Neighborhoods overview from an expat perspective?

Hi all,

I'm a New Orleans girl whose husband is in negotiations right now for a position in Amsterdam. We're definitely solidly middle-class, though I believe this position will be a bump up in salary (we'll see!). In any case, we're going to turn our attention to preparing for an eventual visit to search for housing. I understand we'll be looking on the private market (i.e. not rent-controlled), and we may use a broker or agent. Not sure yet.

I'm hoping you would be willing to suggest neighborhoods for us to focus on? We're fairly "progressive types" who like walkability, public transportation, friendly neighborhood cafes/businesses/shops, markets for food that tend toward farmer's markets, fresh foods, etc. We have two young children (ages 3 & 9) so playspaces/parks would be nice.

We're perfectly willing to be in a modern apartment building, or a renovated old building. We'd like to be in the city proper rather than in a suburb because we assume that would be a more quality and authentic living experience (we're NOT into Americanized food & chain establishments).

Any suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also, we know that school option(s) may influence where we land, but at least I'd like to know some places to AVOID or to gravitate to in advance, if possible :-)

I cannot give you any advise on Netherlands housing, and esp. Amsterdam,
since I am a newcomer, only 2 months here,
and living in the Hague.

Amsterdam rents are sky high (you can compare the to London and Paris prices), but again this is from an European and Greek perspective, having in mind my range of salaries.
It depends on your income.

What I am sure, is that any Dutch house/appartment will look to you VERY small (for its price), because you come from US.
They look small even to Greeks when we come to Holland for the first time.

the following 2 sites is what I used to looked for my 1st appartment:
funda.nl
pararius.com

if you find dutch-only sites, look for these key words:
HUUR, TE HUUR = rent, to rent
KOOP, TE KOOP = to buy

Even if you cannot spend so much time on the sites, to select a house, they are useful to get a taste of prices,
interior photos of homes, and also use Google Streetview to
get a taste of the neighborhouds.

(all listed properties there, are listed by agents. Not by individual owners)
so, when you find an interesting property you can find contact info for its agent, phone, site, mail, etc.

You can choose a specific property on your own, and speak with the agent.
or, you can first select an agent, and ask him/her to show you around, advice, negociate on your behalf (for any property, not only for his/hers list).

-------------------------------------------------

If you do not want to pay agent commision, you can look on your own in
marktplaats.nl
but it would be a bit difficult, with no dutch, no knowledge of the local laws, no knowledge of the "shaddy", or "nice" neighborhouds, to have a good deal.
--------------------------------------------------

What is very difficult to find on your own,
is what is the style, or reputation of each neighborhoud.
You have to trust an agent (which, may direct you to the most pricey/classy parts of the city, where ambassadors and executives live, just to get a higher commision).
or you can try to contact english speakers, US or British expats, living here, before you arrive, and get a friendly advice.

visit the AMS blogs section, and you'll find some
https://www.expat.com/en/directory/euro … amsterdam/

Thank you ~ lots of helpful info.  Much appreciated.