HSBC Expat survey ranks Philippines #10 in the World

This is a survey commissioned by HSBC. For expats with no children, the Philippines was ranked #10 in the world, measured across 2 dimensions (economics and experience) above HK,South Africa,Canada, Switzerland,Australia, United States ect.
http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/

Country Rank Score Rank Score
Bahrain *   1     
Bermuda *   2     
Singapore   3   
Thailand *   4   
United Arab Emirates   5   
Russia *   6     
Saudi Arabia *   7   
Qatar   8   
Malaysia *   9   
Philippines *   10     
Hong Kong   11   
South Africa *   12     
Canada   13     
Switzerland *   14     
Australia   15   
United States   16   
China   17   
Mexico *   18     
Spain   19   
France   20   
Belgium   21   
Germany   22   
United Kingdom   23   
Netherlands   24   
India *   25 

For economics alone, Philippines was ranked even higher at #8 in the world.
Wow, nice! But, I know the bashers in this forum can't wait to bash the Philippines and whine like a bunch of babies once again. But, all I can say is, bash the Philippines all you want and it won't change a thing on this survey from the past 2 years.

If you measure it across 3 dimensions where the * came from, (economics, experience, offspring) there is not enough data so it was omitted. Well, the same can be said for countries like Switzerland, Saudi Arabia,South Africa, Bermuda ect, where a sufficient data concerning offspring were not include.. Possibly many of the expats in these countries were without children, like my situation young and single with no children.

Notable headlines from the previous year as well:
"Last year expats in the Philippines made the headlines ranking the 8th wealthiest country in the World with over 30% saying they had more disposable income since moving. Expats based there were also the most likely to have domestic help with 90% of respondents employing staff at home. Expats were also able to buy more luxuries with 38% owning more than one property, 43% owning a property with a swimming pool and 67% taking more exotic holidays.
  Finding accommodation and quality of accommodation was ranked particularly high. Expats also enjoyed a fulfilling social life participating in a range of entertainment and finding it easy to integrate and make new friends.

Here is how some of last year's respondents described their lives in the Philippines:

“Highly privileged and enriching. Lucrative yet humbling and a very special way of seeing and experiencing what the world has to offer.”

“We all enjoy living the expat lifestyle as company pays for healthcare, schooling, and utilities therefore allowing us to save money to enjoy earlier retirement.”

“It has been the most rewarding & most challenging experience of my career!

Here is a synopsis of the methodology from HSBC:
The Expat Explorer survey, now in its third year, is the largest global survey of
expats. Commissioned by HSBC Bank International and conducted by third party
research company GfK, 4,127 expats were questioned through an online survey
between 26th April 2010 and 7th June 2010, with expats from over 100 countries
worldwide taking part – making this unique survey the largest of its kind. Individuals
from four continents described the opportunities and challenges they experience
living away from home. The survey provides an insight into how expat life differs
from country to country, continent to continent and from an expats' country of origin.

A sample size of 30 or more respondents with children from each country was
required for inclusion in the Offshore Offspring league tables, in order to be
considered robust and indicative of the views and trends of the specific population it
relates to. The league tables are based on a series of interrelated factors (rather than
a single factor or question) to ensure a fair assessment of how individual countries
rate across the full criteria. The responses of those who responded “not applicable”
or “refuse to say” have been excluded.

Hello Sydneygirl!

Thank you for this sharing.

Harmonie.:)

Interesting and informative article.  With the relatively low cost of living in the Philippines compared to the income of expats they really can have a meaningful and comfortable living.  Here's a link of the opposite in terms of economics unless the companies adjust the compensation to suit these cities. 

businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jun2011/bw2011068_344822.htm

I'd rather read an independent media report like CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, BBC, Sydney Morning Herald. Because independent report have less biased opinion.

cnbc.com/id/34259482/The_Best_Countries_for_Expats

Rank No. 10 is Hong Kong

I take it this is for a working person not of retirment age. Because 4 middle eastern countries in the top ten. Puleeeeeeeeze. Anyone who bashes the phil should do a couple of tours there.

vin30 wrote:

Interesting and informative article.  With the relatively low cost of living in the Philippines compared to the income of expats they really can have a meaningful and comfortable living.  Here's a link of the opposite in terms of economics unless the companies adjust the compensation to suit these cities. 

businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jun2011/bw2011068_344822.htm

Vin,
Yes, I agree and I think that's one of the reasons the expats rated it so high and I would agree with them as well.

Btw, thanks for all your post, your post are always very informative:)

The rank No. 10 were in terms of 'economics' - based on pay check and 'experience'.

If you take out 'economics', the ranking falls down.

It does not provide also with overall ranking due to insufficient data to which I am not surprized.

Its what I am talking about, I suspect it from the beginning the rankings were based on expats who probably bank with HSBC.

What about those who do not like HSBC ?

female_expat wrote:

The rank No. 10 were in terms of 'economics' - based on pay check and 'experience'.

It does not provide also with overall ranking due to insufficient data to which I am not surprized.

Its what I am talking about, I suspect it from the beginning the rankings were based on expats who probably bank with HSBC.

Nice try buddy! What are you 90 years old? Next time learn how to use your computer and check boxes Economics and Experience  on the menu!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6086/double20facepalm1.jpg

ACE!!!

Peace guys, peace !

Sydneygirl

Are you so annoyed that someone is not agreeing your opinion ?

I don't know which university have you been to but we the western educated learn it to accept that 'others' disagree on our opinion and we still accept it to be valid.

Perhaps if you read more economic theories, you may find that different world known Economist have different outcomes in their recommendation and no one imposes or calls them 90 yr old.

A respectable Alan Greespan even was criticized and was partially blamed for the housing meltdown.

Seriously do not bring your 'b.s. authoritarian' attitude in here as this is not China journal or Saudi Arabia media.

More OPINION, less ATTRITION and learn how to respect 'others' beliefs and views.

Sydneygirl wrote:
female_expat wrote:

Nice try buddy! What are you 90 years old? Next time learn how to use your computer and check boxes Economics and Experience  on the menu!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6086 … epalm1.jpg

Peace Guys! In Vietnam, and there's not a lot of Argueing here..except when you buy something from the vendors..