Working/teaching in Vietnam without a degree

I live in England and have a Vietnamese wife, she wants to return to HCMC next year but I am worried that I won't be able to work or get a visa there.

The highest qualification I have is in IT called Comptia A+, which is a low level qualification.

I could get a teaching certificate, but this seems to be of little use if you don't have a degree, which I don't. 

Do I have any chance of getting any kind of work in Vietnam?

Hi Sy, well I work in the IT field and am lucky enough to be working in IT here, but at a high level. There are expat IT jobs, but they are few and far between. TBH I think without significant IT experience and a few more high level certs your probably gonna struggle in that area unless your very lucky.
As far as teaching goes, without a degree none of the big schools will touch you at the moment. However with a teaching certificate  you would\should be able to get work within some of the language centers. Its not great as that means evenings and weekends but you can make a living do that :-)

good luck and on a personal note I'd say make the move :-)

Ps once you've got some teaching experience under your belt, you can get better hours, but you take what you can get for starters :-)

Hi Sygon, :)

With your teaching certificate, you can contact my friend for a teaching job in HCMC: Nhat +848-122 611 7782. Good luck. :)

Thanks laidbackfreak and nhuloan3007 for taking the time to reply.

It's good to know you can still teach without a degree. 

I'm going to contact my local college about the teaching course. Got to get out of this country, can't handle British winters anymore.

sygon wrote:

I'm going to contact my local college about the teaching course.

Might be worth looking at the price of courses here too, they may well be cheaper :-)

sygonGot wrote:

to get out of this country, can't handle British winters anymore.

Tell me about it, I was back there at the end of Feb, god it was cold!! and SO dark!! lol

yeah,how about living here in Norway.Brrrr,-10-20 celcius in winter. Me too, I amd done here and want to live in VietNam in future.
Vietnamese origin,lived in Norway when I was 8 years old.Now returning back to Vietnam as soon as possible.
I have an MCP-it certificate,how about me ?? can I get any jobb in Vietnam with Microsoft MCP  ???? :on

-Tho

Hi Tho, yep I can relate to Norway too, I got married inside the arctic circle we had a heat wave on the day we left it was -22!
Now given your origin your in a slightly different position to the rest of us. I'm assuming you speak viet?
Ok regarding IT qualifications most people here who work in IT have full MCSE and or other certs, CCNA etc. Not all of them have the depth of knowledge that goes with it though. A lot of braindumps are used here. I know that after recruiting staff here. So I'd probably say the same thing, unless you have significant experience (Plus degree) then you may struggle to get passed HR. As i said in your case it may not be that straight forward but check out vietnamworks for some ideas of whats around.

hello laidbackfreak,
First thanks for answering my comment.
Yes,I can speak viet pretty good.I'm planning to take MCSA/MCSE in near future.
I'm kind of hoping to get a support job or something like that in HCMC if I get lucky -:).
First,I just want to take a vacation and live in hmcm and see how things like. I have been back Vietnam twice before,10 years ago. Things have changed alot I think.
Well,you have a nice day.
-Tho

Tho things have changed massively in the last 10 years your in for a bit of surprise I can say! Not least with the traffic.
But with the MCSE\A and your language and the western experiences to go with it you'll be ahead of the game compared to some of the locals here.
Good luck with the move :)

sygon wrote:

I live in England and have a Vietnamese wife, she wants to return to HCMC next year but I am worried that I won't be able to work or get a visa there.

Forgot to mention, the fact your married to a Vietnamese means you should get a visa ok. But that all depends is she Viet Kieu? Or did you meet her here?