Hello world

hello everyone!

I'm a new member of Expat.com and I'm so glad I found this website.I have joined this blog to get in touch with people of different nationalities.

I'm a 25 yr old Filipina.I'm a teacher and I'll go to Vietnam by the end of this month.Can anyone please give me some sensible information about the country - and reliable schools that I can contact? E-mail addresses would be welcome!

All the best for everyone!

Cheers

Hi iamdes,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Vietnam forum for more visibility.

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Thank you!
I really hope that that they will give me the best advise.
I'm looking forward in making new friends!

Hello iamdes,

Which part of the country, or which city, are you planning on going to?  Until then, I suggest that you stick with the private institutions.  Pay is much better than their public counterparts.  Foreign-owned is even better.

Best wish,

hi wild_1!
do you think it's wise to stay in HCMC?
i've heard that there are many opportunities there.
when is the best time to go?isn't it too late for me to go next month?
thanks!

Hi iamdes,

Right now, as we speak, it is not late; but, you are cutting it close.  Public schools will start shortly.  But, like I had mentioned earlier, the private sector is still wide opened.

But, don't you have a job lined up already?  If you don't, then yes, HCMC is your best bet.  It is much like the Shanghai of Vietnam, or the Los Angeles.  It can cost you a bundle if you are just wondering around, not to mention all the pollutions and crazinesses.  But, it is where the action is. 

Plus, for the better paying jobs, that depends on who do you know.  Yes, that is still being practiced here.  If you are on a budget, that is not a course that I would advise.  But, if you are here just to learn about different places and people at your own cost, then don't hesitate.  There are lots to learn here.

Warm regards,
Howie

Hi Wild_1!
I really appreciate your reply.It's a great help for someone like me who is not familiar with Vietnam.
I always search on the internet looking for different classified ads.Passed my resume here and there.Some of them replied but there's no confirmation yet.And I know it isn't enough that's why I want to personally go there and look for a job.
When is the opening of classes of the private sector?Can you recommend another place aside from HCMC?
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you know or heard of a school looking for an English teacher.
Here's my email ad:[email protected]

Regards,
Des

Hello iamdes,

The private schools run year round.  They teach primarily TOFL (if that is how you write it).  Preparing Vietnamese youths for studies abroad is big here. 

Most of these schools tend to hire from agencies in the US, and their hires are mostly temporaries.  Long-term works for foreigners here requires lots of documentations, much of which the schools' adminstrators are reluctant to go through.

The state colleges hire permanents because they are familiar with the processes of registering foreign employees.  But, like I had mentioned in earlier posts, pay is a fraction of the private schools.  The better-connected English teachers teach after hours, usually at their homes.  That is where they make their money.

As for another city aside from HCMC, I would recommend Can Tho.  It is one of 4 major cities in Vietnam.  It is about 170 kms south of HCMC.  Not being a tourist destination, Can Tho is more laid back, people are much friendlier, they take works and schools more seriously.

Keep in touch.  If I stumble across something, I will definitely let you know. 

Best wish,
Howie

A million thanks to you Howie!
I'll also try to find job opportunities in Can Tho.
I prefer simple lifestyle away from the noisy city.
Maybe Can Tho is the right place for me!
Wish me luck!

Regards,
Des