Hallo Motabike ?

What's up Ho Chi Minh City dwellers?

Just popped in to wave at you and introduce myself and all that.
Got here just 3 weeks ago with my husband and son, never been or lived in Vietnam before but so far I really like it. We plan to stay here for at least one year, maybe two. Finally found an apartment in Tân Bình, and a kindergarden near the Hoang Van Thu Park triangular Park. Now we just want to find interesting things to do!

Also, I wanted to ask what's the best way to learn how to ride a motorbike? And most of all, what is the best way to secure a 2 year-old on those bikes ? We've been walking and pushing a stroller ever since we got here and it's been sometimes difficult, sometimes very scary. I noticed that many vietnamese drive around with their kids on motorbikes just sitting on their laps, or on those tiny chairs that look like they can fall over at any time.

Is there a way that I can make a moped safe for my kid? Or are we doomed to push a stroller on broken/inexistent traffic-loaded sidewalks?

Any tips?

Hi Maud, a lot of the chairs etc are pretty well fitted and most of he places that sell them will help fit them for you. As to safety well your on two wheels its never as safe as a car, but as long as your sensible then you shouldn't have too many problems.

Learning to ride a bike is easy enough as long as you forget your western ideas of driving rules and think more about your immediate surroundings.
I offer lessons if needed and have over 30 years experience of riding bikes. Depending on your ability and confidence it doesnt take too long.

Good luck and welcome to Vietnam.

Ps there are lots of interesting things to do and wont take you long to start to find them :-)