Info about Kuwait

Hi everyone,

Below is some information about Kuwait that I've compiled. I have categorized it so that it is easy for you to find what you might be looking for information about.  Note that this list is not exhaustive (I'm sure I'm missing a lot of info). I'm hoping this can start a thread for people to add on to the list :)

I hope you will find it useful (especially the recent newcomers):

Leisure

- The Scientific Center: tsck.org.kw
(Around the Scientific Center is a great place for morning or evening walks, as well).

- The Kuwait Little Theatre Club: theklt.com
Went to one play so far and it was really enjoyable!

- Kuwait agenda (to find out about events and activities): kuwaitagenda.com/index.php

- Kuwait Camel Racing Club: georhythm.blogspot.com/2006/11/kuwait-camel-racing-club
This was a great experience!  When I was part of the Social Committee at the school that I was working at, we organized an outing to Chabd, where the camel racing takes place.  Very fun to watch! :)

- Nuzha Touristic enterprises: nuzhatours.com/sample3_aboutus
(They organize desert camping and diving trips, among other activities).

- “What to do in Kuwait” from “Lonely Planet”: lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1111252&start=0&tstart=0

- Canadians in Kuwait events: canadiansinkuwait.community.officelive.com/Events.aspx

- French Embassy of Kuwait: ambafrance-kw.org/
(They organized a jazz concert once, it was amazing! They might announce similar events on their website)

- Cinemagic Kuwait: cinemagics.com/default.htm
(One of their activities is open air, outdoor cinema, somewhere in Salmiya)

- Khiran Resort (which I've been too, it's pretty nice): khiranresort.com

- Failaka Island: ferry leaves from Ras Al Salmiya (or Ras Al Ard?) ferry terminal near the Scientific Center. Not sure about departure timings; you can go to the ferry terminal itself to get the schedule of departure timings. There isn't much to do in Failaka but the boat ride, I find, was really enjoyable. There is a private beach in Failaka. 

- Friday market: lonelyplanet.com/kuwait/kuwait-city/sights/market/friday-market-souq

- Tariq Rajab Museum: trmkt.com

- Grand Mosque tour: worth the visit! The AWARE Center often organizes guided tours on Saturdays (see info about AWARE Center below).

- Ice skating: kuwaittourism.com/Ice-Skating-Rink.html 

Organizations

- AYMSTRONG: aymstrong.com/us/
(An organization aiming to provide grounds for life-changing opportunities by functioning as a gateway to individual wellbeing and self-actualization.  They indoctrinate positive changes through programs and events revolving around healthy and productive lifestyles.)
(Look into it if you are interested in group walking, group exercise). I believe they meet up somewhere near the Hardrock Café for walks; you might find more details about that (time, day, etc.) on the website.

- TIES Center: tiescenter.net
(Ties is a unique non political NGO serving Westerners in Kuwait with a verity of services like language classes, cultural tours, social events, Islamic information,  cooking classes etc.)

- AWARE Center: aware.com.kw
(The AWARE center is dedicated to become the cultural gateway for westerners to explore Arab/Islamic culture and civilization by facilitating social encounters, educational activities, dialogue, cultural exchange, and intercultural friendship.)

Bookshops (other than the Virgin bookstore in Marina Mall):

- Q8 books in Kuwait city: q8books.com/Q8B/eQ8home.asp
    - Al Muthana Kuwait bookshop in Al Muthana Complex in Kuwait City:    kuwaitagenda.com/en/shopping/general/704-best-bookshops-in-kuwait.html
    - Jarrir Bookstore: jarirbookstore.com/html/showrooms-kuwait.asp

Animals

- K's PATH: kspath.org

- PAWS: paws-kuwait.org/blog/?lang=en
(can adopt a pet from both of these organizations above)

Gyms/Health Clubs

- Flex Fitness: flexfitnessq8.com
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=27

- The Palms: thepalms-kuwait.com

- Hilton: 1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/KWIHIHI-Hilton-Kuwait-Resort/index.do

- Holiday Inn (there is one in Salmiya and one in Kuwait City): holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/kuwait-city/kwime/hoteldetail

- Crowne Plaza: kuwait.crowneplaza.com/kwikw/facilities

- Curves: curves.com/locations/results.php?country=KW&searchType=country

- Pilates & More: pilatesandmoreq8.com

- Champions: kuwaitagenda.com/en/sports-a-outdoor/general/705-champions-ladies-health-club (couldn't find official website).

Environment

- Metal and Recycling Company: mrckw.com/default.aspx?id=1

- The Green Target Company: gtc-kuwait.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Ordering DVDs online(delivered to your home)

- q8dvd.com/site

Food

- Ordering food online: 6alabat.com/ and ieatonline.com/

- The Yummy Guide: theyummyguide.info

Miscellaneous

- To stay informed about events in Kuwait, to read classifieds, etc.:
expatserviceskuwait.com/EEK%20Expats%20Express%20Kuwait%20ad1 and grapevinekuwait.com/index
I suggest you subscribe to the newsletter: [email protected]

- Living in Kuwait, Resources for Expatriates: transitionsabroad.com/listings/living/living_abroad/living_in_kuwait.shtml

- Cinemas: webserver2.kncc.com/index.php

- Map of Kuwait city: askmaps.com/001/ml275.php

- Kuwait Times Newspaper: kuwaittimes.net

- Used cars: kuwait.q8car.com/en/cars/default.aspx

- Pack and Move (moving company): packandmove.com.kw

Cinemagic's open air cinema is in old salmiya, directly above LG, (take the elevator up, join the facebook group for a monthly show list) on the same side as Next, X-cite, Sports Corner etc. u kno, where they have the delicious quarter KD ice-cream (all-vanilla for me plz ;) )

Tareq Rajab museum, how that brings back memories :P went for a field trip there with my first school, then found out that my second school owned it, and the field trip was a short walk from the premises (very boring when ur a kid and love taking the bus to strange places, will never forget that bus ride to the KLT, Ahmadi may as well have been saudi arabia that distance was soo long!)

very informative, thank you for the effort :D

Ahmadi really is a far ride! KLT should relocate lol :)

No problem, hope the information is useful.

Great POST SaharEl!! ;)

Very Informative Sahar :)
You know you can expand this post by listing your experience in every one of them, but expand them one by one so they don't take the glory from each others

You are right From_Lebanon!:one

Thanks for the suggestion :) Good idea..anyone is welcome to ask questions about anything in particular that might interest them and then I can expand.

i want to move there and i have 3 kids ..i want to make a new life ..anything i should know or consider before doing this ???

yes Brandi; first off and pardon the forwardness but, are u married? coz in terms of work visa, yes u can get that, but usually children are put as dependents on their fathers visa, otherwise u'd have to fly them out every 3 months to a nearby country (i.e. an exit stamp from Kuwait airport) and back again for another 3 months visa.

depending on ur qualification, u can start a general google search of "X" job in Kuwait, or go to bayt.com, monstergulf.com for a more indepth search.

it all depends on u :)

Good post

great and informative post ,,, I'm moving to kuwait next week and u made my start a bit easier with ur note :)

Glad to hear that! :)

Good luck with your move to Kuwait, I hope it will be smooth.

Hi Brandi,

I am not sure what your situation is but as long as you have the paperwork for your children if you are not married you WILL be able to get a visa for them and NOT have to do visa runs.

I have my three children with  me and I have NEVER had any problem getting my visas for my children here or in any other gulf country I have worked in.

The thing is you MUST have all the paperwork attested BEFORE the start the visa process. After that its easy.

Yes, IF you aremarried the children will go under the fathers visa but if you are divorce, widowed or never married, then they can go under yours.

I have done it and I know of atleast 15 families in Kuwait that have dont this as well.

Moving to Kuwait with children can be expensive. School fees here can eat up all your money. I would really think about and get in contact with some schools before you ever start looking for a job.

If you are from the states you can alwasy homeschool. There are TONNNNNNNS of programs that are reasonable and they are like going to school back home. I would rather my kids have a HS diploma from the US than here becasue it will be much easier for them to get into college.

Good luck!!

Hi everyone,

Here is a link which contains a document with a myriad of information about Kuwait:

file:///C:/Sahar/Kuwait/NEW!%2520Welcome%2520to%2520Kuwait%2520The%2520Definitive%2520Version%5B2%5D.htm

You will probably need to copy/paste the link into your browser.

A friend of mine sent this to me when I came to Kuwait. There are many ideas of activities and things to do and just general information about Kuwait. Lots of contact info as well.

Hope it will be useful!

Sahar