear different perspectives. I am also interested in starting a networking group in KL, where people can get together meet and network together to help each other in different areas, share ideas or just hang out:) We can hold these at the boardroom, or barbeque area of my condo (there's also a pool) or we can meet at local restaurants. See you soon.

Sincerely,
D.Carroll

This Country is Malaysia.
If you want to speak English and you do not want to hear any other language stay where you are or go to GB.
How about you try to learn Bahasa melayu for a change,Why people have to learn English. When you are in  Rome do like  Rome speak Italian.
If whole world  speaks English where is the fun?
Next time before you visit Malaysia gave us a call so we will arrange people to speak only English where ever you go.

meyerlansky wrote:

If you want to speak English and you do not want to hear any other language stay where you are or go to GB.
How about you try to learn Bahasa melayu for a change,Why people have to learn English. When you are in  Rome do like  Rome speak Italian.
Next time before you visit Malaysia gave us a call so we will arrange people to speak only English where ever you go.

You got a good point there Mr Meyerlansky ;)

chrisck9 wrote:
meyerlansky wrote:

You got a good point there Mr Meyerlansky ;)

Thank you for finally expressing the Malay attitude that is so commonly found and that I have been trying to explain to others. Please do not get me wrong, as this is the same attitude you will find in many countries, especially in less liberal individuals here in America. I can't possibly tell you how many times I've heard an American say, "Why do people come to this country and not learn English?". But, with the ever increasing number of immigrants into this country, not everyone does speak English, should I put them down or think less of them because of this? Should they not be allowed to come? Of course not, instead I chose to volunteer my time to help individuals learn the local language for free, What many individuals fail to realize as well, is that being a muslim country, the Prophet Muhammad (SAW), made it imperative and mandatory for muslims to seek knowledge. After one of his first battles, he told the literate prisoners,"Teach 10 people to read and write and I will give you your freedom", teaching 10 people was also equal to the act of freeing one slave. The Malaysian people are a very humble people and I love them with all of my heart, there is much I hope to learn about them and their culture, but this conversation has gone severely off topic, I would like to let people know, that this topic was started so people could know what to expect when searching for employment when an expat. Bottom line, English is not the primary language, don't expect it to be, visit jobstreet.com.my for opportunities, and please don't work illegaly, nobody likes it or aggrees with it. Thank you.

I am Civil Engineer and Living in Egypt 31 years, I visited Malaysia before in tourist trip , I want to know the job opportunity to my carrier especially I have worked with international construction companies and I am familiar with foreign person.
so my inquiry if the chance is good , what are the most famous occupation agents or employment sites which I can contact with.
Finally, I want to thank every one helps us in this site and I am grateful to Malaysia for the great time which I spent it in my trip.

i am 100% agree with every word of Mr. D.Carroll....... i came here in malaysia on a visit visa for job hunt i could stay 90 days legally but its my 22nd day and i am moving back to UAE. i am a pakistani guy 28 years of age, but i was brought up in dubai as all my family well settled there. i have done MBA in business development and owns an XP of 7 years working with diffierent MNCs. my last salary in dubai was 3700USD$.(moderated: abusive language) all about malaysian employers they offered me a salary of 2500RM just bcoz i cant speak chineese or malay.......... and D.carrol is absolutely right.... unless & untill u dont speak at least 1 chineese & local malay dialect here in malaysia its useless to stay here for job hunt..... even if u get 1 the salary will b as low as (moderated: abusive language)........ so better go some other places............ but as far as tourism is concerned malay pplz are gd and they give respect to tourist no matter where ever u r frm..... so i liked the trip in terms of tourism and meeting new pplz and seeing new culture.............. but God forbid malaysia for employment of foreigners.

Regards.

This interesting discussion has actually prompt me to register right away.

Origin of the topic is meant to provide info on job seeking environment for "foreigner" in Malaysia and the best platform to find one.

D. Carroll is right in the main intention of this discussion.

Malaysia is not a good place for foreigner to seek employment. With or without valid permit. However, in my opinion, he is right until this extend.

When an expat is offered a package to work in Malaysia, the package will be a very good one if given to a Malaysian but it will be only enough to interest the expat to think of the job exploration in Malaysia.

But when you come here to look for a job on tourist visa, you are fighting for a job with other fellow Malaysians. Malaysian employers are 200% opportunist. Therefore, you will be offered a Malaysian package (which is not interesting at all but we Malaysian has to keep striving better) or worse.

Therefore, if you plan to come without a permit, don't bother.

Didn't anyone realize Malaysia have brain drain issue? Meaning, Malaysian are trying to look for jobs elsewhere due to uninteresting job environment here. So, why would non Malaysian want to come in and look for a job? Unless you think you are on par with Malaysian or Malaysia looks good for you. Ah ha! That's when the employer get you!

My humble opinion…

I hope the rest of the forums on expat-blog aren't as miserable as this.

I'm about to move to KL (end Nov), I've been there 3 times. I like it. It's a lovely city with plenty of things to do and see. I came here on a tourist visa, and found a job too (although I did email places first).

I have to disagree with the negative posters on here. Yes your salary is less if you don't speak the language, yes English (god forbid) isn't the ONLY or main language spoken here, yes the religions different, yes some Malay people may like to work in other countries, SO WHAT??

Isn't that the whole point of living abroad to experience something new?

OP – Carroll, what might be more useful when starting a thread called ‘For all you job searchers!!' is to post something constructive (a bit more than a website address and a rant). Why not wait until you have found a job (your next thread implies that your excited to be looking for work in KL??), and then tell everyone about the ups and downs of it and how you overcame them.

girlaboutworld wrote:

My humble opinion…

I hope the rest of the forums on expat-blog aren't as miserable as this.

I'm about to move to KL (end Nov), I've been there 3 times. I like it. It's a lovely city with plenty of things to do and see. I came here on a tourist visa, and found a job too (although I did email places first).

I have to disagree with the negative posters on here. Yes your salary is less if you don't speak the language, yes English (god forbid) isn't the ONLY or main language spoken here, yes the religions different, yes some Malay people may like to work in other countries, SO WHAT??

Isn't that the whole point of living abroad to experience something new?

OP – Carroll, what might be more useful when starting a thread called ‘For all you job searchers!!' is to post something constructive (a bit more than a website address and a rant). Why not wait until you have found a job (your next thread implies that your excited to be looking for work in KL??), and then tell everyone about the ups and downs of it and how you overcame them.

This will be the last time that I post on this thread, because so many people seem to just post here to talk crap to others and it saddens me very much. I seriously wish this thread would just be deleted because only the first few people who posted here seem to have known why it was started. On another thread people were talking about coming to KL without a permit and working illegally, I very much disagree with this idea and started this thread to give people a starting place to look for employment and to dissuade others from working here illegally.I love the people here, the different cultures, the food and especially the weather, summertime year round:) As for myself, I replied to 5 ads on jobstreet.com.my and I received 5 replies as early as 8 hours later. I went on an interview and was hired. I am a teacher and educator and my greatest hope is for the success of others. I would very much like to see this thread turning to people helping people with all my heart. I apologize if anyone has taken anything I have said the wrong way as I have never meant to offend anyone. I pray with all my heart that all the negativity on this thread will end now. Let's help each other along with information and ideas, as this forum can be a major resource and help to other people.