Coming to Guangzhou in August. Question on accomodation

Hi,

Nice to meet everyone! I am Ben, from Singapore and I have got a job in Guangzhou and I will start in August. I am Chinese so I speak both Mandarin and English, also I can manage a little Cantonese. Currently I am learning Spanish so if there are any friends from Spain/latin America msg me.

I am really excited about this new position and it will be my first time in China. I do not know much people there so I will need to find some drinking buddies real quick! :)

Currently, I doing research online on the apartment prices, but everything I can find online seems to be a bit pricey. I am looking for a 1 br flat near tianhe district (I think my company is based there. At least based on the contract) with a budget of around 3000 rmb. The cheaper the better.

Thats it for now.. Hi and I look forward to meeting you guys!

Ben

Hello Ben & welcome to Expat.com!

You should post an advert in the Guangzhou classifieds > accommodation section/ flats section.

Thank you,
Harmonie.:)

Thank you! I will do that when I have my dates and location confirmed!

Thanks!

帅哥,你不是会讲中文吗?上赶集网或者58同城啊,上面租房大把大把的,有中介或者是非中介的都有。我也在自学西语,祝进步

Hi,Ben i am new here.i am Chinese also.and live here.if u budget for apartment about RMB3000 u have a lot of choise here.I can not give you any advise because i without know yuor company's exactly address.TianHe is a Big District.
1.if u know chinese you can get to 58.com or ganji.com.u can find apartment in anyplace.
2.if the rental is little bit pricey.try to find where near metro .
3.:p  contact me.  [email protected]  Mobile:008613802766271 kenny

Leo/Kenny, 谢谢你们的推荐。我到赶集和58看过了。我想2000rmb的房子就够了。我暂时还不知道我的公司会在哪。我应该是到了广州在做打算。我要问,如果通过经纪人找房子是有什么收费的?

到了广州我们一起去和就吧!

Thanks Leo and Kenny for you advise. I have looked at 58 and ganji, and I think something around 2000rmb would be fine. I still do not know the exact location of my office. I will settle my accommodation when I reach guangzhou. On ganji, I saw that many people are selling through an agent, do you guys know what the agents charge?

When I reach Guangzhou lets meet for a drink!

Zendryn, could you please post in english ?

thanks !

Zendryn wrote:

Leo/Kenny, 谢谢你们的推荐。我到赶集和58看过了。我想2000rmb的房子就够了。我暂时还不知道我的公司会在哪。我应该是到了广州在做打算。我要问,如果通过经纪人找房子是有什么收费的?

到了广州我们一起去和就吧!

Thanks Leo and Kenny for you advise. I have looked at 58 and ganji, and I think something around 2000rmb would be fine. I still do not know the exact location of my office. I will settle my accommodation when I reach guangzhou. On ganji, I saw that many people are selling through an agent, do you guys know what the agents charge?

When I reach Guangzhou lets meet for a drink!

haha,好的。 随时给电话  到时给你意见。

I repeat, guys, please kindly write in English

Sorry about that. Didn't know it is an English only forum. Will use only English here from now on.

You have to pay agency one month house rent for commission and pay landlord two month house rent for deposit.  I think your budget is fairly enough. Any question, feel free to contact me by msn:[email protected]

Hi Zendryn,

I am a fellow Singaporean working in Guangzhou for the past 3+ years.
Good to hear that you are coming to Guangzhou.

For housing accomodation of 1 bedroom in TianHe Business Central district, an above average apartment rental will cost between RMB 3000 - 4000+.

I am also the current secretary general of the Singapore Chamber of Commerce in Guangdong.
We will be celebrating Singapore National Day on 27 Aug 2011 at GZ Sofitel Hotel.
If you are interested, please email me at [email protected] or log on to our SingCham website at singcham-gd.com for more info.

Cheers!
Jason

Jason! Nice to know another Singaporean in Gz, thanks for the advise also.

I will be coming with another fellow Singaporean who will be embarking on the same program. We will try our best to attend the national day celebrations! I will drop you an email once we have settled down and know our schedule.

btw.  I will be flying next week 17 aug 2011.

Looking forward to meeting all of you in GZ!

Welcome to Guangzhou Zendryn on my birthday !

You don't have to stay in Downtown Tianhe. Subway is so convenient and fast -- find a place close to a subway station and commute. Fangcun are can be a good alternative if you're looking for something cheaper but it's still a pretty good area.

I beg to differ overseaschinese's views.
Subway is convenient and fast BUT it is super pack during peak hours!

Hi.. I'm a singaporean and will be posted to work in Foshan. Thinking of staying in guangzhou which has more activities.. I'm not too sure of the travel distance between foshan and Guangzhou though. Possible by public transport? Or if cab, will it be v expensive? Next, I would like to see if you guys can assist to give me some idea on accommodation. I'm looking for a place to stay come jan when I'm in Guangzhou. Not sure if you guys have contacts for agent or direct landlord to intro? I'm pretty lost actually as i've nv been posted before.. Appreciate help and direction. :)

Regards
Happypeg

Hi Happypeg, great to hear that a fellow Singaporean is coming to work in Foshan/Guangzhou.

Foshan borders Guangzhou and thus it really depend on which part of Foshan you are working.
For example, Foshan Intercontiental Hotel is just at the Foshan-Guangzhou border. And, if you are staying at Guangzhou Fang Cun area, it just takes 10-15mins to reach.
But, if your working location is at the other side of Foshan, then it can take up to 1-2 hours to reach from Guangzhou.
FYI, there are also subway/metro/MRT that connect the 2 cities.
I guess, not many can advise you unless you give more details.

Cheers!

There are a lot of cheaper areas for people not scared to commute. I may not live in a prime place, but my apartment is nice and cheap! I do however walk 15 minutes to the metro to leave the area though.

apartments in tianhe should be a little bit expensive.
others along the metro line are much cheaper, and convenient all the same.
if you can speak cantonese, contact the agency or 58.com as the local people do. don't mention u r from Singapore until u decide to sign the contract. so u can try to bargain a price for local people, not for foreigners.

Yea.. I tried going 58.com to search for some
apartments but have yet to find anything I like. :)

I can speak cantonese but not proficient. Sure, I'll look around to know more. Thanks for your assistance. :)

Hi, I'm Red a singaporean and will be working in Guangzhou. I would like to know more friends here :)

Um... Im In Guangzhou too :D ill be here for like 10 days i think wait no 8 days then HONG KONG for 2 days i think i might go to Macao tho haha My Family owns like 3 Apartments im pretty sure in guangzhou im not sure if any spaces are open but i can ask haha

Hello Fren

Welcome to Giangzhou...

I am an Indian residing in GZ for job. well I have my own apartment with an empty room, and you can stay in my apartment, till you find a suitable one for you. I am alsonew and single and would be nice to have you here to share my lonlyness.
Mark
[email protected]