Imported items need not be over inflated

I've read in some forums about how imported items sold here like electronics and luxury brands particularly American or European are over priced.  Although most are correct some are not so if you know the right people or know where to look. 

For vitamins, supplements, toiletries etc. you can go to Greenhills Shoppesville or Cash and Carry Makati and find that the prices offered are similar to Amazon or just slightly higher.
These items are authentic and have entered the country via grey channel of balikbayan boxes.

For SLR cameras and accessories, see this link digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=5333
The prices offered are similar or lower compared to those in U.S., Europe and even Hong Kong or Singapore.

For LCD/LED, Plasma TVs you can go to Sights and Sounds or Listening in Style at Shangri-La Plaza.  They offer their merchandise at a significantly (subjective) lower price compared to big chains like SM Appliance or Abenson.  The rule of merchandising display and inventory plays a big part here.  Prices are still high compared to US or Europe but if you include shipping and insurance, after sales support etc. then the gap becomes smaller.  The volume here just can't match those of Europe and North America.

For higher quality furniture you can check out Decor/Light Source in Glorietta, Shangrila, Sta.Mesa, or Megamall.  If you are into the high end stuff then Furnitalia at the Fort and Dexterton at G.Araneta or Greenbelt 5 offer Italian brands.  Prices are usually SRP but you can negotiate for a discount.

Forget the designer labels at Greenbelt unless they have their end of season sale because even at 20% discount their prices are still comparatively high.

Luxury watches like Rolex, IWC etc are actually lower here compared to high volume market like Hong Kong and Singapore.  You just need to know the right people to give you the extra discount.  But even without the discount the list price (limited edition pieces for example) is already cheaper here compared to those abroad.

European brands technically should be lower in pricing because VAT in Europe hovers around 19 to 20%.  When they export their products the VAT is removed and so are the dealer margins.  When they arrive at their intended destination outside Europe the importer/distributor has a big margin to play with and thus can offer it at a lower price but might not be allowed to publicly display it to protect their international counterpart. 

Happy hunting.

I dont think the forum discusses imported and luxury brands meant literally per se.

What were the discussion was, things that are for average people in most advanced countries, are considered 'luxurious' in the Philippines. Hence it is being taxed exorbitantly.

I'll give you an example:

- Used 4WD Hybrid car (Ford Escape) with 50k miles - Php 1.5M
That's already a price of a brand new SUV with full gizmoz.

- A mountain bike (Trek) weighs 15lbs - Php 60,000
I am paying in the US approx $ 400 the most, it comes with 27 gears

- New Bed + Mattress (orthopaedic) Php 170,000
I would pay $2000 the most and it comes with 2 year financing interest free

- Burberry perfume (large) - Php 5000 (if you are lucky)
I pay not even $50 in Burlington Coat Factory

- Good quality shoes Price in Php from 5000 to 15000
I dont even pay $30 for a pair of shoes in the US. I can get Calvin Klein in Cosco except for mountaineering shoes.

- Wine (Port) Php 2500 / Wine (Chardonnay)
I pay the same brand in BevMo for $10 + second bottle for $ 0.05 cents (buy 1 take 1)

Now you can compare if its really cheap in the PH.

vin30 wrote:

I've read in some forums about how imported items sold here like electronics and luxury brands particularly American or European are over priced.  Although most are correct some are not so if you know the right people or know where to look. 

Happy hunting.

I was not refering to this forum (expat-blog) per se.  My point was that with a little patience and research people can get some items that are exorbitantly priced in malls and showrooms at a price significantly lower.  Possibly lower or equal to countries that are known for their low prices on a particular item.  The locals, being locals already know where to shop but a lot still do not.  Or they just don't want to go through all the hassle to save a couple of thousands or ten.  Just like in Hong Kong where the electonics stores in high tourist foot traffic have different pricing to those that serve the locals.

I do understand your point.

But how do we know that the stuff that we are buying are actually 'genuine' and not 'counterfeit' ?

It is very common in Asia that stores selling counterfeits are not prosecuted.

I have been to so many stores looking for hardwares for autos, computers and I see so many fakes that I'd rather choose to pay a little bit of dough just to be on the safe side.

Buying fake auto-parts has the danger of car accident in the future, and so goes the same with peripherals and appliances.

I do not mean to say that in the US there aren't fakes on sale. Actually there are a lot of fakes arriving in the port. But stores selling it are continually being round up, fined and prosecuted, not only that, we buyers have more protection, as we can return stuff, that we deemed low quality.

vin30 wrote:

I was not refering to this forum (expat-blog) per se.  My point was that with a little patience and research people can get some items that are exorbitantly priced in malls and showrooms at a price significantly lower.  Possibly lower or equal to countries that are known for their low prices on a particular item.  The locals, being locals already know where to shop but a lot still do not.  Or they just don't want to go through all the hassle to save a couple of thousands or ten.  Just like in Hong Kong where the electonics stores in high tourist foot traffic have different pricing to those that serve the locals.

When purchasing any items we must practice due diligence and common sense specially if the items being purchased are high ticket or when safety is a primary concern.  Doing those is self explanatory.  If anyone here is planning to buy somethings that they think are overpriced PM me and I might be able to point you to the right directions or tell you instantly if it's better to just get them abroad.

What about ordering stuff from Amazon? I have only been here since feb 5. And already got burned buy customs. Ordered wallet 60.00 usd 30.00 usd to ship and 4000.00 pesos to customs here! Any way around customs?

They must have considered the wallet a luxury item and looked up the value on their price list.  I just paid 750php for a order of replacement parts for my weather station which I paid 50.00USD plus 40.00USD shipping.  It is just something you have to live with.  I try and find it here already in the Philippines before I go online and order it.

Also if you buy DVD movies online make sure they are made for this region or they will not play on the players here, unless they are set to region free DVD player.  None of my USA dvd's work here, except on my computer.

TC RAC

Jameskleach wrote:

What about ordering stuff from Amazon? I have only been here since feb 5. And already got burned buy customs. Ordered wallet 60.00 usd 30.00 usd to ship and 4000.00 pesos to customs here! Any way around customs?

My mother in law used to send us stuff for Christmas via USPS. Customs wanted to charge me for almost the same price as the items sent.  They said that the cost of shipping is added to the value of the items. And I didn't want to send the items back because it might offend my mom.

I got this tip from a Philippine postal worker, which may answer your question: the way around customs is under the table. One yellow paper under is better than the four blue ones over. I'm not saying you should do the same. Just sharing what somebody said.

I guess it's just the way of life here. Either go with it, or go over your budget.

Easy enough just not to order anything from overseas now that i know.

For items coming from USA, you can use a multitude of shipping/forwarding companies that does just that. They compute for customs and shipping together although it would only be estimates. One website I like is Galleon.ph because the prices they show are inclusive of everything already. They do the purchase, handling and shipping door to door nationwide (in the Philippines at least)