Advice From Anyone?

Recently joined this forum in the hope of gathering ideas for moving to Amman. I am fortunate in that my companion is a native and we plan to put a couple of cars in the street as taxis for an income. Since 2003 I have traveled to Jordan six times and visited most of the sites. Now, I'm anxious to begin life as a "local"

I hope some of you members will have some bits of advice or stories to share. I look forward to hearing from any and all of you!  Perhaps my companion and I can meet you for coffee or drinks? :cheers: Thanks!:D

Well, I would just like some advice - about the immigration rules here - if not actually married to a Jordanian (as I assume from the reference to "companion") how does a foreign national get permission to stay beyond the 3 or 6 month tourist visa? (If not in formal employment - either not working or in a small business such as the taxi)

As a spouse of a Resident of the Palestinian Authority, I qualify for submitting my visa renewal forms directly to the Ministry of Interior.  I still have to get a visa, but I don't have to leave the country to do so. 

You should consider the following issues.  If you are not married then you cannot take advantage of the legal relationship in order to facilitate visa renewal.  I don't know if Jordan has temporary residency status for foreigners, but you should look into it.  Keep in mind that if you aren't married to your partner, you will be looked down on...if you are not the same religion as your partner you will be looked down on.

You are going to invest $$ into the economy.  this is the basis on which you should request a residency permit.  there may be minimum investment and/or other requirements. 

The worst case scenario is that you cross the border every now and again to get your visa renewed.  People do it all the time in Palestine.

Thank you for the advice. Does anyone know what minimum investment amounts or other requirements, apply for Jordan?