Need tips for moving & living in Munich

Hi All - Need your thoughts/ feedback.

I'm from London with some experience of working & living in Zurich with basic level of German but without practice for the last 3yrs!

I'm looking to move to Munich in Sept with a job for 2 years. Initially it will be myself only. I need your feedback on the following:

* Would like to rent a 2 bedroom furnished apartment; Any tips on dealing with the landlord, rent advance, if references needed etc, etc

*Finding a functional, clean budget Hotel/Motel/Others for the interim period while settling into my job & finding a permanent place to live.

* Local Registration requirements & docs needed for EU citizens

*Opening a German bank account. Can I open one before arriving? What do I need?

*Any other info. tips or suggestion will be gracefully accepted.

Thanks in advance & may your life away from home be well compensated! ;)

(moderated: no free ads please)

Eurocat wrote:

Hi All - Need your thoughts/ feedback.

I'm from London with some experience of working & living in Zurich with basic level of German but without practice for the last 3yrs!

I'm looking to move to Munich in Sept with a job for 2 years. Initially it will be myself only. I need your feedback on the following:

* Would like to rent a 2 bedroom furnished apartment; Any tips on dealing with the landlord, rent advance, if references needed etc, etc

That's gonna be a lot of money. A 1 bed room will be above 1000 Euros in Munich. You are probably looking at about 1500 Euros a month.. at least.

*Finding a functional, clean budget Hotel/Motel/Others for the interim period while settling into my job & finding a permanent place to live.

I would suggest a Hostel

* Local Registration requirements & docs needed for EU citizens

You just need your EU passport

*Opening a German bank account. Can I open one before arriving? What do I need?

Online? No. You will need prove of address. You can get that at the city hall,too

*Any other info. tips or suggestion will be gracefully accepted.

Thanks in advance & may your life away from home be well compensated! ;)